Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > BREEDERS' CUP 2014 > Day 2 - Saturday, November 1, 2014

Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Houndog

Breeders Cup No Lasix Ban

While not a big fan of Mike Repole I do respect his decision to pull all of his horses out of the Breeders Cup Races. The new rule only applies to 2 year olds this year but will affect all horses in Breeders Cup 2013.

According to one DRF article 95% of all horses run on Lasix. It seems to me that more research should have been done before making this decision.

From a handicapping point the Breeder's Cup Races are hard enough to figure out, and now the handicapper is left to wonder which horses are affected and which are not. To Quote a part of the article. "I was just over at the Arc de Triomphe, and every single race all day long was run without Lasix,” said Craig Fravel, the Breeders’ Cup CEO. “I’m looking forward to seeing how it works.” Great let's experiment on arguably one of the top horse racing events in the country.

Perhaps it is not a big deal but I wonder if the European horses will be advantaged by this decision since they do not run on lasix there. This may really come into play next year when all horses will have lasix off. Wondering how many owners will pull their older horses next year as Mike Repole did.

It may be time to start looking at European horses closer next year in the dirt races as well as the turf.

Here is the link to the DRF article.

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...rted-territory
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
magwell

Breeders Cup ...first they make us watch the races with all saddle towels same color after we get used to the different colors for each number ....now they want to ban lasix and take us back another 30 years ....hard to believe.....
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
bisket

this just in... an owner from new york says the rockies are tall, so he's keeping his horses in the east...
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Itamaraca
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog

It may be time to start looking at European horses closer next year in the dirt races as well as the turf.
When are those PP's available?

Not like there's any other racing presently, so might as well get a jump on next year.
Itamaraca is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
burnsy
self medicated

I'll say what i said before....the breeders cup is always playing dumb games and this is just another black eye to their stupidity. Why would you do this on breeders cup day without others and tracks on board? What? These horses that are not 2 Yo's that have been using it, for months and years, either quit using it now or soon......or they go cold turkey for the Breeders Cup? Its only 12 months away. Then they will wonder why some owners piss on them? Hilarious.......the race day medication debate is worth having...but only racing could try to implement something like this on Breeders Cup day.....lol...lol. Thats fair for the bettors too......For the Super Bowl i heard they were banning gatorade, oxygen and pain relievers.....lol..lol. Just for that day.

Last edited by burnsy; 10-19-2012 at 09:19 PM.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Dahoss9698
Veteran

6 lol's?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
burnsy
self medicated

I took two out...because i don't know how to make tears.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
UK View

Seems odd from a UK point of view. Although I feel it is a good thing to try and eradicate drugs in racing it does seem strange to do it here?

How can the Juvenile form be trusted if all those performances are on Lasix, only to NOT run on it in the BC races?

Coudl be plenty of big price winners I'd imagine, but as a betting medium has no appeal.
UK View is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
magwell

Next thing we know the B.C. will want to run the races in Europe instead of Belmont or Churchill downs in the future.....
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket
this just in... an owner from new york says the rockies are tall, so he's keeping his horses in the east...

you guys are to easy....
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Dahoss9698
Veteran

No one responded...except yourself.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Repole makes some good points.

Especially about Belmont kind of getting "overlooked" here once again.

"That Belmont hasn't had the Breeders’ Cup in almost 10 years to me is a travesty."
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Repole makes some good points.

Especially about Belmont kind of getting "overlooked" here once again.

"That Belmont hasn't had the Breeders’ Cup in almost 10 years to me is a travesty."
Thats a whole different subject. But he is right. The whole idea was different tracks each year. You get a regional flavor and regional support from each place it moves to......thats good for horse racing and the Breeders Cup. Of course they screwed that up years ago. So the original intentions are pretty much a lie. Then someone makes a stupid comment about the "rockies being too high"...like anyone cares. Before people comment do they even think? Maybe thats why they have thousands of posts...i don't know. But if people think that the east coast owners and trainers are the only ones that will get pissed off about this whole stupid, debacle of an idea....just wait, watch and listen...the NFL just outlawed nasal strips just for the Superbowl...the players love this,...lol
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

The 2 year old turf races am guessing will have some Euros to look at so their form should be unaffected.

McLaughlin has been running most of his 2 year olds off Lasix this year, Fortify is an example, unless they are proven to have bled, I guess the way things were done in the past when you had bleeders lists and horses had to have bled to go on Lasix. Saw a quote from him that a very small number in his stable have scoped hemorrhaged and really need treatment.

Not sure if other trainers will know if their horses are bleeders or not prior to the race given they all go on Lasix so quickly in training so this is a factor.

Maybe look at US trainers who have gone overseas with horses and done well or at least competed so must have some knowledge on how to get a horse ready without the shot. Mott, Assmussen, Ward come to mind along with McLaughlin. The old school guys like a Van Berg with Alysheba as a four year old should be able to get them there as well.

Next year is when it will be crazy with all of the BC races being no Lasix and wonder if some of the races will have four and five horse fields made up of all Euros and other foreign based types.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #15
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndog

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...rted-territory
The Americans dominated the dirt version of the Dubai World Cup without lasix. Some may be affected here, but overall the American dirt horses should still win most of the dirt races even without lasix.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply