Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
toetoe
Veteran

Why can't racing and radio work?

Listening to J.J. Graci and his child bride this evening and had to turn it off. It was like having burning bamboo stuck under my fingernails. Nothing wrong with him that a few more highballs won't cure, but she's un-frigging-bearable. Joanne Jones squared, or cubed, even. She decides to read the entries for the (yawn) Sunshine Millions. Okay, fine. She has to have some busy work, and they won't even talk about the races. Just read the damn entries. She proceeds to butcher almost every name in the book, names of people she's even heard of. John Vallis-quez, accent on first syl. "Rafael Bakerra? I can't read that." Bejarano, Baze, why, she can butcher them all! They all talk at once, don't say much. J.J. was leading trainer at Atlantic City. OOH! AH! I love radio and I love racing. What's a handicapping degenerate to do?

p.s. Oh yeah. She said the $100,000,000 Sunshine Millions Classic. Couldn't confuse me more if she tried. I THINK it's one million, 100 thou sounds too low; but I'm not sure. I can find out, but they should listen to their shows as part of the job. Hell, I reread my posts, cringe as I might.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
stgeorge

I have listened to that program on six or seven different occasions. When I read your description I was reminded of the night I was listening and they were reading a trivia quiz on the air. It was ten questions and they were all multiple choice. First they read it to each other, and then they read it to all of their guests! Each time they started from Question Number One and worked down to Question Number Ten. Usually the guest needed to hear the question and the possible answers twice. It was excruciating radio. However I have listened to the show on other occasions and I have found it entertaining from time to time.
stgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
toetoe
Veteran

Thank you. EXCRUCIATING! By JJ, I think you've got it. Their site was down for a couple of days, and I was thinking, HEY, WHAT GIVES?, now I'm considering the possibilities. Let's see, up and running once per week, down six days/week, I can listen with my finger poised at the kill button, praying to once again hear the entries for the HUNDREDMILLIONDOLLARSUNSHINEMILLIONSCLASSIC! YYYYESSSSS!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
toetoe
Veteran

Radio Days

The following is a fictional, paid advertisement.
Farmer John: "Hey, J.J., what's every horseman's dream?"
J.J.: "Y'mean, besides marrying a gal half his age who can make a decent martini?"
FJ: "Uh, yeah, that's it. Besides that."
J.J.: "It'd have to be having his own radio show, for which he and his wife were absolutely unsuited."
FJ: "Well, I have just the man to help fulfill that dream."
J.J.: "What's his name? ... No, no. Let Sam tell me. Sam, honey, come read the man's name."
Sam: "Horst Tupper, Toupee, .. I can't read that."
FJ: "It's Horst Petutti. Call him today and enter the exciting world of radio. Dial 1-800-HorsHit."
Now back to our program, "Around The Bend."
J.J.: "We're almost out of time ---- "
Sam: "J.J., I just want to say, a friend and I were looking through the phone book, and we noticed the "J" section was so THICK."
J.J.: "Sam, not much time."
Sam: "Real quick, I'll start with this name ... Yohan, Jones, ... I can't read that."
J.J.: "It's Johnson, honey."
Ace (handicapper for hire): "I bet on Johnson in the '64 election. Got 1 to 5, before the big money came in."
Sam: "Join us tomorrow when our guest will be Charles Morgan, .. Mackerel,.. I can't read that."
J.J.: " It's Chris McCarron, honey."
Sam: "See you tomorrow on 'Up In Bend',.. 'Abounding Bed' ... I can't read that."
Old 12-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Figman

Nothing tops this show with "handicapper" Ross Tabbert!

Listen to Mr. Tabbert's revolutionary selection methods on the archived Dec.8th program.
http://www.attheracesandbeyond.com/schedule.html
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
blind squirrel

i got SIRIUS radio because they had a horse racing show.
after listening to JJ and SAM 9 or ten times{i gave them a
shot,everybody has a bad day,right}.....this might not
only be the worst horse racing show ever,this might be the
worst show of any kind in the history of broadcasting.

i will say DAVE JOHNSON and BILL FINLEY have a show
on SATURDAY morning 10-12 that is really pretty good.

it's a shame,wouldn't it be great to have a "good" racing
show on every day for three hours.
blind squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #7
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Oh Gawd! I put the interview on. 10 minutes and they're still hashing and rehashing and ranting the same points about Stewart Elliott and the potenial deportation (yes, they need to clean this silly stuff up). Now 12 minutes and no end in sight! The only thing they're missing is the drinks and barstools! Gads, we get the point after 1 minute.

They may be on Sirius, he sounds serious, but oh my, they can't be serious.

Oh Thanks God for the commerical break after 14 minutes!

Yes, we can all agree within 1 minute, but there's 13 more minutes to fill.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 12-09-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Indulto
Veteran

Toetoe,
I loved it. Any more like "Radio Days" in the archives?
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

In California I used to listen to Curt Hoover and Mike Wellman..........pretty good stuff. But mostly Ca related.

You guys are making me want Sirius just so I can find out how bad these guys are.........
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

The link in the earlier posts goes to a website that lets you listen archived shows. You can listen on the computer (I don't have Sirius - heck, I rarely listen to the radio or music anymore.)

I got burned out before listening to any of their guest segments. Maybe I'll find the desire to continue later.

But I now know what the first segment of the 12/8 show reminded me of. It reminded me of a guy and his wife/girlfriend talking on the phone, having a run-on converstion, agreeing on everything (this one was an easily agreeable subject), and not knowing when to hang up (that's where the commercial break came in handy).

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 12-09-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Bring back Roger Stein.

Z
Old 12-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #12
Figman

You can't miss the Ross Tabbert segment!
It's the most outrageous segment I have ever heard on picking winners!
And the girl on the program, SAMM, bites "hook, line and sinker."
Tabbert claims he sold 100 of his books in 1992 outside the gates of Aqueduct Racetrack.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figman
You can't miss the Ross Tabbert segment!
It's the most outrageous segment I have ever heard on picking winners!
And the girl on the program, SAMM, bites "hook, line and sinker."
Tabbert claims he sold 100 of his books in 1992 outside the gates of Aqueduct Racetrack.
Then back in I must go!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #14
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

OH MY GOD! THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! (Ok, kind of sad too, because this guy needs to call 1-800-GAMBLER. JJ knows this guy is way out there, yet tells it like he believe he could be way out right, just to get the guy on the air and get the phones to ring.

But this guy got fooled into believing the crap the old man in the wheelchair used to tell him, and honestly believes he has found "Underground Mafia Codes" that dictate what horses are supposed to be allowed to win or do well. And he's admant about it! Really believes it!

Can't believe JJ starts off the interview by telling us the guy has some education, "so he's not a dummy!"

You're right, Samm is faithfully looking for names, at tracks she already knows have cancelled, so even if the one she thinks she finds matches one of his 'codes', it still won't run for anyone to even know if it worked!

And he says he's so serious about it working, and he has so many advanced codes. But then when the caller asks him if he's made a lot of money betting them, he says that, the game is made for people to lose their money, and even with his 'advanced codes' he still can't beat the races!!!

Gee, he sold (100, 200) copies of his book outside of Del Mar in 1992. But he doesn't sell it anymore. Yeah, I wonder why!

OK, hope I didn't spoil it for anyone, but you've GOT to hear this. Too sadly funny!

The interview starts at around the 30 minute mark in the link. The first 14 minutes are the news segment that made me want that time back.

On the air, JJ's offered him to be on again and pick out horses. Wants him back because the phones are lighting up like crazy. (Kind of approppo, eh?) The guy, at least this time, wants to come back on an prove it works! So Look Out! He might be back!

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 12-09-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #15
shoelessjoe

JJ used to do the handicapping show at CT and trained horses as well mostly at Philly and NJ.He was terrible there as well.BRING BACK DAVIDOWITZ.Shoeless
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply