Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-26-2003, 03:38 PM   #1
Fastracehorse

Are 134 longshots good??

That is what I posted on DRF this year: 134 top pick longshots ( 6-1 or more ).

I tried to do it with integrity too. That is, I posted whom I thought would win the race ( favorite or longshot ) - didn't matter the odds. I posted alot more than 134 winners - I am just talking about longshots.

Why??

I guess I like to show that my methods have life.

Two things: I didn't post the month of Nov. and I got off to an unusually slow start.

I remember quite a few longshots that I didn't have time to post this year. One that sticks out in my mind is a + $100 winner at Gulfstream I didn't post. But, thankfully I did post two of those scuds.

Good luck to all the other bombers out there!

fffastt
Fastracehorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2003, 04:09 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Cool and your point?

And the point of this post was?????
Old 12-26-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
JimG

Re: Are 134 longshots good??

Quote:
Originally posted by Fastracehorse@DRF
That is what I posted on DRF this year: 134 top pick longshots ( 6-1 or more ).

fffastt
To answer your question...NO...You are just pulling down your own odds posting such horses on public boards and stroking your own handicapping ego.

Last edited by JimG; 12-26-2003 at 04:30 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
keilan
Veteran

Quote:
You are just pulling down your own odds posting such horses on public boards and stroking your own handicapping ego.

Jim, do you really think guys like this whom post more a few thousand picks annually are wagering on their selections? For everyone he hits he's probably wrong 30 times, nobody is playing his picks.

I asked him this question October 4th,2003 after again reading about his amazing accomplishment.

"Questions for ya -- of the 120 long shots hit this year 1)how many races have you posted? 2)how many horses have you picked to finish 1st which paid $10.00 or less".

My question then, was met with a degree of hostility as I'm sure this post will garner.
keilan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #5
JimG

Quote:
Originally posted by keilan
Jim, do you really think guys like this whom post more a few thousand picks annually are wagering on their selections?
No I don't. Seems like a big waste of time.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2003, 04:27 AM   #6
Fastracehorse

Just Ralph.

The point was a question.

Are 134 longshots good??

fffastt
Old 12-27-2003, 04:28 AM   #7
Fastracehorse

Jim G.

<To answer your question...NO...You are just pulling down your own odds posting such horses on public boards and stroking your own handicapping ego.

What I meant was: Is a method that picks 134 longshots good??

I have noticed bets on my selections.

fffastt
Old 12-27-2003, 04:37 AM   #8
Fastracehorse

Keilan.

<Jim, do you really think guys like this whom post more a few thousand picks annually are wagering on their selections? For everyone he hits he's probably wrong 30 times, nobody is playing his picks.

Yes, I do wager on many of those winners. The two posted $100 + horses I did wager on.

1 for 30?? Random # chosing would produce a better result than 1 for 30.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<Questions for ya -- of the 120 long shots hit this year 1)how many races have you posted? 2)how many horses have you picked to finish 1st which paid $10.00 or less".

A better question is: Of all the longshots that won at the tracks you posted, how many did you identify with your top pick??

Remember Keilan, I am at a 33% disadavantage immediately with only the public choice. What about the 2nd, 3rd, and, 4th favorites??

fffastt
Old 12-27-2003, 10:41 AM   #9
BIG HIT

GREAT JOB

I think it is great if you made a profit.? That's all that count's at the end.And only you can if your approach is better above or at 6 to 1 or above rather then lower price horse.
Glad for you hope next year is even better.I would sure be interested in how you sort out your contender's. But happy new year to you and all other's on this board
BIG HIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2003, 11:08 AM   #10
Larry Hamilton

You picked 134 longshots in one year? Now you tell everyone you can pick longshots. It wont take much untill you are betting on a 4:5 longshots. How many betters do you think it takes to ruin a longshot at Penn?

Years ago, with my brother at Charlestown, I stumbled on a pick I liked at 30:1. I put 200 on this one to win. The odds immediately dropped to 15:1. My brother and his friends wanted a piece and the odds slid to 7:1. Hell, why didnt I tell every one in the joint, maybe I could have made it the favorite!!!

The point is if you and your angle are good, talking about it is going to slide you to the mean.

You want another example--ask Andy Beyer what he thinks of the profitability of his speed number. The hardest part about this game is if you have something that works--SHUT UP.

Last edited by Larry Hamilton; 12-27-2003 at 11:10 AM.
Larry Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Cool definition

definition of a longshot? I had two $100 plus horses this year....now I understand that is a longshot.....

just wondered what your definition is?
Old 12-27-2003, 12:03 PM   #12
stgeorge

Answer: One longshot is good if it's the only horse you played all year and you walked away a winner.

On the other hand, 200 longshots is bad if you played every race offered at your local simulcast facility and walked away decimated by year's end.

It's all relative.
stgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
Fastracehorse

Big Hit.

<Glad for you hope next year is even better.I would sure be interested in how you sort out your contender's.

I started the new year yesterday - I'm at #1.

Contenders: Trainer intent, adjusted speed figures, and, projected trip.

Good Luck to you too.

fffastt
Old 12-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #14
Fastracehorse

<Hell, why didnt I tell every one in the joint, maybe I could have made it the favorite!!!

You learned your lesson.

I knew a guy who told a high roller about a horse - the high roller got the p-3 100 times - my friend got it 3 times. He learned his lesson the hard way.

fffastt
Old 12-27-2003, 12:57 PM   #15
Fastracehorse

Just Ralph.

<just wondered what your definition is?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Personally, 6-1 isn't really a longggggggggg shot. It's a decent win mutuel.

I like a$30 horse.

It's just that there are so many players that bang chalk, and can't stop themselves, and actually think 7:2 is a longshot.

I mean those types of horses are useful, but I only get excited when I think a bomb has a chance.

fffastt