Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-12-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Overlay

Jimmy Carter Has Cancer

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/for...cer/ar-BBlGLk4

During recent elective surgery to remove a small mass in his liver, former President Carter (now age 90) was found to have liver cancer that has spread to other unspecified parts of his body. He will be undergoing treatment at Emory Healthcare in Atlanta. (The article at the link indicates that the prognosis is excellent for a full recovery, but it wasn't clear whether the reference was to recovery from the surgery, or recovery from the cancer.)
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
tucker6

I think they mean from the surgery. He has either advanced stage 3 or stage 4 cancer. 5 year survival rates from liver cancer that has spread to other parts of the body is 2%. For a 90 year old man, his odds are likely less than that.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/liverca...survival-rates

Good luck to him regardless. I know the ordeal all too well.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I'm sorry if this offends any decent Americans...but I lost any respect I had for Carter when he lost all respect for America several years ago.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
He has either advanced stage 3 or stage 4 cancer.
Surprising considering that as a former President he would have access to the best health care on the planet.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Surprising considering that as a former President he would have access to the best health care on the planet.
Not really Dave. Cancer is often not as slow as many think. My wife hosted a dinner party one night in 'perfect health' with no symptoms and the next morning was fighting for her life. Died ten weeks later. The fact that Carter has late stage cancer does not surprise me whatsoever. It is quite common that no symptoms of cancer show up until stage 4. A sad fact.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
I'm sorry if this offends any decent Americans...but I lost any respect I had for Carter when he lost all respect for America several years ago.
I am solidly republican, but appreciate Carter's humanity. He also teaches personal responsibility and taking care of one's neighbors rather than have the govt take over those roles. But this thread is not about politics.

Last edited by tucker6; 08-12-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
ronsmac

Quote:
" I'm sorry if this offends any decent Americans. " That has to be the apology of the year. Lol
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Not really Dave. Cancer is often not as slow as many think. My wife hosted a dinner party one night in 'perfect health' with no symptoms and the next morning was fighting for her life. Died ten weeks later. The fact that Carter has late stage cancer does not surprise me whatsoever. It is quite common that no symptoms of cancer show up until stage 4. A sad fact.
Tucker, I am sincerely sorry for your loss man......My deepest condolences.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #9
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Tucker, I am sincerely sorry for your loss man......My deepest condolences.
Thanks for your kind words. As Thaskalos can attest, it is an expertise we did not desire to learn but the experience is indelibly imprinted on us. The main lesson I learned is that not all cancers plod along at a nice easy pace with symptoms galore. Some are silent, swift, and relentless.

Should add that I am getting married again in October, so life goes on but the great memories remain.

Last edited by tucker6; 08-12-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
" I'm sorry if this offends any decent Americans. " That has to be the apology of the year. Lol

By "decent" Americans, I mean those that care about America---those that don't..I really don't give a sh*t if I offend or not
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words. As Thaskalos can attest, it is an expertise we did not desire to learn but the experience is indelibly imprinted on us. The main lesson I learned is that not all cancers plod along at a nice easy pace with symptoms galore. Some are silent, swift, and relentless.
My wife thought that she was a healthy 33 year-old on Tuesday...and she was fighting for her life after given a six-month-to-live diagnosis two days later. And this after regularly visiting her two doctors for years...and fighting endlessly with me because I refused to see a doctor unless I was bed-ridden with illness.

Cancer has really become a silent killer.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #12
TJDave

Quote:
By "decent" Americans, I mean those that care about America---those that don't..I really don't give a sh*t if I offend or not
We get it. A perfect example of why you should have quit while you were behind.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #13
speculus
Zapoorzaa!!!

This is a touchy topic for me as I have lost both my parents to cancer.

But in the hope that what I write below may help some in the future, I share my thoughts (theories?) here:
  1. A day will come when modern medical science will have to admit that cancer is a purely psychosomatic disease--it's genesis lies in the "mind", and only its manifestation takes place in the body.
  2. If honest, the modern medical science will also have to admit it does not have, until this writing, any effective treatment to cure cancer.
  3. The so-called protocol treatment which includes surgery, chemotherapy and radiation (or combination of all three) is absolutely bogus (yes, that's the right word), and in most cases, cause tremendous pain to the patient and anguish to his/her family members.
  4. There is a strong reason to suspect that what the medical industry claims as "the cases they cured" were NOT the cancer cases to begin with, but just "plain misdiagnosis" when benign tumors were diagnosed as malignant, treated, and pronounced as "cured" (a shocking number of medical professionals haven't even heard about Bayes theorem, and its implications in cancer diagnosis, and have never ever heard about the error called "base rate neglect" when they rule a case as "malignant", and needlessly start the treatment).
And what I am going to write now may shock you, but besides stating a fact that I have formed these beliefs after collecting facts from 100s of cases, interacting with doctors, patients and their relatives, and some very experienced medical professionals who spent their lives in trying to treat cancer, I will refrain from defending these opinions or debating about them--for strictly personal reasons.
  1. The manifestation of cancer in the body is caused, many times, by a very strong emotion of a negative nature: An angry outburst, a severe sense of guilt, a loss of job or spouse, loss of face in society, stress of hiding something that will bring disrepute, a fear of social stigma for some past action, or uncontrollable envy/jealousy that has, over time, has become an integral part of nature or behavior.
  2. A tumor is actually your body's way of protecting you from actual or potential cancer.
  3. Biopsy, or any invasive technique that cuts or pricks the tumor to run the cancer test, is the most idiotic thing to do because, like that tale about the monster locked inside a bottle, it opens the door for the disease to spread to other parts of the body. I am calling it idiotic because doing this when the medical science has NO cure for cancer cannot be described by any other word.
  4. The best course of action, if you find tumor anywhere in body, is to start the activity that can oxygenate cells of the body at the deepest level, and also help relax the mind, like exercise, deep breathing (pranayama), yoga, meditation, ozone therapy, etc.
  5. Especially two particular forms of pranayama (starting at 9:35 in this video if you don't wish to watch the entire hour-long session) known as Kapalbhati & Anulom Vilom, if both forms are practiced for 45 minutes each, every day, your chance of surviving from real or potential cancer will go up substantially. [This video is dubbed in english].
Hope this helps to whosoever is looking for alternative treatment for confirmed or suspected malignancy.

Speculus

www.DynamicHandicapping.com/
speculus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I am with you:

From Wikipedia:

The 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan spurred Jimmy Carter to issue an ultimatum on January 20, 1980 that the United States would boycott the Moscow Olympics if Soviet troops did not withdraw from Afghanistan within one month.

That is when I lost all respect for him and consider him the worst president
in my lifetime. To me he is a gutless coward, whether he is healthy, sick or dead. He has lived to be a 90 year old male, that is rare, no one should shed any tears for him. What about all the athletes from the USA that lost their lifetime Olympic dream they sacrificed everything for? The nation with
the strongest military in the world threatening a sporting event boycott over a military invasion? That is about as ridiculously weak as it gets, he embarrassed the whole country.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #15
Marshall Bennett

I was certainly no fan of Jimmy Carter, no more so than I was of Ted Kennedy. The pain most often lies with family members and not the subject about to die.
So the way I see it, if you have nothing good to say about them, just say nothing at all.
Why wait till they're almost dead to shit on them? Seems sort of classless.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply