Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-27-2017, 11:32 PM   #76
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
Racinos have been a boon to owners, trainers, jocks, and especially vets. Purses have never been higher.

On the other hand, the fan base is dwindling rapidly. Why? Well, for one thing, most racetracks are not some place you would take your friends or a date. And racetrack management doesn't seem to believe that cultivating new fans with a great live racing experience is worth the trouble. I still remember the days when racetracks were packed on the weekends...and when they used to saddle the horses at Saratoga right out in the open. When tracks had restaurants overlooking the action open every racing day. I am really, really old I guess. Now most tracks are ghost towns. And with few customers, there are less amenities, the facilities are way too big and fall into disrepair. Going to the racetrack used to be an event...now not so much. And nobody is falling in love with this game watching races on their laptop.

Racing is not a big deal in the US. And we are saturated with gambling, and almost all of it appeals more to young folks than horse racing. And horse racing's presence on non targeted media is less and less each year. How many races are on broadcast tv? How many tracks have replay shows? How many newspapers carry entries, selections and results?

Enjoy it while you can. We are at the tail end of the lifespan of this sport, and if it is still going on 50 years from now it will be in a very, very different form than today.
Racing isn't going to die. Boxing hasn't died, and that has its medical detractors the same as racing has PETA. Racing will contract. There are still 20,000 foals born a year. They'll race somewhere. I've put the number at 22 tracks. Just a guess. Things will change slowly but change always seems like a good thing when the alternative is demise. Sooner or later someone will get it, and when they do they'll grab the business that there is to grab.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 02:14 AM   #77
TBD

Prestige is what is lacking in horse racing today. Many of the owners and prior owners I talked with this year had concerns that the sport is has lost its luster. If there are no owners, no need for breeders. No breeders, no horses. To me the worst is yet to come.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:19 AM   #78
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Racing isn't going to die. Boxing hasn't died, and that has its medical detractors the same as racing has PETA. Racing will contract. There are still 20,000 foals born a year. They'll race somewhere. I've put the number at 22 tracks. Just a guess. Things will change slowly but change always seems like a good thing when the alternative is demise. Sooner or later someone will get it, and when they do they'll grab the business that there is to grab.
No...racing won't die. It will hang around...just as harness racing and boxing have. But, for those of us with long memories...it won't be a pleasant sight.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #79
Viruss

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor View Post
It is not so much a misguided industry as it is a legal issue. Encouraging people to gamble tends to validate an argument that money was lost because of that encouragement. Same reason that most websites concerned with horse racing in any form have that fine print at the bottom of the page that translates to "If you lose, don't come sniveling to us (or your attorney) because content is for entertainment purposes only." Same as the "past performance does not guaranty future return" on the mutuel fund ads. It is more a legal restraint than the stupidity and short-sightedness it seems to be.
"Encouraging people to gamble tends to validate an argument that money was lost because of that encouragement. "

The states advertise the Lottery almost every hour!!

Track management and the states the they reside in need to better advertise the game, they are the ones guaranteed the though taxes to make money.

Earl J
Viruss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #80
Andy Asaro

83% 5% & call on radio

17% 25% & HDTV

69 votes•6 hours left

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 05-29-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #81
GMB@BP

Todays last two at Santa Anita sure would help grow the sport. jeeesh, glad I was not there.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #82
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Todays last two at Santa Anita sure would help grow the sport. jeeesh, glad I was not there.
I bet the 10 with the 7. MISERY!
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #83
anotherCAfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
What a horrible way to end the day.
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply