Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
delayjf

CA Universal Healthcare

lawmakers are pushing for Universal Healthcare for the entire state of CA. I enthusiastically support CA's move to single payer healthcare - the sooner the state collapses the better.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...426-story.html
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
lawmakers are pushing for Universal Healthcare for the entire state of CA. I enthusiastically support CA's move to single payer healthcare - the sooner the state collapses the better.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...426-story.html
The sooner it collapses the sooner people will figure out CA is on the wrong path and not be tempted to mimic any if its short term successes.

The problem is we are ALL likely to pick up the tab in a federal bailout.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
chadk66

awesome, what do we have to do to promote this
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
_______
Veteran

Canada's enourmously popular single payer national health system started with one province, Saskatchewan.

It's success there led to other provinces adopting similar laws and eventually, the national government.

Similar legislation already passed the California legislature but was vetoed by then Governor Schwarzenegger. I would be surprised if this has legs now absent Congress rolling back Obamacare without a reasonable replacement.

If that happens though, you might see California move forward. Then you will in a few years have a laboratory to test everyone's theories about the dangers of a government run health system.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Then you will in a few years have a laboratory to test everyone's theories about the dangers of a government run health system.
Been there, done that. It's called the VA. Heard any positive stories about that government run healthcare system lately?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Been there, done that. It's called the VA. Heard any positive stories about that government run healthcare system lately?
People seem fond of Medicare. Granted, it's a payor, not a system (i.e., a network of providers).

As for the VA, I don't even know why it exists. I believe vets deserves the best care available. So why not provide them with Medicare benefits? One could argue the VA docs/nurses specialize in dealing with vets' issues. Perhaps there's some merit to that point, but there's an easy solution: absorb some of the VA medical staff into the existing private hospital system or large doctors' practices (give the hospitals/docs a subsidy to do so) -- probably cheaper than running the entire VA and it would most likely result in much better care.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
Canada's enourmously popular single payer national health system started with one province, Saskatchewan.

It's success there led to other provinces adopting similar laws and eventually, the national government.

Similar legislation already passed the California legislature but was vetoed by then Governor Schwarzenegger. I would be surprised if this has legs now absent Congress rolling back Obamacare without a reasonable replacement.

If that happens though, you might see California move forward. Then you will in a few years have a laboratory to test everyone's theories about the dangers of a government run health system.
If only it was enormously popular in Canada. I have relatives in Sask and they hate it. And I have many friends up there (had a cabin in sask. for years) and they don't have much good to say about it. Damn expensive. Also my sister is an NP in oncology. Treats a couple hundred Canadians a year in Minneapolis. If it was so good she wouldn't be doing that.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
People seem fond of Medicare. Granted, it's a payor, not a system (i.e., a network of providers).

As for the VA, I don't even know why it exists. I believe vets deserves the best care available. So why not provide them with Medicare benefits? One could argue the VA docs/nurses specialize in dealing with vets' issues. Perhaps there's some merit to that point, but there's an easy solution: absorb some of the VA medical staff into the existing private hospital system or large doctors' practices (give the hospitals/docs a subsidy to do so) -- probably cheaper than running the entire VA and it would most likely result in much better care.
that's what is happening.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
If only it was enormously popular in Canada. I have relatives in Sask and they hate it. And I have many friends up there (had a cabin in sask. for years) and they don't have much good to say about it. Damn expensive. Also my sister is an NP in oncology. Treats a couple hundred Canadians a year in Minneapolis. If it was so good she wouldn't be doing that.

https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/...c-health-care/

Your relatives and friends are a minority in their own country.

And anyone from Canada complaining about the expense of health care to an American should be laughed out of the room by their American friend. The Canadian system has many problems. But being more expensive than their southern neighbor's isn't one of them.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #10
Greyfox

Quote:
Damn expensive. .
Absolutely not true!

Canadians pay monthly Health Care premiums which are quite low in comparison to the U.S.A.
Federal and Provincial Governments provide coverage.
Insurance companies are not involved.
Canadians however pay higher taxes than Americans on most goods and services.

http://blog.taxresource.ca/tax-rates...alth-premiums/

By the way, the man who started the Canadian Medical Coverage was Tommy Douglas of Saskatchewan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Douglas

He was Kiefer Sutherland's maternal grand-father!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiefer_Sutherland
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #11
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Absolutely not true!

Canadians pay monthly Health Care premiums which are quite low in comparison to the U.S.A.
Federal and Provincial Governments provide coverage.
Insurance companies are not involved.
Canadians however pay higher taxes than Americans on most goods and services.

http://blog.taxresource.ca/tax-rates...alth-premiums/

By the way, the man who started the Canadian Medical Coverage was Tommy Douglas of Saskatchewan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Douglas

He was Kiefer Sutherland's maternal grand-father!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiefer_Sutherland
but what you don't realize is their provincial and national tax rates exploded after they launched their healthcare. what you see/hear/read regarding their system is mostly a fantasy. fake news if you will. So how is it my sister treats all those canadians a year . But your entitled to believe what you want
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
johnhannibalsmith

As ultra-long underscore alluded, this is the sort of thing everyone should like to see. Decentralized policy making on major issues that offers insight into one of the realistically viable (if not popular) routes for a national system to adopt. Let the people that overwhelmingly support such a system beta test it and see if it is worth buying into. Conservative principles (once upon a time) at work in a liberal application. When they say single payor across the land you are supposed to tell them to hold up a second, but when they come wanting to do it the right way, you shake their hand and thank them for playing by the good set of rules.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
that's what is happening.
But only on a small scale. I'd like to see the entire VA provider network shutdown, then put the resources into the existing healthcare infrastructure. I think vets would receive much better/quicker care under such a structure.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
But only on a small scale. I'd like to see the entire VA provider network shutdown, then put the resources into the existing healthcare infrastructure. I think vets would receive much better/quicker care under such a structure.
absolutely.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
Greyfox

Quote:
but what you don't realize is their provincial and national tax rates exploded after they launched their healthcare. what you see/hear/read regarding their system is mostly a fantasy. fake news if you will. So how is it my sister treats all those canadians a year . But your entitled to believe what you want
Canada has a population of 36 million people.
All , each and every one, are covered by Universal Health Care.
Your sister treats a couple of hundred?
That's not a very impressive argument.
If elective patients don't want to wait for something like hip surgery, or other elective procedures, they can become "Health Tourists" and pay through the nose privately for quicker service in other countries.
Obviously urgent and emergent cases get treated immediately, or as soon as possible.
As ________ pointed out, the vast majority of Canadians are quite happy with the Canadian Health Care plan.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply