Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #106
bobphilo

France - Belgium today. Should be a corker with 2 best teams in tournament. Winner will probably go on to win final. I give Belgium a slight edge.
Can I be any more chalky?
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #107
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Gotta go Belgium here since I lived there for five years. Loved every minute of it. Too bad these two have to play in the semi.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #108
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
France - Belgium today. Should be a corker with 2 best teams in tournament. Winner will probably go on to win final. I give Belgium a slight edge.
Can I be any more chalky?
Sure. You could have chosen France...who is the slight favorite.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #109
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

A professional 1-0 win for the French
Belgium had chances but France had them under control for the most part.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #110
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I see it the opposite way. Belgium was careless against Japan...because they were basking in their own publicity. After the mighty scare that they went through...I think France will get Belgium's undivided attention.
Which they did by attacking France from the start. France, however was good enough to take the best that Belgium could throw at them and the tide starting turning towards the end of the 1st half. The French continued coming back early in the 2nd half with their goal and the game was theirs thereafter.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #111
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Sure. You could have chosen France...who is the slight favorite.
I forgot the bookmakers had the French as slight favorites though it seemed most of the pundits favored Belgium.
I'm picking England over Croatia and am rooting for them, though I love the Croatians as the team with the most heart in the tournament.
France over England in the final is about as chalky as it gets.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:06 AM   #112
snappit

I'm at work tonight but we are all being given time off to watch the game so will be watching nervously with my colleagues. It seems that shops will be closing during the game as well. Let's hope it's a good clean game and the best side wins. Hopefully that will be England and we reach our first major final for over 50 years. This is the only thing that's being talked about on the news. Croatia have a good team with many players who play for top European teams so it won't be easy at all. Keep cool guys, you can do it.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #113
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Rooting for the English today, but I fear Croatia will win if they're not too fatigued from that grueling match vs Russia
Old 07-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #114
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

It's squeaky bum time for the English
Old 07-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #115
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

In extra-time Croatia wins 2-1......
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #116
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
In extra-time Croatia wins 2-1......
My condolences to snappit. You can be proud of how your English lads performed throughout the tournament.
I have mixed emotions about today's result. While I am a fan of the English team and expected them to win, one has to love the determination of the Croatians and the way they continued to fight through all the gut wrenching overtimes of their previous games. Unfortunately, this will not be enough to overcome the large edge in talent of the French in the final.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #117
snappit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo View Post
My condolences to snappit. You can be proud of how your English lads performed throughout the tournament.
I have mixed emotions about today's result. While I am a fan of the English team and expected them to win, one has to love the determination of the Croatians and the way they continued to fight through all the gut wrenching overtimes of their previous games. Unfortunately, this will not be enough to overcome the large edge in talent of the French in the final.
Thanks. Got to say I was gutted last night especially after we went 1 up so early. Everyone over here is disappointed but are proud, not only about how they played but also how they conducted themselves. We had the youngest team, the least experienced team and although we have to admit they never played any of the big boys they did wonderfully and we never expected them to do so well. Things are in a bit of a mess in Britain at the moment with the nonsense going on over Brexit but this perked the country up. Eventually we were not good enough but it was a hell of a ride. We were the best team in the first half last night but lost our way and we were beaten by the better side overall. Big congratulations to Croatia and I will root for them on Sunday.

We now have one game to go, the play off for third place with Belgium on Saturday. It's a pretty meaningless match and it is likely we will use the match to give some of the squad who haven't yet played a game.

Looking forward to the final on Sunday. I think France will win but with the way things have gone in this tournament so far, who knows?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #118
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Allons Les Bleus !!!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #119
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Allons Les Bleus !!!
Pogba, now Mbappe' !!!
The rout is on....4-1 France
Les Bleus!
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #120
snappit

Really enjoyed that final. It had everything, lot's of goals, controversial referee decisions and some good end to end play. It was slightly marred by the pitch invasion by a protest group. France were superb and Croatia did their country proud. Well done to France, they are worthy winners of the tournament.

I think this has been a great tournament and have to say the Russians did a really good job hosting it.

Roll on the 2020 European Championships.