Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

what the hell happened at the Big A

a MULTI-YEAR bias disappeared like a escaped convict overnight from Friday to Saturday. I have tracked this course EVERY CARD for 4 years now and it not only disappeared, but it changed POLARITY.

Ken. You know all about track maintenance, do you think they dug it up or brought in a lot of soil?

input appreciated
46zilzal is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What changed?

I only palyed on erace yesterday - the first, and caught nice front end winner at 7-1. Are closers now winning?
Old 02-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
the little guy

Personally I think the supposed speed bias on the inner has been basically a fantasy for the past ten years, however, this weekend has been ridiculous. It is almost impossible to pass.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Tee

To me it looks like a nice balance as to where the winners were coming from for the past 3 days.

Maybe it's just me
Old 02-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
the little guy

I think if you dissect this weekend's races you will see it was a great advantage to being on the lead.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
shanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Personally I think the supposed speed bias on the inner has been basically a fantasy for the past ten years, however, this weekend has been ridiculous. It is almost impossible to pass.
Agree 100%.

Believe it or not the thread starter is complaining because "early" was NOT good on Saturday. Lookin at result charts thats kinda hard to grasp ha? lol

his definition of early is energy based rather than "positional" so thats the rub.

you want to see an early biased track in EVERY sense of the word??
PENN NATIONAL

Richie
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
kenwoodallpromos

A

Track kept its small inside post bias; total 1 workout Friday; very slow works earlier, sealed track works Saturday; Saturday results say "sealed" for the first several races, reflected in several races.
Since I claim NY to have among the best mainenance crews, even for off-tracks, and they try to make it safe and fair, I say they were working hard to keep the track raceable and had no choice but to super-seal it. The best guess of whoever was writing the track condition during the day must have assumed the track would lose it seal (speed) during the day. But it did not, even though "sealed" is not listed in early races.
Sand- I am not aware of how dumping extra sand on the track during wet weather would be easy to do while racing every day, or how a deeper track would speed it up like crazy. Steam rolling the track would do that!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
T
Sand- I am not aware of how dumping extra sand on the track during wet weather would be easy to do while racing every day, or how a deeper track would speed it up like crazy. Steam rolling the track would do that!
That's what I am saying: it slowed tremendously
Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanta
Believe it or not the thread starter is complaining because "early" was NOT good on Saturday.

his definition of early is energy based rather than "positional" so thats the rub.
I continue to be amazed at the clairvoyants of the world. Since when does asking an opinion qualify as complaining? One learns to adapt parimutually, I was just wondering at the cause that sprinters with multiple, significantly minus e/l's are winning for the FIRST TIME IN FOUR YEARS. Wouldn't that send up a red flag to you and your records? This was an observation noted by no less than four other people who use the same records as myself and reported independently. It is not an insignificant shift.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #10
nomadpat

46, why didn't you ask that question originally? How in the world are people supposed to know that you were wondering "I was just wondering at the cause that sprinters with multiple, significantly minus e/l's are winning for the FIRST TIME IN FOUR YEARS." if you didn't state that?
nomadpat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2006, 12:03 AM   #11
toetoe
Veteran

Zilz,

That's a great take on it, and I'm glad to get the heads-up. I didn't see much as my computer crashed about a hundred times. I was lucky to get in my losing pick-four entry. Did I mention I hated the Atreo Persaud horse?

One thing I see, which may or may not be parimutuelly useful, is that on some days, pressers take their best crack but, unlike "average" days, have little shot, whereas Silky Sullivan types have at least a prayer, like that John Morrison horse in the nightcap.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #12
the little guy

You mean the John Morrison horse in the nightcap that Jan Rushton said got a brief freshening after breaking its maiden in November?

November 2003.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:17 AM   #13
toetoe
Veteran

Le Petit Guy,

Let's not Rushton judgement. I pray you're as fond of Suzy Walder (Waldman?) as I am. The sports screamers hate her, but as the greatest hetero fan of musical theatre, I gotta love her, if I may Garagiolize. I gotta believe, Tony, that it could be much, much worse. How? Two words --- Joanne Jones.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #14
shanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadpat
46, why didn't you ask that question originally? How in the world are people supposed to know that you were wondering "I was just wondering at the cause that sprinters with multiple, significantly minus e/l's are winning for the FIRST TIME IN FOUR YEARS." if you didn't state that?
you know only IF you have magical powers

Richie
shanta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Just so I can understand, what would a 20 mile per hour wind either up or down the backstretch do to these calculations? How is this adjusted for with energy or median?

For example, same horse might run this, and actually be the exact same performance:

+ Wind :45 1:10
0 Wind :46 1:10
- Wind :47 1:10

This is very common in New York. The energy numbers would be wildly different if there in no pace variant, even if the performance was very similar. How do you fix it?

Last edited by cj; 02-06-2006 at 09:15 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: