Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
ElKabong

Poor just got poorer

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/01/3740520/poor-just-got-poorer.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed& utm_campaign=Feed:+StatelineorgRss-TaxesBudget+(Stateline.org+RSS+-+Taxes+&+Budget)#mi_rss=State%20Politics

After reading the link it raised the question in my mind (again) - when do Americans come to a realization that our economy has indeed deteriorated, and it's time to take a lesser job? Or if necessary, multiple menial types of jobs? When do Americans look at illegal immigrants' jobs (Subway shop counter types, bus boys, janitors, etc) and say "I NEED that job to survive!" ?

I guess we're still in denial as a nation. We think the govt can provide for everyone who can work, but don't wish to. This is saddening to me.

State after state is going to go thru what CA is currently. People need to wake up and figure out the world caught up to the US (for many many reasons). At some point tho, there comes a time of reckoning - time to go to work doing whatever is available, and stop counting on the govt to take care of you all the way to the grave
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 07-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
GameTheory

Fixed up the link:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/07/01/374...ot-poorer.html
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
bigmack

Meanwhile, in a blatant case of payola, as Gov. Moonbeam received over $2M in contributions to his campaign from the prison guard union, he led and passed a bill to boost starting pay to around $80K and every new hire starts with 8 weeks of vacation.

Clearly, the poor need to start their own union.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Clearly, the poor need to start their own union.
But how will they afford their union dues? Yes, I'm sure some of them have "paid their dues" in life.

Terrible problem, in CA, and other places. No easy answers, and corruption, past over-generosity and the general problems that people have - personality, pyschological, ego & arrogance, etc. complicate things.

I knew and tried to help a lady who was once a doctor, but turns out she wouldn't acceept that she's gone either bi-polar or pshychotic, and lost it all - and that she is really the source of her problems. Kept going back to school and train for things like being a chef - only to realize she was too old (62 back then) to physically do it (was too irrespoinsible anyway - failed at catering), so would go onto other things, keep trying stuff and taking the welfare along with the classes and fail and try other things. Occasionaly took jobs that were over her head, got a few weeks pay until she lost the job. But jobs she likely could handle she felt were 'beneath her'. Had to have top of the line foods, would say she'd rather starve than eat or drink common fast foods and even regular store milk. I gave up - she deserved to fail. I couldn't save her son - it might be hereditary, or she drove him nuts as well, and ended up getting kicked out of group homes.

Some people can be helped, others truly cannot be - they'll just keep failing, even trying to fail. I'd feel better getting more help to the people who really can be helped - but I do have that moral conflict that knows we really can't leave the total nincompoops without some assistance because they'll find ways to cause even more, costly trouble, besides the moral issue.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

California - self inflicted misery.
They get what they elect.

I line in NY, I speak from experience.

Both states would undoubtedly be better with anarchy than the governments they have now. Even unruly mobs have more integrity that our elected officials.

I've been watching the Revolution series on cable all day - where are all those people now that we need them?

Last edited by Tom; 07-04-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
HUSKER55

put out a call to arms and see what happens. if nothing else maybe you can scared the hell out of the politicians.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
Native Texan III

They say middle America has not had a real rise in living standards since 1973.
There was a mythical rise in family debt to cover that up, but that flush is busted. Even the "Government" bail out money is going or gone and the debt service mountain remains to swallow up future taxes, inflate or default.
The poorest third are a little better off through welfare but the top percentile have increased their share of wealth out of all proportion. The trickle up theory.

When 80% of jobs are in services it is only those able to sell high quality services that prosper - all the the other skills can be bought in any time when needed for a tenth of the cost from almost any other part of the world. That is why you now have so many short term temporary agency type jobs.

When politicians tell you the recovery is just around the corner they are extending the delusion. Yes a few sectors will recover including Wall St but mainstream USA will have to adjust to decades of the same. It has taken 3 decades even to realise that the world has moved on.
Native Texan III is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
NoDayJob

Get out of debt and only buy what you absolutely need. Phase two of a
deflationary depression is coming. Excessive credit and debt will have to be
liquidated. That means most asset classes will collapse. There will be bargains
galore, but most people won't have any cash available. The next president and
the chairman of the Federal Reserve will bear the brunt of the down turn as will
the political party in power. It ain't goina be any kinda picnic. Hope for the
best... However, be prepared for the worst.