Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
cutchemist42

Peter Berry done with racecalling??

Just seeing it on his twitter.....really bummed it isnt working out for him, I thought he was great.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
lamboguy

boy he is at the top of the heap in racecalling. it would be sad not to hear him any longer.

the other guy that i really like is Tony Calo. he gives you the most descriptive race call of anyone alive. he was in Northern California and came to Finger Lakes and took over from one of the games all-time superstars and has done a superb job at it.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Sorry to hear him go, he was up there with the best. Wish him luck in his future endeavors. I wonder how Mountaineer's pay compares to some of the larger tracks? I wouldn't have a clue how much a track announcer is paid. Also how many other duties at the track they have.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Mulerider

Sorry to hear this. I enjoy his calls. I'd hoped to meet him during the LaD quarterhorse meet in 2018. Best of luck in future endeavors.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

It’s another poor reflection on a failing sport.

A guy with as much talent as he has gets passed over for multiple jobs?

Peter, good luck and whatever you do.....go kill em! Lots of opportunity in this country and it’s getting better every day.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Peter, good luck and whatever you do.....go kill em! Lots of opportunity in this country and it’s getting better every day.
as strange as it sounds, hearing his voice and Tony Calo's have kept people interested in their tracks. whatever they pay these guys isn't enough for what they produce.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
thaskalos

When we ponder the unfairness and the "politics" that infiltrate the world of business...we needn't look any further than Peter Berry's ordeal, as he tries to earn a decent living in a field where he obviously excels like few others can. He is the Rolls-Royce of race-announcing...IMO.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

This is without a doubt a total shame. I consider Peter Berry to be one of the TOP race callers in the COUNTRY. I'm talking easily TOP TWO OR THREE. And if I'm being completely honest, he just might be the BEST OUT THERE currently. I'm dead serious about that.

I have ALWAYS been a huge fan and a champion of his work on this board. And I have lamented multiple times how he should EASILY be calling on a MAJOR CIRCUIT.

If the industry loses this talent via ignorance, stupidity, or worse, then I dare say it's true what is said about those running the show, by their most vocal critics, here on this board and elsewhere. I haven't always bought all the vitriol thrown towards racetrack management, but if Berry leaves the game, I'm inclined to start believing it all.

This is pure, unmitigated BS.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Zydeco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

This is without a doubt a total shame. I consider Peter Berry to be one of the TOP race callers in the COUNTRY. I'm talking easily TOP TWO OR THREE. And if I'm being completely honest, he just might be the BEST OUT THERE currently. I'm dead serious about that.

I have ALWAYS been a huge fan and a champion of his work on this board. And I have lamented multiple times how he should EASILY be calling on a MAJOR CIRCUIT.

If the industry loses this talent via ignorance, stupidity, or worse, then I dare say it's true what is said about those running the show, by their most vocal critics, here on this board and elsewhere. I haven't always bought all the vitriol thrown towards racetrack management, but if Berry leaves the game, I'm inclined to start believing it all.

Agree!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I wonder how Mountaineer's pay compares to some of the larger tracks? I wouldn't have a clue how much a track announcer is paid. Also how many other duties at the track they have.
it's an odd profession

it's probably a bit too much, but, it certainly would be interesting to hear
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Sorry to hear him go, he was up there with the best. Wish him luck in his future endeavors. I wonder how Mountaineer's pay compares to some of the larger tracks? I wouldn't have a clue how much a track announcer is paid. Also how many other duties at the track they have.
A few elite jobs pay well, like NYRA.

At lesser tracks, the announcer often has other duties and a long workday. E.g., television host, morning line maker, etc.

Woodbine offered $80k a year for the job Robert Geller now has, which includes tv hosting and handicapping as well as calling races.

Bad tracks might give you $500 a race card and no benefits.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
theiman

Peter has called harness racing before.

For years The Meadowlands had 2 announcers that split the duty, Warkentin and McKee. When McKee passed away have they replaced him? It certainly would have been a ideal part time job during the winter months to be at The Big M and spring summer fall at The Mountain.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #13
jeebus1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiman View Post
Peter has called harness racing before.

For years The Meadowlands had 2 announcers that split the duty, Warkentin and McKee. When McKee passed away have they replaced him? It certainly would have been a ideal part time job during the winter months to be at The Big M and spring summer fall at The Mountain.
Prior to Sam McKee, John Bothe and Warkentin split duties.
jeebus1083 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus!

Too many decent callers like Berry don’t get the true shot they deserve and someone mentioned Geller...well he sure didn’t get a chance at a big track in the USA and that’s due to other hacks that suck landing jobs they don’t deserve

The industry blows on who they employ and it continues to promote and support people in high profile announcing and management positions based on who they know!
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus!

Too many decent callers like Berry don’t get the true shot they deserve and someone mentioned Geller...well he sure didn’t get a chance at a big track in the USA and that’s due to other hacks that suck landing jobs they don’t deserve

The industry blows on who they employ and it continues to promote and support people in high profile announcing and management positions based on who they know!
I'm wondering which jobs you've pursued and missed out on that makes you so bitter about younger announcers prospering. Feel free to share.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: