Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
dilanesp

Justify has an ankle filling....

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/b...ans-uncertain/
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Yeah, he's done.

Convenient for the owners I suppose. No need to purchase hefty insurance policy if he were to continue to race.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If I owned him, I would have wrapped him in bubble wrap in the winner's circle at Belmont and he would be hidden from view today - never to run again.
With that much money at stake, screw being a good sport for racing.
It is business, not a sport.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, he's done.

Convenient for the owners I suppose. No need to purchase hefty insurance policy if he were to continue to race.
insurance costs would have to be huge on this horse
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #5
horses4courses

Not worth the risk......

With a soft tissue injury, there is no point risking such a valuable horse.

Naturally, there will always be those who consider the injury to be a set up,
and that the long suffering racegoer is being victimized once more.

Horses are delicate creatures - especially their legs and feet.
It's pretty amazing that they hold up as well as they do.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
If I owned him, I would have wrapped him in bubble wrap in the winner's circle at Belmont and he would be hidden from view today - never to run again.
With that much money at stake, screw being a good sport for racing.
It is business, not a sport.
And one could suppose THAT is part of racings’ problem, that is, IT IS A BUSINESS....and NO LONGER A SPORT...as in the sport of Kings that it started as....

Yeah, a business of consortiums, of conglomerates, a business of team making, and team building, and accountants, and frankenhorses and later, on to the breeding sheds. Any wonder the brightest candles burn the quickest...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Someday Silent

This is why I don't bother following WinStar horses anymore. They're all retired as soon as possible. It's not even about what's best for the horse, it's all about generating millions and churning out more foals that can't race.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #8
burnsy
self medicated

Hey, you can sign the Saratoga petition going around. #Justdefy...

I can’t be there, gotta wait in line for my Build A Bear!
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2018, 12:12 AM   #9
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
With a soft tissue injury, there is no point risking such a valuable horse.

Naturally, there will always be those who consider the injury to be a set up,
and that the long suffering racegoer is being victimized once more.
I personally don't know anyone who feels that way; however, in order to *follow* a sport in a dedicated manner, fans need athletes who are going to "play" longer than ................. a few months.

I'd say the same thing if it were tennis players, etc. If they were musical chairs every few months, and retired, I would probably lose interest in tennis.

I have no demands on the racing industry. Just saying you won't be around much longer if things don't change is fair game as a fan. :shrugs: There are many other sports, both equine and otherwise, to get interested in if it comes to that.

Making a CHOICE is not being a victim.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-14-2018 at 12:13 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Yeah, he's done.

The insurance premiums argument doesn't really make much sense. If the horse has an estimated $75M market value, you'd likely insure him for $85M, regardless of whether you run him or not. You always try to insure for a little more than market value to hedge against having undervalued whatever it is you are insuring. You insure regardless of what you do with the item. There are a lot of $100M paintings insured for full market plus hedge value kept locked in climate controlled vaults. The difference in premiums btwn those hanging on walls is negligible. The vault is primarily to make the owner feel safe, not the insurance company.

Horses can be seriously injured or die in their stalls just as easily on the track, the odds of that happening are not greater on the track, it's about the same. Besides, Justify is going on the track daily IIRC to lope around anyway and the AM on the track is more dangerous than the PM.

The premium would be calculated as premiums always are, based on actuarial tables. The biggest determinate in those tables is going to be the injury/death rates for that trainer and barn and track. FWIW the risk of an insured racehorse for the owner is actually greater if something happens to the horse off the track. It took a boxing fan to explain this to me, the insurance companies always pay for on track deaths, it is a battle to get them to pay for off track deaths.

The thing about insurable value is you have to prove it in order to get the policy. The only way to prove Justify is worth $75M is with the bill of sale, which I am pretty sure they do not have. If they did, he'd either already be retired or Coolmore would allow him to continue racing as it did AP (someone paid the insurance on AP while he continued to race, a value not based on his sales price, but Coolemore's announced fee of $200k). Coolemore for sure would already have announced Justify's fee and be all out to fill his book now, just as it was with AP. Breeders already booked to him would be featured ad naseum in Bloodhorse, just as it did with AP.

If the sale has not taken place yet, they likely can't get a policy for $75M. If the sale has not taken place yet, they can't risk a loss on the track, because his value will go down. Losses are excusable for all except those on a streak. Coolmore or any other buyer wants to pay as little as possible and will look for any angle it can. If you've sold the horse already, his value going down means nothing to you. That's on the buyer.

For breeders the horse has a lot of negatives, not racing at two, chief among them, and the fact that there already is a TC champion throwing some of the prettiest little foals you'll ever see, but that aren't really selling for enough to make back a good ROI for the breeders. Orb's sell for $750k on average, he stood $25k initially. He's already got some winners, so that's going to rise. Nyquist's mares in foal and weanlings are selling for $400k on average, and he stands for $40k. AP had a lovely little filly fail to hit her reserve recently, and unless the breeder got a discount, they would have only gotten $45k after his fee. You can easily spend $20k just owning horse. So maybe, at best, they would have made a $15k net.

That Justify's a Scat Daddy doesn't matter as much as people think it will. Like Orb and Nyquist, even if Mendelssohn never wins another race and starts at $25k, he will have a full book immediately. A lot of breeders will opt for him over Justify for his pedigree alone, throw in proven on 3 surfaces, able to race at 2, and being, like Orb and Nyquist, perfectly conformed, opting for him as a business decision will seem a much better investment.

Better to spend $25k and get $75k, then $200k and get $45k. You could take 8 mares to him for the price of 1 to Justify and gross $600k. If your $25k is netting you $725,000k, like it did with Orb, and you're getting $5.8M for your 8 mares, would you care that Justify won the TC undefeated and that Mendelssohn came in 20th in the KY Derby? As for Coolemore, Mendelssohn is a sunk cost, probably guaranteed $5M minimum profut a year for the 1st two years. They won't see any profit on Justify for 2 years. But by then, Justify has to hope his runners are not only as good as AP's, Mo's, Frankel's, Madaglio D'oro's, Tapit's, and Galelieo's, but Mendelssohn's, Caravagio's, No Nay Never's and half a dozen other affordable Scat Daddies.

Coolemore knows this. And FuPeg is still in Coolmore's barn...so they get that reminder daily.

If the horse really isn't injured, he's not running out of fear of injury, but fear of losing. The insurance is expensive, but that isn't why he's not running.

Last edited by papillon; 07-16-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typos
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
letswastemoney

Does anyone believe there's nothing really wrong? I mean, when the hoof thing first came up, we initially got some strange answer before another vet came in.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
That Justify's a Scat Daddy doesn't matter as much as people think it will. Like Orb and Nyquist, even if Mendelssohn never wins another race and starts at $25k, he will have a full book immediately. A lot of breeders will opt for him over Justify for his pedigree alone, throw in proven on 3 surfaces, able to race at 2, and being, like Orb and Nyquist, perfectly conformed, opting for him as a business decision will seem a much better investment.
Mendelssohn gets that elusive victory over Justify!

praise jesus
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Does anyone believe there's nothing really wrong? I mean, when the hoof thing first came up, we initially got some strange answer before another vet came in.
I don't know. I have no real opinion of the veracity.

Take it with a grain of salt.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
The way I would put it is if you told me $60 million might turn on finding something wrong with a horse, I am sure I could do it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #15
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The way I would put it is if you told me $60 million might turn on finding something wrong with a horse, I am sure I could do it.
Therefore, you believe the connections are not honest with the public.
That they will find any excuse to protect their investment and not run again.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: