Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Valuist

Mountaineer Saturday card

Kudos to Mountaineer for a great racing and betting card on Saturday. Felt they deserve their own thread.

Still have a bit more handicapping to do but thought two heavy morning line favorites are vulnerable: Immortal Eyes probably deserves favoritism but 7-5 in a 12 horse field? At that price he becomes a go-against. And Fabulous Strike at even money? I did a double take when I saw that. Based on his 2011 form, there's no reason to think he's anywhere near the horse he was years ago.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Sparky13

Never really bet on Mountaineer races. How do you take into account the odd track configeration in your handicapping?
Sparky13 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Valuist

I don't. Some horses like the track and others don't. I played the track quite a bit from 2006-2008. I try to avoid preconceived notions when I play a track.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I think it is safe to say Rule won't be running since he won yesterday at Saratoga.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I think it is safe to say Rule won't be running since he won yesterday at Saratoga.
I had already drawn a line thru him. The scratch of Rule would mean even less speed in the 7th. I don't know if Cryptolight will win but I don't see Demarcation outfinishing him like he did in last year's running.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
DigitalDownsJoe

On a side note about mountanieer...D Parker is often bet way below value, I have found O Pereria and E Oro are just as good Jockeys and can often get much better prices on them. I also tend to like the middle to outside posts in the 5-6f races..They seem to have an edge especially if they get out of the gate good.

digitaldowns.us virtual horse racing
DigitalDownsJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Valuist

When I was playing Mnr regularly it did seem like the outside was more often better than the inside. But not every day.

I don't think we need to worry about Parker being overbet, at least on Saturday. With Bejarano, Cornelio, Talamo, Borel, Lanarie, Garcia and Graham in town, the local riders don't figure to draw much money.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
Qstick333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Kudos to Mountaineer for a great racing and betting card on Saturday. Felt they deserve their own thread.

Still have a bit more handicapping to do but thought two heavy morning line favorites are vulnerable: Immortal Eyes probably deserves favoritism but 7-5 in a 12 horse field? At that price he becomes a go-against. And Fabulous Strike at even money? I did a double take when I saw that. Based on his 2011 form, there's no reason to think he's anywhere near the horse he was years ago.
I agree with both of those points. If the 2nd race was longer, I would worry about the speed battle between Immortal Eyes and the 12, Dazzled Saint. At 4.5f, not as much of a concern.

I was rather surprised at the 1:1 as well...

Good points,

Zach
Qstick333 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist

Much appreciated. We worked like crazy to put it together. Incidentally, I think Fabulous Strike is EXTREMELY shakey, but Immortal Eyes deserving of strong favoritism.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Valuist

Where's TVG or HRTV? I can't believe that those small fields at Mth or the NW2 claimers at LaD are better betting races than Mnr today.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
lamboguy

congraduolations to the SILLY GOOSE STABLES, ONEFAST, for winning the 3rd race stakes handicap with D'WILD RIDE. he won this race inspite of me because i urged him to run the horse last week in monmouth and she got stuck in a bad paced race for her, MIKE LUZZI didn't abuse her and she was right back in today and won the race. he is now 5 for 5 at the moutain. i am real happy for one of the nicest people on this board and am very proud of his horse overcoming my stupidity.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
picojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
congraduolations to the SILLY GOOSE STABLES, ONEFAST, for winning the 3rd race stakes handicap with D'WILD RIDE. he won this race inspite of me because i urged him to run the horse last week in monmouth and she got stuck in a bad paced race for her, MIKE LUZZI didn't abuse her and she was right back in today and won the race. he is now 5 for 5 at the moutain. i am real happy for one of the nicest people on this board and am very proud of his horse overcoming my stupidity.
actually Bejarano rode her
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #13
Some_One

Amateur hour at the Mountain continues, looks like they sprung the hatch when Velasquez wasn't ready yet on Fabulous Strike and ended up on the ground 2 strides out of the gate.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good card. I played last night to get the feel of the track.
Will be playing tonight for sure.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #15
firstoffclaim
Veteran

Mountaineer has a long history of screw ups having to do with bad steward decisions,gate trouble etc
firstoffclaim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply