Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
andymays
Veteran

Walter Payton

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp8200

Excerpt:

The burden of loneliness and his marriage weren't Payton's only problems. As a player he had numbed his maladies with pills and liquids, usually supplied by the Bears. Payton popped Darvon robotically during his playing days—says Holmes, "I'd see him walk out of the locker room with jars of painkillers, and he'd eat them like they were a snack"—and also lathered his body with dimethyl sulfoxide, a topical analgesic commonly used to treat horses. Now that he was retired, the self-medicating only intensified. Payton habitually ingested a cocktail of Tylenol and Vicodin. In a particularly embarrassing episode, in 1988, Payton visited a handful of dental offices, complaining of severe tooth pain. He received several prescriptions for morphine and hit up a handful of drugstores to have them filled. When one of the pharmacists noticed the activity, he contacted the police, who arrived at Payton's house and discussed the situation.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

And your point is?

This guy was one of the best ever and played on a terrible team for almost all of his career. I can't imagine the beating he took weekly and still came back the next week. Of course they pumped him full of pills. They pump them all full of pills and shoot them up with god knows what. NFL players are meat that gets cut the second something goes wrong. All for your entertainment.

Why don't you tell us what you actually think rather than just posting someone else's words.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Valuist

I agree with Al. Pound for pound, as good as anyone who has ever played the game.

I have to believe a very high percentage of former NFL players are taking a large number of painkillers. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
bigmack

I LOVED Walter Payton. I had heard rumors back when I was in Palatine and he was in Wheeling. Wheeling can decimate the strongest of wills.

As mentioned, I LOVED Walter Payton but I'm not surprised to hear of this.

You're asking what Andy's point is? Andy posts stories that he thinks people would have interest in.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
firstoffclaim
Veteran

Great football player, not much of a human being
firstoffclaim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
And your point is?

This guy was one of the best ever and played on a terrible team for almost all of his career. I can't imagine the beating he took weekly and still came back the next week. Of course they pumped him full of pills. They pump them all full of pills and shoot them up with god knows what. NFL players are meat that gets cut the second something goes wrong. All for your entertainment.

Why don't you tell us what you actually think rather than just posting someone else's words.
Hey Al, I thought the article was interesting. Especially the part that says "and also lathered his body with dimethyl sulfoxide, a topical analgesic commonly used to treat horses."

I don't know what your problem is but I'm finding out that you're a real effin jerk.

All for my entertainment?

Why don't you tell us what you actually think rather than just posting someone elses words?

Walter Payton was one of my all time favorites and still is. The article doesn't take anything away from my opinion of him. If you'd ever played a sport at a higher level you would know that most people in professional sports do what they have to do to get through a game. Especially in Football.

Like I said you're a real effin jerk.

Last edited by andymays; 09-28-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
ElKabong

Andy,

Thank you for posting this. Unfortunately pain meds are far too easily attainable for athletes, and not just the pros.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstoffclaim
What made him less of human being than you?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
Striker

Nice post Andy. Was the best rb that I ever saw play. I got to meet him several times as I played sports against his son in high school and he was always in attendance. He was very down to earth and would give autographs and talk to whomever would come up to him.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstoffclaim
Shouldn't a post such as this be followed by some sort of an explanation...or are we supposed to beg?

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-29-2011 at 12:40 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Shouldn't a post such as this be followed by some sort of an explanation...or are we supposed to beg?
He's most likely referring to his drug use and extra-marital affairs.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Hey Al, I thought the article was interesting. Especially the part that says "and also lathered his body with dimethyl sulfoxide, a topical analgesic commonly used to treat horses."

I don't know what your problem is but I'm finding out that you're a real effin jerk.

All for my entertainment?

Why don't you tell us what you actually think rather than just posting someone elses words?

Walter Payton was one of my all time favorites and still is. The article doesn't take anything away from my opinion of him. If you'd ever played a sport at a higher level you would know that most people in professional sports do what they have to do to get through a game. Especially in Football.

Like I said you're a real effin jerk.
Why? I have no idea what your intent is when you post something like this, a regular habit of yours. I don't know if you are mocking him, pointing out something interesting, or makng some social comment on drug use. If you would have written YOUR opinion like you just did, then it would have been quite clear wouldn't it?

And BTW, I don't think much of you either.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Why? I have no idea what your intent is when you post something like this, a regular habit of yours. I don't know if you are mocking him, pointing out something interesting, or makng some social comment on drug use. If you would have written YOUR opinion like you just did, then it would have been quite clear wouldn't it?

And BTW, I don't think much of you either.
Who cares if you don't know my intent. Why should I explain anything to a guy who loves to cheap shot people? The article speaks for itself and I didn't offer an opinion.

Like I said you're just an effin jerk who throws out crap like that all the time. Why don't you quit following me around and worry about yourself?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Who cares if you don't know my intent. Why should I explain anything to a guy who loves to cheap shot people? The article speaks for itself and I didn't offer an opinion.

Like I said you're just an effin jerk who throws out crap like that all the time. Why don't you quit following me around and worry about yourself?
Follow you around? Really? I wouldn't follow you around if you espoused the beliefs I hold most dear.

Who cares if I don't know your intent? I do, that's who. Maybe this one bothered me more than your regular multi-sucessive-post lead-ins. I used to love football and the reason was Walter Payton. I grew up watching this guy every Sunday because every Sunday he was there giving it his all. The entire Bears offense followed the formula handoff to Payton, handoff to Payton, incomplete pass, punt. I'm sure Valuist can back me up on that one. But he transcended the game and his play was beautiful to watch. I quit caring about the game after there was no more Walter Payton.

But then how dare I question the great "andymays". For he is our savior and knows all that is good for us. So not only are we not allowed to question your opinions, but we aren't even allowed to know what they are? It's simply good enough for us all to think you have one?

All you make clear to me is that story about you over at Paulick had a lot more truth in it than falsehood. Follow you around? Start your own message board. I guarantee I won't sign up. Follow YOU around? Don't flatter yourself.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
I LOVED Walter Payton. I had heard rumors back when I was in Palatine and he was in Wheeling. Wheeling can decimate the strongest of wills.

As mentioned, I LOVED Walter Payton but I'm not surprised to hear of this.

You're asking what Andy's point is? Andy posts stories that he thinks people would have interest in.
He lived in Wheeling? I live there now. I had never heard that. I know he lived in Arlington Heights and then South Barrington.

Payton was the best back I've seen play and I've seen Simpson, Sanders, Smith, Peterson and Dickerson (Jim Brown was before my time).
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply