Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #106
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

None of that long winded post is the reason for the extra 7 feet per 1/4 mile.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #107
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Have you ever read "The Last Nine Innings" by Charles Euchner? If not, I strongly suggest you do. I'm certain you would enjoy it.
Thank you for the recommendation and I have checked the book out from my local library and I will read it this weekend.

Incidentally, baseball is my “second love” in sports next to horseracing; and I have great admiration for Bill James and his development of Sabermetrics.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #108
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
None of that long winded post is the reason for the extra 7 feet per 1/4 mile.
Good, but you should address your comment to the poster, “Classhandicapper” because he was the one with the question. I am finished with this explanation; either you have the quantitative background (which is not very deep) or you do not and apparently you do not, but as the saying goes “you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time” and some on this forum will buy into your rhetoric, but all will not.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #109
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Let's see, a guy who we watched develop his approach here over the years rise to become a national force in racing: Beyer, Ragozin, Brown, Milkowski.....

He has posted many examples to back up his opinions, and he has a loyal following of people whose game has changed because of his efforts.

And then we have you......
Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #110
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Good, but you should address your comment to the poster, “Classhandicapper” because he was the one with the question. I am finished with this explanation; either you have the quantitative background (which is not very deep) or you do not and apparently you do not, but as the saying goes “you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time” and some on this forum will buy into your rhetoric, but all will not.
You can pretend you know why this happens like you do and try to make it sound like you solved the riddle of the Sphinx, or you could choose to find out the real answer like I did, which is a very simple explanation, by the way, and involves only the simplest of math.

I do find it funny you keep thinking you know something about my background and my motives. Keep trying, maybe someday you'll get something right about me. You're like 0 for 100 so far. As a baseball fan, that means you are batting .000.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #111
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
lmao.

I agree, but I'd say I spend 30 minutes a week doing just that because I don't have a better alternative.
I don't enter anything, in 3 seconds I have any selected track/date with all the calculations done in Excel.
In regards to Trakus, who knows what the barrier is but that data should already be in a csv file from providers like Bris.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #112
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin
I don't enter anything, in 3 seconds I have any selected track/date with all the calculations done in Excel.
I'm accumulating some data that doesn't lend itself to importing easily. So I've been doing some cutting, pasting, and reformatting for the last few months. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to determine if the information has enough value to be worth the trouble. I'm working really hard to come up with some original insights right now.

If I continue doing this longer term, perhaps someone like you can help me automate some of it.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-01-2015 at 01:46 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #113
PIC6SIX

Horses are herd animals and some races are run just like stock car races where (cars/horses) are drafting behind front runners. How do you equate such a performance???? Been reading Cary Fotias's publication. Seems you both focus on the same handicapping factors???
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply