Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
strapper

Should Fans Have a Say in HOTY?

There is a poll up right now on the Paulick Report about this. Right now 63% of the respondents say yes fans have a say in the outcome. In this day and age of social media and tv shows where fans call in or vote on the net I would say we should just fall in line with the rest of them. After all, if not for the fans, what would the Sport of Kings really be. I agree with this logic these days because the racing journalists are not what they used to be due to cutbacks at the newspapers, etc. Hardly any more racing beat writers out there (a crying shame but that's the way it is). What do you think?
strapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

They should just add another category to the People's Choice Awards.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

No. Create a new award is you want a people's award. This is an industry award.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Sugar Ron
Veteran

Davidowitz is voting based on the results of a fan poll on his website.

Great gesture, imo

Not surprisingly, Z apparently has a huge lead...
Sugar Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
toussaud

not no but hell no.

smarty would have beaten out ghostzapper

z would have won the last 2 hoy awards and didn't deserve neither

barbaro would have won whatever year his was. no, i couldn't handle it.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
keithw84

The Kentucky Derby winner would have a huge advantage in most years. Actually, anything Derby-related would have a leg up in any fan-based award.

Take for instance Calvin Borel's win in the ESPYs. I'm not saying it was undeserved, but I'm sure it was based largely on his winning 3 out of 4 Derbys.
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Bruddah
Veteran

Are you crazy? Have you totally lost it? Let the little people, the everyday schmoe fan participate in this Sport? They are not worthy of anything but giving up their money at the windows. The Royals have declared that we peons Know Nutthhinnng!

Please don't get the Royals mad again. Just put your pesos in their pockets and go back to sleep! You don't know Nutthhinng about no stinkin' horses for the year award.

Last edited by Bruddah; 12-20-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Phantombridgejumpe

If you want to count all the people

as one vote - one out of more than 200 I think - I don't have an issue with that.
Phantombridgejumpe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

If fans were allowed to vote, I think it would become much more of a popularity contest than an overall ability contest. I don't want that.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Trotman
Veteran

No I think this should be voted on by the industry actual license holders who do the 14 hour days. The media such as Beyer and the likes should have no part of this, there contribution to the sport is just the flavour of the moment or month and IMO should have no bearing to the outcome of who gets Horse Of The Year.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Fat Syd
Journeyman

Fans don't vote for the academy awards, why should they vote for HOY? Although given some of the voters insane thoughts..........
Fat Syd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotman
No I think this should be voted on by the industry actual license holders who do the 14 hour days. The media such as Beyer and the likes should have no part of this, there contribution to the sport is just the flavour of the moment or month and IMO should have no bearing to the outcome of who gets Horse Of The Year.
Bad idea, too. Once again you end up with a popularity contest. And Andy Beyer is brilliant!
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
No I think this should be voted on by the industry actual license holders who do the 14 hour days. The media such as Hovdey/Davidowitz and the likes should have no part of this, there contribution to the sport is just the flavour of the moment or month and IMO should have no bearing to the outcome of who gets Horse Of The Year.
Just wanted to see how this would look with other names used.

(I pulled the first two names that came to mind, not with any agenda, unlike the original poster.)
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
Trotman
Veteran

Come on your all giving too much credit to and I won't mention any names, for "WHAT" I mean if you all want to put these people on a pedestal, fine but start thinking for yourself and move on your wallet will be better off once you rid yourself of their connected games. IMO all of them play all as their own personal video game, they don't care about you period.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The media such as Beyer and the likes should have no part of this, there contribution to the sport is just the flavour of the moment or month and IMO should have no bearing to the outcome of who gets Horse Of The Year.
You couldn't be more wrong. Because if you were right, then Beyer "and the likes" would all be big supporters of Zenyatta for HOTY...after all, she's not only the flavor of the month, she's been the flavor of the last 2-3 years.

So, as you can see, you are completely incorrect in your statement that I have quoted above.

Beyer "and the likes" serve a useful counter-balance to all the TRUE "flavor of the month" bandwagoneers.