Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 02-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

So, is this a win anybody should care about?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...t-adw-millions

North Dakota owes ADW millions......

Does this alter any current law or such?
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
HUSKER55

I am thinking that alot of ADW's may not be following the tax laws on such matters like this. There are lawyers who specialize in this department, {taxes}, so I am thinking this is not a simple process. Throw in the IRS and I am pretty sure it is murky at best.

What is needed is a national streamlined approach that does not require 8 years of law school. I am thinking this opportunity will help everyone.

But the last 8 years have been stagnant as far as our government is concerned so I don't see any relief or reform on the horizon.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Appy

Hard to imagine how tracks such as those in ND offering purses the size they do, and generating the small handles they do, could owe anyone much of anything percentage based.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
startngate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Does this alter any current law or such?
No, it doesn't, unless ND hasn't fixed their laws. It only applies to the timeframe referenced in the lawsuit. If they haven't fixed that loophole, then they would also owe a tax refund to every ADW that's been licensed there (assuming there are no more appeals, of course). My guess is they fixed it at some point after the fact.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appy
Hard to imagine how tracks such as those in ND offering purses the size they do, and generating the small handles they do, could owe anyone much of anything percentage based.
This has nothing to do with those tracks.

Mr. Wagner had an account with an ADW (Advance Deposit Wagering) company located in North Dakota. He had an account balance of around $2.5 MD at the time the ADW filed for bankruptcy. If the article is factually correct, the state incorrectly/illegally collected tax from the ADW which will need to be returned bankruptcy estate.

Mr. Wagner will then be able to collect some/all of his $2.5 MD, depending on where he falls on the creditor list. With few exceptions, liquidated assets are paid out to those are owed the most first.

Given that Mr. Wagner is not the only one who is owed money, I suspect others owed a significant amount of money will be happy to see payment on monies they thought long lost!
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

Why would anyone allow $2.5 Mil to sit in an online gambling account?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
startngate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Why would anyone allow $2.5 Mil to sit in an online gambling account?
Mr. Wagner's wagering level probably required it. Several stories written about the case indicated he was betting over $130 million / year at the time, so that's in line with a normal churn rate of 7x.

Given he was also being rebated, it was probably closer to 10x in reality, but given the sheer volume he was betting it's not particularly shocking, unless the reports were inaccurate.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
..... Mr. Wagner will then be able to collect some/all of his $2.5 MD, depending on where he falls on the creditor list. With few exceptions, liquidated assets are paid out to those are owed the most first...
It is my understanding that claims against a bankruptcy estate are (by law) prioritized by the type of claim. For example, a secured creditor would get paid before an unsecured creditor. Mr Wagner would be in the same class of claims as any other account holder with an unpaid balance. If there is insufficient money to pay the class of claims that includes the account holders, they would all be paid on a pro-rata basis with the remaining money.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
It is my understanding that claims against a bankruptcy estate are (by law) prioritized by the type of claim. For example, a secured creditor would get paid before an unsecured creditor. Mr Wagner would be in the same class of claims as any other account holder with an unpaid balance. If there is insufficient money to pay the class of claims that includes the account holders, they would all be paid on a pro-rata basis with the remaining money.
Thanks for sharing....I learned a few new things!

Wagner's company believes there could be in excess of $11 MD in illegal tax withholdings from the ND ADW, and the state had proof of claim of over $6 MD, which I would think included Wagner's money. If these figures are relatively accurate, I'm betting that Wagner gets all his money back.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: