Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
strapper

Smartest Handicapper I Met

...was a lady, a retired exec. secretary....she bet only to show, $100 every time, and no more than twice a day. Her win % was phenomenal! She was my handicapping idol growing up. What handicapper influenced you guys/gals the most? Surely, someone had to make an impression on you along the way, usually a family member I would imagine.
strapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strapper
What handicapper influenced you guys/gals the most? Surely, someone had to make an impression on you along the way, usually a family member I would imagine.
My brother…

Leaving Monmouth when I was around 15yo I told him this game is beatable full time. He said; “I believe you can do it”.

Given that fact that my father took a powder when I was 6yo, his word meant a lot and it was a real confidence boost to get over some very challenging times and all the doubt this game throws at you.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
Given that fact that my father took a powder when I was 6yo
There are a handful of players I would like to spend a day at the track with, and Dan, you very well could top the list.

For my extended version of the answer to this question, please refer to the HANA blog the first week of December. http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom

For my extended version of the answer to this question, please refer to the HANA blog the first week of December. http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/
The feeling is mutual and these are brilliant articles Doug.

Something about the North West horseplayer that really developed a strong bond with racing. I’ve spoken to Jon White who you mentioned and its clear where his heart is and how it was shaped.

I know we are gambling 1st and our game needs to be marketed in those terms. People who enjoy risk, puzzles etc should be our target market / but I’m torn with our own stories that always seem to center around live racing and the cast of characters that influenced us.

It’s completely idealistic of course; but if I could put a good math student who enjoyed sports in general in a time capsule with these two scenarios…
  • It’s 1973 and 5 of my brothers friends would go to Monmouth during the day / drive to Liberty Bell at night and spend the wee hours at White Castle discussing the day.
Or…
  • Take that same student to my computer desk and have him play an on-line day / night session and order in Pizza after the last at the Mountain.
I’m betting that 1st experience would have a better shot at influencing a future player and yet; I realize those days are gone and access to all signals from home is the future.

That’s why I’m glad people like yourself (HANA) are here to make sense of a very challenging future in racing. I wish there was a logical compromise, but I’m afraid the conflict is inevitable.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
DeanT

The innocence of youth and horseplaying. People tell stories about playing football as a kid, or in Canada hockey, and the good times and the learning experiences. It is no different for horseplayers. I loved trying to puzzle my way in this game during that time. I did not win, not even close, but what a time.

Now most of my followings are from some sharpies on the net, or in books. Reading Gambling Wizards about the late Chip Reese, who really did not know much about baseball using his skills to bet and win at baseball. The chapter on Alan Woods who is testimony that this game is not a bunch of degenerates betting on cockroach races. Barry Meadow's monthly column in ATM where he never speaks about betting an angle, only about getting the best of it. The people who taught me that this game has absolutely nothing to do with picking winners are the ones I am indebted to as an adult gambler.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Michael Kipness (the wiz) is the best handicapper that I have played along side for any period of time. He remains one of my best friends.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Maxspa

Best Handicappers I've Met!

All,
There are four handicappers that I've met and watched in awe as they demonstrated their handicapping prowess. In no particular order they are C.J. Milikowski, Michael Pizzola, David Rowe+ a person that has to remain nameless! All four can effectively break down a race in several different ways very quickly to determine the contenders. Two of them C.J. and M.Pizzola are longshot oriented and will come up with the price horse and the overlay!
C.J. can evaluate a race very quickly and give you substantiated reasons why his selection was the best! At Saratoga during a PA get together
He would not only handicap Saratoga races but a couple of other tracks as well! He had remarkable success with the price horses he chose! Fantastic handicapper who had the admiration of his fellow PA participants!
While attending a few of Michael Pizzola's seminars in Las Vegas, IMHO he is the best handicapping teacher out there-bar none. He is dynamic, well organized and extremely knowledgeable! He willingly shares his expertise and goes the extra mile to help people understand handicapping approaches.
David Rowe is the technician! He produces a handicapping sheet that effectively uses position as his strong suit. I'd use a computer program and sit next to him at Saratoga. We'd bet a quarter on what horse would have the lead at the 1/4 pole. His choice won the majority of the time! He consistantly would re-evaluate his handicapping sheet that is based on his own computer program!
The nameless handicapper used several approaches to get his selections. This gentleman, introduced me to Huey Mahl's methods and George Green's Speedplus software. He was a quietly renowned around Saratoga and often would send his selections on a daily basis to people who went south in the winter! His choices were good enough to win but could be used for place and show parlays which he often constructed himself! A voracious reader of handicapping books etc, he always updated his knowledge base!
All four of these handicappers had similarities! They had an extensive background of acquired horse racing knowledge that they continued to upgrade whenever possible! Computer access to racing information was
part of their regimen! Each of them continued to improve their expertise
by making necessary changes to update their approach. Finally and perhaps most important, each shared their expertise with others.
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Charlie D

I've never met them as it was done online, but my nomination are those that took the time to educate me

I thank you AP, Prufrock, RichieP etc, in fact, i thank everyone that bothers to post on one of these boards
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #9
timtam

Although I never met him personally I did communitcate via email and he

was a true gentleman. The late Danny Holmes who agree with his way or

not showed you could return from the track in the black.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
delayjf

Quote:
Huey Mahl's methods and George Green's Speedplus software
George Green Speedplus - that's a blast from the past, I too purchased his software but never really gave it much of a try. I meet him at his house one time on North Island. How did you fare using it?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
smokinjoe@bp

this guy i have met has more knowledge of the ponies,than anyone that i have met personally,whenever i need advice or a race checked out he will gladly assist. he works very hard at this game from sunup to sundown.

this guy rarely posts selections because he is so busy compiling his data, he's a class act and a winner and a person whom i am happy to have met.

his name is lamboguy.
smokinjoe@bp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

The best, by far, handicapper I have ever met is, and has been for over 30 years, my handicapping/wagering partner. He still uses pencil and paper and a calculator. He can look at a race for 5 minutes, zero in on one or 2 horses, make a few calculations and tell you who the winner is and whether or not it should be bet.

He has a computer, I talked him into buying one (took 5 years to convince him that he needed one), but all he uses it for is to download the PDFs from Brisnet.com and to wager through BetPad.com.

I am the numbers guy in the partnership, because we play only superfectas (it is my job to determine the runners for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and set the ticket), he is the analytical one whose brain is horse racing smart with a phenomenal memory and the ability to analyze races, without being able to explain how he is doing it. There is no way a computer program could be written that would do what his brain does. He is, simply, amazing!

BTW, he was the one who, in the late 70's, told me "If you figure out how to make money betting on win tickets, don't tell anyone or you won't make money anymore".

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 11-28-2008 at 11:31 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #13
sealman

My father was probably the best I ever knew. He introduced me to Monmouth when I was 16 (many many many years ago). He almost always came home a winner. One day I figured it out: he was able to discern discrepancies among the various pools and determine if any horse was being overbet; and then he acted accordingly. Sure do miss him.
sealman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealman
My father was probably the best I ever knew. He introduced me to Monmouth when I was 16 (many many many years ago). He almost always came home a winner. One day I figured it out: he was able to discern discrepancies among the various pools and determine if any horse was being overbet; and then he acted accordingly. Sure do miss him.
I think, back in the day when we had to go to the track and there was no simulcasting or ADWs, toteboard analysis was easier. Smart money sometimes was very obvious and comparing the pool amounts was, indeed, a valuable tool.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
citygoat

Jack who used to contribute to drf chats all the time.He was patient and helpful to any and all.First rate.
citygoat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply