Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #1
classhandicapper

Too much of a good thing

I love high quality racing, but the number of Graded Stakes around the country today, Saturday, and Sunday is even a bit much for me. I'm not going to have time to handicap all of them, let alone bet all of them. These super cards can be fun at times, but multiple tracks having multiple major race cards at the same time can be a bit much. I'd rather see some of these races run on weekdays and give me something to do on an otherwise uninteresting day. I think we are taking super cards too far right now.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I love high quality racing, but the number of Graded Stakes around the country today, Saturday, and Sunday is even a bit much for me. I'm not going to have time to handicap all of them, let alone bet all of them. These super cards can be fun at times, but multiple tracks having multiple major race cards at the same time can be a bit much. I'd rather see some of these races run on weekdays and give me something to do on an otherwise uninteresting day. I think we are taking super cards too far right now.
I'm sure it is a business decision. Running Graded Stakes on a Saturday brings way more handle than doing so on a Thursday or Friday I would guess.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 12:05 PM   #3
VeryOldMan

My sarcasm detector is out for repair - are we being serious here?

With the Breeders Cup arriving in 4 weeks, this is possibly the last feasible weekend for prep races. Isn't it that simple?
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

I must be an outlier, racing quality never mattered much to me, what mattered if my methods gave me an edge, and I could get a decent price on who I liked. I used to love the Pomona Fair in Southern California before OTBs. They carded these starter allowance races for cheap claimers at 1-9/16 miles. By the time they hit the top of the stretch I could damn near out run them to the wire. I seemed to have a knack for picking who would stagger home on top.

So I take you don't like the races where the horses are so bad they put down a ZERO for their Beyer fig instead of a negative number?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 01:06 PM   #5
PalaceOfFortLarned

More fired up that Keeneland is back!

Should be some nice prices today and this weekend.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 01:12 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
More fired up that Keeneland is back!

Should be some nice prices today and this weekend.

Isn't Keeneland an artificial track?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:36 PM   #7
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

No, it's real. I've been there; may have some pictures to prove it.

rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
No, it's real. I've been there; may have some pictures to prove it.

Could it have been artificial a while back?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:42 PM   #9
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Could it have been artificial a while back?
It was from like 2006 to 2014 I believe.

They went back to dirt in 2014 so they could host the Breeder's Cup in 2015.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
It was from like 2006 to 2014 I believe.

They went back to dirt in 2014 so they could host the Breeder's Cup in 2015.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-2023, 10:36 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm sure it is a business decision. Running Graded Stakes on a Saturday brings way more handle than doing so on a Thursday or Friday I would guess.

All I know is they are getting less handle from me. I don't have the time to handicap over 30 Graded stakes and look at miscellaneous other races I might be interested in on those same cards. IMO, a race card really only needs 2, maybe 3 important stakes on it to generate interest in the entire card. If you run 2 or 6 I'm playing your card, but if you run 6 instead of say 3-3 or 2-2-2, there are cards of yours I'm going to skip that I might have played. When it's multiple tracks doing the same thing on the same days, there are a bunch of races no one is even going to look at, let alone bet the entire card.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:44 AM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post

With the Breeders Cup arriving in 4 weeks, this is possibly the last feasible weekend for prep races. Isn't it that simple?
The current spacing of races and timing to the Breeder's are a big reason for it this weekend, but imo it's creating an UNWELCOMED side effect is that there are a bunch of very good races being run that a lot of people are not even going to look at because it's "too much of a good thing". What we have now is super cards and shit cards. I'd way rather have a lot more very good cards.
Old 10-07-2023, 11:34 AM   #13
Horsery

I see your point. It's like "Water, water, everywhere but not a drop to drink. " Like it's SO many "good things," at once you don't know where to start.
Horsery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #14
Spalding No!

Quote:
The current spacing of races and timing to the Breeder's are a big reason for it this weekend, but imo it's creating an UNWELCOMED side effect is that there are a bunch of very good races being run that a lot of people are not even going to look at because it's "too much of a good thing". What we have now is super cards and shit cards. I'd way rather have a lot more very good cards.
Gone are the days when Leo O'Brien could run Fourstars Allstars in the Laurel Dash & come back the following week to run in the Budweiser International.

Gone are the days when D Wayne Lukas could run Althea in the Del Mar Debutante or Hollywood Starlet & come back a week later to run against males in the Del Mar Futurity or Hollywood Futurity.

Because those races are now all run on the same day or weekend.

Plus there's no more Hollywood Park & Budweiser doesn't sponsor any races anymore.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2023, 10:11 PM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
I respect your opinion and process.

This stuff doesn't happen to enter into the way I play. Most of my stuff is opinion-based from previous races, and then these opinions have to be entered as a highly significant thing in today's races (eg a false fav, a darkened price, or maybe multiple opinions on horses within the same field, etc...).

From those occasional good ones (and there are times where there is 1 or 0 plays in a day), I'll at least look/glance at branching sequences (and handicapping those additional races).

After that I start to look for any other races with mostly field size, and then after that, if a Big/interesting stake only has like 8 horses, I'll still handicap it if interested.

I still put in the work to do the fundamentals on all of the significant meet races and some of the lesser tracks in certain race types. That's how those opinions happen.

but I can somebody reading my shit and being turned off or confused or disagreeing. It's a good thing that we all have different processes and there is room to speak up and share processes and opinions.