Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #31
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
Consequences, what consequences ?...

It might interfere with the natural migration pattern of the Sonoran pronghorn, which many people realize is an endangered species. We will probably need an environmental impact plan and an acceptable compensatory mitigation program outlined before construction could possibly start.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #32
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
Your last sentence is only true if you believe the msm narrative that he's 'dangerous'

Trump is a big softie, anyone who cares to look can see this.
Maybe I needed a better line than "Monkey with AK-47." I meant he came in with guns a blazing. I thought since he wasn't a politician he would go at things slowly, instead he seems to be dropping bombs left and right. So far I don't have problems with anything, just thought he would proceed with more caution.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #33
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
he's already said he wants a 20% tax on imports from mexico to pay for it.
My point is that it will be part of comprehensive tax reform applicable to all imports, not just from Mexico.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #34
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89
My point is that it will be part of comprehensive tax reform applicable to all imports, not just from Mexico.
I have no problem with that
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
It might interfere with the natural migration pattern of the Sonoran pronghorn, which many people realize is an endangered species. We will probably need an environmental impact plan and an acceptable compensatory mitigation program outlined before construction could possibly start.
Funny you should mention this.
Last night, I had roasted pronghorn. It was perfectly prepared.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #36
HalvOnHorseracing

So the Mexicans are trying to think of ways to get back at Trump for The Wall. They are considering various options including

- throwing all U.S. law enforcement agencies out of the country

- discontinuing inspections of trucks going north

- no longer trying to stop drugs going north. The quote was, "Let the wall stop them."

- not stopping central american refugees looking to go north

Like most of the pitchfork and axe handle crowd, it's react first, then once you've found yourself in the soup figure out if the consequences are acceptable. If you were trying to come up with a list of the stupidest things to have a cultural/economic war, it is to have a sovereign country pay for your wall.

“For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind.”
Hosea, 8:7
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #37
Teach

But Boeing and Wackenhut stock. Mucho Dinero!.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #38
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
So the Mexicans are trying to think of ways to get back at Trump for The Wall. They are considering various options including

- no longer trying to stop drugs going north. The quote was, "Let the wall stop them."

Like most of the pitchfork and axe handle crowd, it's react first, then once you've found yourself in the soup figure out if the consequences are acceptable. If you were trying to come up with a list of the stupidest things to have a cultural/economic war, it is to have a sovereign country pay for your wall.

Mexico is already a shit hole, throwing out US law enforcement agencies won't change anything.

2-4 Mexico does a real fine job now. All four of them mean squat in comparison to building the wall.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #39
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Mexico is already a shit hole, throwing out US law enforcement agencies won't change anything.

2-4 Mexico does a real fine job now. All four of them mean squat in comparison to building the wall.
You do know why U.S. law enforcement is there, right?
Old 01-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #40
AndyC

Quote:

Trucks are inspected by the US before entry.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #41
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
Trucks are inspected by the US before entry.
Well, you wouldn't know this, but I spent a year at the border looking at ways to increase efficiency without compromising security, and I spent many hours at the inspection facilities as well as the crossing stations. I'm highly familiar with what goes on at the border. Mexico inspects trucks going North for various reasons, and in particular the drayage vehicles that move goods from Mexican warehouses to American warehouses. Many of the trucks (and rail cars) that are inspected in Mexico are sealed by the Mexicans, and once on the American side ICE agents can see if the seals have been tampered with, giving them cause to do more intense inspection. In the same regard the U.S. does inspections of some vehicles moving south, primarily looking for guns and money. Vehicles that are turned back by Mexico (or the U.S.) are vehicles that won't slip though the inspection process. It's a protocol that has long been in place at the border and it part of the cooperative border management process.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:42 PM   #42
zico20

Quote:
You do know why U.S. law enforcement is there, right?
Two reasons are to fight drug trafficking and organized crime. If there are other reasons, please let me know.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #43
chadk66

Quote:
Well, you wouldn't know this, but I spent a year at the border looking at ways to increase efficiency without compromising security, and I spent many hours at the inspection facilities as well as the crossing stations. I'm highly familiar with what goes on at the border. Mexico inspects trucks going North for various reasons, and in particular the drayage vehicles that move goods from Mexican warehouses to American warehouses. Many of the trucks (and rail cars) that are inspected in Mexico are sealed by the Mexicans, and once on the American side ICE agents can see if the seals have been tampered with, giving them cause to do more intense inspection. In the same regard the U.S. does inspections of some vehicles moving south, primarily looking for guns and money. Vehicles that are turned back by Mexico (or the U.S.) are vehicles that won't slip though the inspection process. It's a protocol that has long been in place at the border and it part of the cooperative border management process.
when did you spend this year at the border?
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #44
AndyC

Quote:
Let me see if I understand your point. Mexico will stop inspections of trucks resulting in what? Greatly slowing down the border crossing so that Mexican businesses will ship less goods to the US. How is this leverage for Mexico? Mexico has zero leverage vs the US. Any of the tactics you listed would hurt Mexico more than the US. Not exactly a winning hand.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #45
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
when did you spend this year at the border?
In the early 2000's. I was doing a lot of work with the Mexican government up until about 2010, mostly on energy and air quality issues. Most of the recommendations got thrown out the window after 9/11 though, although eventually one of the main recommendations for the two agencies at the border (at that time Immigration and Naturalization and Customs) to merge was done.