Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-28-2023, 11:12 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

quick way to lose a head coaching job

Arizona head coach Jonathan Gannon cut solid veteran QB Colt McCoy (nothing flashy but a proven solid and reliable performer) leaving UNTRIED players: newly acquired Josh Dobbs or rookie Clayton Tune, to start Week 1.

Murray, their injured starter, in beginning the season on the Physically Unable to Perform List, and is required to remain there for 4 weeks minimum.

How ridiculously risky can you get? Good way to be 0-4 before Murray is able to return.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:53 PM   #2
Tor Ekman

He’s following orders to tank the season in order to get Caleb Williams with 1st pick in draft and I believe they also hold Houston’s 1st round pick
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2023, 10:36 AM   #3
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
He’s following orders to tank the season in order to get Caleb Williams with 1st pick in draft and I believe they also hold Houston’s 1st round pick
Yep, you are right

If Arizona ends up being the worst team this year (which wouldn't surprise me) and Houston becomes the 2nd worst team, they will pick back-to-back since Arizona has Houston's 1st round pick.

Pick Caleb Williams then pick up Marvin Harrison Jr. WR for Ohio State. Case closed.

Last edited by CheckMark; 08-29-2023 at 10:38 AM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2023, 02:25 AM   #4
ElKabong

Murray is a coach killer. Never has been one to look at more than minimum amount of film. Selfish

Does Caleb Williams act work in the NFL? I'm not sure.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Murray is a coach killer. Never has been one to look at more than minimum amount of film. Selfish

Originally it was part of his contract that he had to promise looking at more film...He balked and they collapsed on that point
Old 09-06-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Does Caleb Williams act work in the NFL? I'm not sure.

How many QBs from USC didn't amount to squat in the NFL after a stellar college career? They always seem to recruit good offensive lineman and skill players, making the QB look way better than they are. Carson Palmer is the only top level QB to come from USC. I suck as a scout but my low opinion of USC QBs is the only thing I am constantly right about.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2023, 04:06 PM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
How many QBs from USC didn't amount to squat in the NFL after a stellar college career? They always seem to recruit good offensive lineman and skill players, making the QB look way better than they are. Carson Palmer is the only top level QB to come from USC. I suck as a scout but my low opinion of USC QBs is the only thing I am constantly right about.
How many programs have produced more QBs that have done anything better in the way of production? Can't think of many

Can't include Ou, hurts was developed at Alabama. Murray and Mayfield were transfers like Hurts, but they logged minimal time before their xfer to ou. So, Lincoln riley can take credit for Murray and Mayfield but both have been major disappointments

That's a major concern if you're a scout looking at Williams. Is the system and being surrounded by superior talent making him look better than he really is. Painted fingernails and all
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 09-16-2023, 08:33 AM   #8
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
How many programs have produced more QBs that have done anything better in the way of production? Can't think of many

Can't include Ou, hurts was developed at Alabama. Murray and Mayfield were transfers like Hurts, but they logged minimal time before their xfer to ou. So, Lincoln riley can take credit for Murray and Mayfield but both have been major disappointments

That's a major concern if you're a scout looking at Williams. Is the system and being surrounded by superior talent making him look better than he really is. Painted fingernails and all
Excellent points on the USC/OU QBs. They have pumped out a ton of QBs with incredible college numbers, but hardly any turn out very well in the NFL.

Does Caleb Williams fall into this category as well?

I think his biggest problem is his size (listed as 6'1"), and that he really isn't all that athletic compared to the elite QBs in the NFL.

The new age QB in the NFL has extreme arm talent, and is also very mobile. You look at the young QBs like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Hurts, Lawrence, and Jackson and they all can run or at least make a lot of people miss while in the pocket. Could be wrong, but don't see Williams being as mobile as these guys.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Excellent points on the USC/OU QBs. They have pumped out a ton of QBs with incredible college numbers, but hardly any turn out very well in the NFL.

Does Caleb Williams fall into this category as well?

I think his biggest problem is his size (listed as 6'1"), and that he really isn't all that athletic compared to the elite QBs in the NFL.

The new age QB in the NFL has extreme arm talent, and is also very mobile. You look at the young QBs like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Hurts, Lawrence, and Jackson and they all can run or at least make a lot of people miss while in the pocket. Could be wrong, but don't see Williams being as mobile as these guys.

Strange that the broadcast TV here has been void of USC games the last couple years. Since it could be I may have made some internet improvements
I will look for videos on him. My only scouting skill is predicting NFL QB failures. I had Colin Kapernick as a one hit wonder when everyone else thought he and RG3 were the next generation of great NFL QBs due to their playing style. With RG3 I figured injury was going get him and they did. He was never the same after tearing up a knee. With RG3 I never saw anything like him the way he almost appeared to be trying to get hurt the way he would contort himself right before contact. I also blame Shanny for not pulling him in the play-off game against Seattle when he was already slowed by a knee injury sustained earlier in the game.

On college QBs I look at pocket presence and how many reads they typically get through. Red flag to the guy whose success is based off locking on to a target he knows will beat the defender badly. Hello Matt Leinart, I think he holds the record for throwing to guys in single coverage with 3 yards on the defender. USC has produced top notch offensive lineman as long as I can remember. Any QB looks good when he has 4-5 seconds to throw and whose uniform stays as clean as the place kicker.
Old 09-16-2023, 11:13 AM   #10
Bustin Stones

Until someone can explain why the likes of Brock Purdy should have become a successful NFL QB or why John Unitas became a HOF QB after being cut by the Steelers, I'm going to call BS on people who claim to understand the makings of a successful QB. Did anyone believe that Tom Brady would outshine other QBs coming out of college (he was the 199th pick in the draft)? Based on exactly what? I suspect most of what determines this is based on a certain type of intelligence and dedication. And good luck measuring that. The best evaluator I can remember was Paul Brown who first practiced giving prospective players some kind of IQ test when no one else was doing it. I'm not sure how effective it was, but he ended up selecting Otto Graham.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #11
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
Until someone can explain why the likes of Brock Purdy should have become a successful NFL QB or why John Unitas became a HOF QB after being cut by the Steelers, I'm going to call BS on people who claim to understand the makings of a successful QB. Did anyone believe that Tom Brady would outshine other QBs coming out of college (he was the 199th pick in the draft)? Based on exactly what? I suspect most of what determines this is based on a certain type of intelligence and dedication. And good luck measuring that. The best evaluator I can remember was Paul Brown who first practiced giving prospective players some kind of IQ test when no one else was doing it. I'm not sure how effective it was, but he ended up selecting Otto Graham.
Brady was a tough one. Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick as well.

As for Brady, if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt, do we ever know how good Tom Brady was? Say he rides pine for 5 to 6 years behind Bledsoe. Would any other team pick him up via trade, or does he simply fade into obscurity forever?
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2023, 03:03 PM   #12
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Was that directed at me? I only claimed to spot bad QBs, not good ones, big difference.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:34 AM   #13
ElKabong

Quote:
If you followed b12 football you knew Purdy had a chance given the right situation. He was a heckuva qb that made his offenses better than they were

Jmo. It all depends where these guys go. If Dak Prescott goes to new England or green Bay you'd never hear of him. He's not a play maker. With dallas his rookie year he had the best OL and zeke Elliott. Hard to screw that up & even them couldn't get them very far

I follow b12 mostly, there has been talent at qb there but these guys have to cross their fingers and hope they get in the right situation.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:43 AM   #14
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Brady was a tough one. Joe Montana was a 3rd round pick as well.

As for Brady, if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt, do we ever know how good Tom Brady was? Say he rides pine for 5 to 6 years behind Bledsoe. Would any other team pick him up via trade, or does he simply fade into obscurity forever?
Montana was money at notre dame. I disliked ND (whew their fans that came to the cotton bowl in 69,70 were trashy) but his performance in the 78 cotton vs Cougar High was legendary. The whole region was a sheet of ice, he had to drink hot soup in the locker room to get back on the field in the 2nd half. Hard to describe now but his resolve and toughness was at a very high level. Add his football IQ and having Bill walsh coach him along... special qb
Old 09-17-2023, 12:55 PM   #15
Inner Dirt

I will be curious to see how Purdy does once a little more game film is compiled on him. On some sports talk station that came in while running errands the talking heads were discussing how many of the 32 NFL starting QBs were good enough to win a Super Bowl. They both came up with 12 and left Purdy off. One of them left Matthew Stafford off the list, I wonder if that idiot remembers Stafford won a Super Bowl 2 seasons ago? No idea who the dumb ass was who said that, a lot of stations here have very weak signals
and will come in one day and not the next, even in the same area, time of day and weather conditions.