Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-18-2023, 07:40 AM   #16
Inner Dirt

My internet has improved but the viewer I watched 18 minutes of Caleb Williams highlights on was not adjustable so the resolution was probably set to my speed. I think it was 720p.

The good, accuracy, even when his receivers were wide open, most of the time he hit them in stride, and I saw some nice throws in fairly tight windows.

Escapability, he seems to have a good pocket presence, moves well in tight spaces, has decent acceleration and top end speed. He has good arm strength, but I always felt that was over rated. Remember the old school QB competitions at the Pro Bowl? Joe Montana and Steve Young did not have strong arms. Jeff George could probably crack someone's sternum at 50 yards.

The bad, read progression and field vision. I rarely saw him survey more than half the field, quite often he locked on a receiver. Like a lot of right handed QBs that aren't the complete package he rarely moves to his left escaping the rush. The favorite move is rolling right and throwing down the right sideline.

Of course you can only learn so much from a highlight film and I don't think broadcast TV here has shown a USC game in years. I did not see a lot of 4-5 seconds to throw, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it was a highlight film.

I cannot believe everybody and their brother has him as the #1 overall pick. My prediction, early NFL success, then as d-coordinators pick at his flaws he becomes a bottom third starter at best or a back up.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #17
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
Arizona head coach Jonathan Gannon cut solid veteran QB Colt McCoy (nothing flashy but a proven solid and reliable performer) leaving UNTRIED players: newly acquired Josh Dobbs or rookie Clayton Tune, to start Week 1.

Murray, their injured starter, in beginning the season on the Physically Unable to Perform List, and is required to remain there for 4 weeks minimum.

How ridiculously risky can you get? Good way to be 0-4 before Murray is able to return.
McCoy's record as a starter is 11-25 and he has only two more career TD passes than INTs
Old 09-18-2023, 09:31 AM   #18
Inner Dirt

The only thing solid about Colt McCoy could be the dumps he takes. I saw all his Washington starts, utterly dreadful. One of the weakest arms I have ever seen. He would need to be on the opposing teams 40 to throw a Hail Mary in the end zone.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:37 PM   #19
Tor Ekman

Watched Caleb Williams today, don't see what all the hype is about. Sure, he makes all the throws when his receivers are wide open, but when he has to put it on them in coverage, he's not that accurate and he missed on quite a few today. Not saying Deion's kid is the real deal either, but between the two of them, Deion's kid made the more impressive throws into coverage today.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2023, 05:14 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Watched Caleb Williams today, don't see what all the hype is about. Sure, he makes all the throws when his receivers are wide open, but when he has to put it on them in coverage, he's not that accurate and he missed on quite a few today. Not saying Deion's kid is the real deal either, but between the two of them, Deion's kid made the more impressive throws into coverage today.

Once again no USC on free TV here. He looked accurate to me, but that was watching a highlight film. If I saw flaws in his highlight film, what does that tell you?
Old 09-30-2023, 05:19 PM   #21
burnsy
self medicated

First off . Arizona is no where near the worst team . I laughed when the talking chumps on TV suggested that . The same ones that predicted the Bears would be ok this year. They suck, the Broncos suck , Carolina is weak .

The thing that can’t be determined until a guy gets out there is handling the pressure and making quick decisions in real game time . The NFL moves faster than any football game these guys will ever play . You can have all the talent in the world and we see these “touted “ guys crumble under the pressure of the game . Some, once they’re beaten down enough , they’re never the same . Like a fighter that gets beat one too many times . The psyche is crushed beyond repair .
In the other hand a guy with a fairly accurate arm and sense of where to step and who to get the ball to goes a long, long way . Stay calm , step around a little when needed without the happy feet and distribute the ball to your guys. Then let them do the work . Your brain and how you react to pressure goes a long , long way in that game . Your intelligence and cool demeanor are actually a weapon . Watch the good ones operate . Like Purdy . Nothing rattled these people , they get upset for a moment and forget about it . On to the next play . Even if the last one was a pick or fumble . And they take what the other team is giving . If the other defense is good they’ll settle for the dink and dunk . One of their guys may break one or they wait for the opening or mistake then gut you long . Tom Brady was the Goat because he didn’t play the hero , he basically picked you apart where he saw he could . The hero because he didn’t try to be the hero….. just flat out think you.

And Stafford is under rated . They don’t hardly talk about him . That guy will gash you for 40 yards about more than anyone . And he can play the short game too . That run to the SB he came under pressure to complete drives in almost every game including the run to win the SB . Only a fool wouldn’t include him .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2023, 06:03 PM   #22
Tor Ekman

An interesting contrast is Brock Purdy and Justin Fields . . . while Fields generally had a field day at Ohio State throwing under little pocket pressure to a talented crop of receivers running wide-open, Brock Purdy at Iowa State was learning how to make quick decisions and precision throws into coverage with less than top-tier talent on the receiving end. In retrospect, no surprise that Purdy can play in the NFL and Fields is a bust.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2023, 06:07 PM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
The thing that can’t be determined until a guy gets out there is handling the pressure and making quick decisions in real game time . The NFL moves faster than any football game these guys will ever play . You can have all the talent in the world and we see these “touted “ guys crumble under the pressure of the game . Some, once they’re beaten down enough , they’re never the same . Like a fighter that gets beat one too many times . The psyche is crushed beyond repair .

I had a coworker whose father trained professional fighters and this guy fought himself as an amateur. No reason not to believe his stories, as an amateur he won his first 30 fights and since all amateurs lose, even the ones who became great pros, a 30-0 record is very impressive. In fight 31 he got lit up, lost all 3 rounds by a huge margin. He was not knocked down but said the guy was so fast he was always beaten to the punch, literally. The guy who made him 30-1 went on to a very nice professional career whose name escapes me, as I did not follow the lower weight classes that closely. After that Alex retired from boxing at the ripe old age of 20.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 09-30-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2023, 09:51 PM   #24
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I had a coworker whose father trained professional fighters and this guy fought himself as an amateur. No reason not to believe his stories, as an amateur he won his first 30 fights and since all amateurs lose, even the ones who became great pros, a 30-0 record is very impressive. In fight 31 he got lit up, lost all 3 rounds by a huge margin. He was not knocked down but said the guy was so fast he was always beaten to the punch, literally. The guy who made him 30-1 went on to a very nice professional career whose name escapes me, as I did not follow the lower weight classes that closely. After that Alex retired from boxing at the ripe old age of 20.
That’s how it happens . Some of these young QB suffer the same fate . Gun for an arm . Win everything from Pop Warner to College . Get to the NFL ….. highly rated …… bust . Plus, these days most teams want to start you too early if they’re desperate for a QB . And if you get drafted to a bad team with poor QB coaching . Cheesy offensive line . Oh well . I think there was a 30 for 30 and it was Ryan Leaf . Huge contract at the time . The game was so fast he broke down and sobbed on the sideline . When your out on a life raft by yourself . Against the biggest and strongest . Mentally , that separates the men from the boys . The Manning brothers really couldn’t out run anyone . They admit it . But they could throw that ball and knew this game inside and out . They were trained to never let the moment overwhelm them early because of their dad. Even when it went south . That position is a lot of what’s between you ears and slowing it down to see it unfold before you pull the trigger. With guys trying to knock the snot bubbles out of you .
These guys picked in the higher rounds that end up being great. They may not have the skills from the “Combine” and scouts but they realize what it takes to do well in their minds . Plus, they get the right coaches . That Kyle Shanahan is a master . Look at what that kid works with . I’m guessing he thought Trey Lance couldn’t handle it yet and Purdy does exactly what they want , when told, under pressure. Trey Lance rookie deal ….. over 34 million , 4 yr . Lol. I think Purdy makes 900,000 or so . Miami is an offshoot of the same freaking branch .

Last edited by burnsy; 09-30-2023 at 09:55 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2023, 11:27 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
That’s how it happens . Some of these young QB suffer the same fate . Gun for an arm . Win everything from Pop Warner to College . Get to the NFL ….. highly rated …… bust . Plus, these days most teams want to start you too early if they’re desperate for a QB . And if you get drafted to a bad team with poor QB coaching . Cheesy offensive line . Oh well . I think there was a 30 for 30 and it was Ryan Leaf . Huge contract at the time . The game was so fast he broke down and sobbed on the sideline . When your out on a life raft by yourself . Against the biggest and strongest . Mentally , that separates the men from the boys . The Manning brothers really couldn’t out run anyone . They admit it . But they could throw that ball and knew this game inside and out . They were trained to never let the moment overwhelm them early because of their dad. Even when it went south . That position is a lot of what’s between you ears and slowing it down to see it unfold before you pull the trigger. With guys trying to knock the snot bubbles out of you .
These guys picked in the higher rounds that end up being great. They may not have the skills from the “Combine” and scouts but they realize what it takes to do well in their minds . Plus, they get the right coaches . That Kyle Shanahan is a master . Look at what that kid works with . I’m guessing he thought Trey Lance couldn’t handle it yet and Purdy does exactly what they want , when told, under pressure. Trey Lance rookie deal ….. over 34 million , 4 yr . Lol. I think Purdy makes 900,000 or so . Miami is an offshoot of the same freaking branch .

I knew some people who knew people who knew Ryan Leaf, none them had a good thing to say about him, 24-7 braggart and conceited A-hole. From what I heard about him, I was glad to see him fail.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #26
Bustin Stones

In the NFL, the toughest thing for an inexperienced qb to learn is how to play against pressure. If that qb is quick enough to take the right cookies, the opposing dc's have to back off. Then, the hazing period is over. Each of us would make that same decision because it's the easiest way to beat an inexperienced qb. This is why a qb's greatest asset is his mind.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply