Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
Secondbest

Man Who would kill horse racing

Came across this article
https://deadspin.com/the-man-who-wou...1838098923/amp
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
lex

Well I'd say he's not getting much traction because I live in Albany and I've never heard of him. He's probably mentioned in the one or two articles the Times Union does every season which I don't read. And the blog they linked to isn't even active anymore.

Looks like the guy that wrote the piece has had some change of heart about the game. No idea how he wrote decent reports about trainers and their care of the horses before and didn't notice lots of horse deaths. I'm just a fan and small bettor and it's something that I know about every day.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wasn't this the guy they featured on the last HBO "Real Sports" horse racing hit piece?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #4
Secondbest

I have no idea. I was scrolling around , came upon this article and figured I'd post it.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Wasn't this the guy they featured on the last HBO "Real Sports" horse racing hit piece?
Yes.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Waquoit

I'm worried that this stuff will get traction sooner rather than later.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Well I'd say he's not getting much traction because I live in Albany and I've never heard of him. He's probably mentioned in the one or two articles the Times Union does every season which I don't read. And the blog they linked to isn't even active anymore.
He was part of the HBO "Real Sports" piece, made the rounds on some other news/talks show at the height of the SA crisis, and testified to the NY Senate a couple months ago.

And the blog is still active, with posts as recently as this morning.

Think he's been running that site for ~5 years and most of it has been a futile effort. But the shit show at Santa Anita this year definitely opened a window of opportunity, and he's been making the most of it.

Question is whether he and others like him can keep the momentum going. If SA opens up and horses start dying again, they'll have no problem keeping the public's interest and ramping up the backlash. If it's a quiet meet like Del Mar, then I think he fades back into irrelevancy by 2020.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
He was part of the HBO "Real Sports" piece, made the rounds on some other news/talks show at the height of the SA crisis, and testified to the NY Senate a couple months ago.

And the blog is still active, with posts as recently as this morning.

Think he's been running that site for ~5 years and most of it has been a futile effort. But the shit show at Santa Anita this year definitely opened a window of opportunity, and he's been making the most of it.

Question is whether he and others like him can keep the momentum going. If SA opens up and horses start dying again, they'll have no problem keeping the public's interest and ramping up the backlash. If it's a quiet meet like Del Mar, then I think he fades back into irrelevancy by 2020.
Thanks, the story had a link to his Times Union hosted blog which is what I clicked on.

I think there are lots of people around that hate racing but they aren't as active or mobilized as for other animals causes. I think in areas where there are tracks there's just always been an agree to disagree sentiment. Most people I know hate racing actually.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I wonder what this guy, Patrick Battuello, does for a living. That article says he opened an all-vegan restaurant in Albany, but the HBO Real Sports bit says that he’s a “former” restaurant owner. So I can only surmise he’s living off SS disability, or his relatives, and does nothing else but type on his computer all day. Wonder if he’s ever seen a dead horse?
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #10
thaskalos

When the racetracks willingly distort the racing-related death reports of these horses, by failing to report the deaths which occur during training...then this pours gasoline on the small fires that the Patrick Battuellos of this world start. When businesses aren't forthright with the pertinent data that they release, then it's apparent that there is something there that's worth hiding...and this invariably results in even more scrutiny being attracted to their business dealings.

A business that likes keeping its dirty laundry a secret isn't likely to thrive in today's "information age".
Old 09-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I wonder what this guy, Patrick Battuello, does for a living. That article says he opened an all-vegan restaurant in Albany, but the HBO Real Sports bit says that he’s a “former” restaurant owner. So I can only surmise he’s living off SS disability, or his relatives, and does nothing else but type on his computer all day. Wonder if he’s ever seen a dead horse?
You don't appreciate the transparency he's providing on this? You'd prefer more dead horses (or the same number)? I'm curious what you're #triggered by...
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
You don't appreciate the transparency he's providing on this? You'd prefer more dead horses (or the same number)? I'm curious what you're #triggered by...
I get that you're snarky, but you're also talking to a group of people well aware of the flaws in racing. The guy logging horse deaths for a living in the article wants the sport ended, and I don't think any of us here agree with that mission.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #13
cutchemist42

He got on Outaide the Lines too. ESPN and Deadspin are really hitting the sport hard. I guess he went full vegan as his pizza place was getting ripped for using factory farmed meat which we know is atrocious in the USA.

I've noticed this guy write before on horse racing on Deadapin. Seems like hes really shifted his stance.

Last edited by cutchemist42; 09-26-2019 at 10:50 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #14
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I get that you're snarky, but you're also talking to a group of people well aware of the flaws in racing. The guy logging horse deaths for a living in the article wants the sport ended, and I don't think any of us here agree with that mission.
I don't agree with it either, don't get me wrong. However, the people being aware of the flaws with racing and then circling the wagons when it's ever questioned and/or exposed from someone not "in" racing is maddening. It's like we've lost the ability to hold two competing wishes. I can want racing to continue but also want the horses to be maintained and cared for better. If that means I need to sacrifice something, whether it's fewer races, greater take (lol that this might help as it's already high), whatever, I'm willing to do so. It also means I'm willing to put up with a couple black marks on the sport, which are rightfully deserved.

This guy takes his research or notes and comes to an extreme position, which stinks. But the first thing some posters ITT thread do is try to discredit his character.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #15
Secondbest

And now we have the Governor of California weighing in

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/cal...035631370.html