Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
topgun

1-2-3 seminar

Hello,

I would like to ask have anyone on this site, bought Dave Schwartz 1-2-3 seminar? I would like to get some feed back before I may the purchase.

Thanks,
Topgun
topgun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
chaz63

Yes, if your willing to follow the steps as directed, and do the work, it will work. If you try to make too many shortcuts, just like anything else, you risk diminishing your returns.
chaz63 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 AM   #3
jay68802

A friend of mine purchased it and really thinks it helped him, and I agreed. Focused my friend, and helped him from getting distracted.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
A friend of mine purchased it and really thinks it helped him, and I agreed. Focused my friend, and helped him from getting distracted.
Jay,

That is such a huge part of handicapping.

What I teach is that every handicapper should have their own PROCESS.

While I get the idea that each race is unique, one's approach to handicapping and especially contender selection, should not be.

Now, I am not saying that a 4f race for 2yr olds on the dirt should be handicapped exactly the same as a 9f turf, graded stakes for 3up.

I'm saying that the PROCESSES should be the same but with some changes in the factors.

The focus you spoke about, Jay, is a natural progression from knowing what your precise steps in handicapping THIS race need to be.

Many HSH users have developed what we call The Document. That is a formal declaration of how we handicap.

It is step-by-step.

Trust me when I say that this is a difficult thing to accomplish.

The 1-2-3 approach was a non-software version of a system I developed for HSH users. When I originally released it, the 1-2-3 document was 11 pages long!

We always continue to work on things and by that I mean two things: Improve and simplify. We want as few steps and rules as possible.

My current version of that document is now 4 pages.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 02:47 AM   #5
jay68802

I said "Every race is different!"

He said "No, a lot of the races are the same, they just have different horses in them."

That was the reply I got from the person that taught me to handicap. Still remember it.

1. What type of race is it?
2. What are the conditions?

That's my start.

Funny thing is even after doing this for 30+ yrs, I find that when I hit a slump, I am not following some basic step in my process.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I said "Every race is different!"

He said "No, a lot of the races are the same, they just have different horses in them."

That was the reply I got from the person that taught me to handicap. Still remember it.

1. What type of race is it?
2. What are the conditions?

That's my start.

Funny thing is even after doing this for 30+ yrs, I find that when I hit a slump, I am not following some basic step in my process.

Jay,

Try formalizing your process into a document or checklist.

You will be amazed at how it strengthens your handicapping and (as you said) your focus.

It's also the first step to improvement because it lets you notice WHICH steps break down most often and should be re-worked or removed.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Hazen1012

Hi Topgun

I use the 123 process with Dave's HSH software and have been really happy with the results. While HSH does the heavy lifting for me, the concepts remain the same for pen and paper and spreadsheet users.

It's a well structured process that has improved the profitability of my low odds contenders quite a bit. It can also cut your handicapping time down by showing which races offer the greatest potential for value VS the races that don't, early on in the handicapping process.

I agree with chaz63, you need to follow the process.
Hazen1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Hazen1012

Topgun

Forgot about this in my earlier post. Dave has posted a couple really good video's on his Talking Handicapping forum on Face Book. I'd suggest heading over there and checking those out.
Hazen1012 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply