Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-02-2023, 02:42 PM   #256
ScottJ

Strongly urge everyone to read the Steward's Decision page on the NYRA web site covering this race in question.

https://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/racing...ns/oct-01-2023

Remarkable to me is the assertion that Beguine (#4) was NOT cost a position by either Caramel Swirl (#1) or Sterling Silver (#2).

My view of the replay suggested that Beguine was "coming again" at the end of the race. In my arm chair analysis "live" yesterday, I had Headland (#6) fouling Caramel Swirl and Sterling Silver fouling Beguine. I was sure that the final result would be posted as 1-6-4-2 (with the odd outcome that the double DQ would leave Headland in the place position).

One of the statistics that I do not keep (which one should have available) is an accounting of the jockeys involved in inquiries/objections together with their individual outcomes, both for and against. My sense is that Dylan Davis seems to get taken down and have his foul claims rejected more than any other jockey on the circuit.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #257
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

When did they start back that up again? They gave up on bothering to write up their decisions for a long time.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 02:57 PM   #258
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
My sense is that Dylan Davis seems to get taken down and have his foul claims rejected more than any other jockey on the circuit.
Dylan is an honest and talented jock who is not a part of the nonsense....I wish there were more of his type in the colony.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #259
SBD400

Why is the head-on view of this race not available on NYRA's replay nor on Twin Spires? Every other race shows the head-on view. Can't be a coincidence that a controversial, complicated inquiry that took 20 minutes to adjudicate has that replay missing. If they purposely are not making it available so people can't see for themselves, that is worse than a fiasco and they are earning the title of this thread in this instance.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 03:56 PM   #260
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Dylan is an honest and talented jock who is not a part of the nonsense....I wish there were more of his type in the colony.
While it's obvious what you are really saying, what nonsense is he not part of?

Before answering, you should know that in the race in question, he rated the lone speed, despite the trainer's instructions.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #261
VeryOldMan

The NYRA race replay doesn't give a direct drop-down of the head-on for the 5th for some reason, but if you go to 2:22 of the available video it shows a replay of the key head-on shots, including the stretch drive. The head-on stretch view looked like the 6 horse on the inside was drifting out slightly and the 2 horse on the outside was coming in harder, creating a sandwich effect. I had no dog in this DQ fight.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 04:09 PM   #262
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
While it's obvious what you are really saying, what nonsense is he not part of?

Before answering, you should know that in the race in question, he rated the lone speed, despite the trainer's instructions.
You can state the obvious in your way, I'll do it in mine...Different prisms of the same truth.

You have to be more careful than I do....
Old 10-02-2023, 04:16 PM   #263
paulbenny

The stewards are similar to a judge and legal function processing a case. They are hired to be objective based upon their role. I can question them similar to the umpire in baseball, or an NFL referee, but on balance I have no complaints. It is a very difficult job.

The praise of jockey Davis is nice. The criticism of jockeys without names leaves a huge gap here. I think it would be nice to be specific. A few years ago I used information on some trainers on Equibase, asked people in racing positions their view on these trainers, and took a position that several appeared corrupt and was obliterated for actually spelling out names.

Only one is in prison right now and to this day no one else has been imprisoned. It is risky to criticize without absolute proof, however, there is a gut judgement we all have to make and watching races all over the country, in Europe, Canada, and being a fan for a long time, I thought it was reasonable to bring it up as a point of view. There is nothing good or bad about that. An actual name or names would help on the jockey point of view.

Certainly Larry Saumell who died a dozen years ago actually was caught with a battery as I recall. That is solid proof of a problem.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 05:41 PM   #264
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
The praise of jockey Davis is nice. The criticism of jockeys without names leaves a huge gap here. I think it would be nice to be specific.

An actual name or names would help on the jockey point of view.
Something feels "off" when reading your post....Are you a bot?
Old 10-02-2023, 07:18 PM   #265
alhattab

Quote:
Something feels "off" when reading your post....Are you a bot?
I mentioned save a month or so ago I think in a different thread!
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2023, 07:20 PM   #266
the little guy

Quote:
You can state the obvious in your way, I'll do it in mine...Different prisms of the same truth.

You have to be more careful than I do....
That's not an answer to my question.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2023, 11:20 PM   #267
Sheffwed

oh well

here I was thinking we would make it through the day without a fiasco, but nope

somebody's good friend gets fined 100k after tying for the Saratoga title

nice

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...-fine-to-100k/
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2023, 09:30 AM   #268
paulbenny

Linda Rice a successful female trainer may have an edge charming people as a woman based upon a common-sense review of relationships between people such as men and women. The racing office may have succumbed to that charm. The analogy that could be draw is not precisely the same as trading on inside information in the financial markets, but it is the only recent circumstance that remotely approaches that type of situation when you think of horse racing. There was also a recent violation for Rice for a more traditional violation of racing statues and protocols but this seems to be an outlier for trainer Rice who has not had many traditional violations.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #269
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
Linda Rice a successful female trainer may have an edge charming people as a woman based upon a common-sense review of relationships between people such as men and women.
so she's successful because she's allegedly a good flirt?
Old 10-04-2023, 09:42 AM   #270
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
so she's successful because she's allegedly a good flirt?
Yep - he's got it all figured out. She gave 'em a wink and they caved in.