Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-23-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
SG4

jockey suspensions

Anyone see the stewards rulings this week on the suspension for Abel Cedillo vs the lack of suspension for Irad?

Feb 18th, race 2 at SA, Cedillo is on the 7 who comes in slightly soon after the start, doesn't cause much trouble, corrects his mount before things get dangerously tight & after an inquiry no change is made in the results. For this he got 3 days.

Feb 18th race 7 at GP, Irad plows into the horse on his outside in the stretch in a move that looked bad, gets DQ'ed from the victory, but for this no suspension.

It's bad enough with consistency between races for stewards decisions, but to have one set of stewards set Cedillo down vs what gets you no days at GP is ridiculous. And for those who don't think it doesn't have consequences, Irad went right back to it in today's 6th race at GP. Maybe if he's sat down from last week he doesn't do this garbage again. Considering this was his 2nd infraction in a few days maybe they can actually step up with a real penalty this time, I'd think a week is justified.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 04:07 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Anyone see the stewards rulings this week on the suspension for Abel Cedillo vs the lack of suspension for Irad?

Feb 18th, race 2 at SA, Cedillo is on the 7 who comes in slightly soon after the start, doesn't cause much trouble, corrects his mount before things get dangerously tight & after an inquiry no change is made in the results. For this he got 3 days.

Feb 18th race 7 at GP, Irad plows into the horse on his outside in the stretch in a move that looked bad, gets DQ'ed from the victory, but for this no suspension.

It's bad enough with consistency between races for stewards decisions, but to have one set of stewards set Cedillo down vs what gets you no days at GP is ridiculous. And for those who don't think it doesn't have consequences, Irad went right back to it in today's 6th race at GP. Maybe if he's sat down from last week he doesn't do this garbage again. Considering this was his 2nd infraction in a few days maybe they can actually step up with a real penalty this time, I'd think a week is justified.
And Irad let off the hook despite just coming off a long suspension. And now, today, he gets DQed AGAIN.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
And Irad let off the hook despite just coming off a long suspension. And now, today, he gets DQed AGAIN.
Suspensions clearly don't deter him.

I don't pay attention to Gulfstream but will have to check these out.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
the little guy

Gotta agree with the OP. The one last week was bad. He fouled the horse once....and then went back to the left hand and did it again. Crazy not to get days for that. Today's was the same nonsense, blatantly going hard to his left hand, coming out, and fouling a horse making a move. Pretty unfortunate stuff.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 07:29 PM   #5
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post

I will preface my remarks by stating this....I do not condone bad actors. Nor do I condone unequal application of the rules of racing.
Now, I believe what we are seeing here is what is referred to as a 'star system'.
All sports have them.
It is what it is.
The blame rests squarely upon the shoulders of the officials and the respective governing bodies.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The stewards have to start doing their jobs at a lot of tracks. A lot of places are worried about whips and how that looks, how does using your horses as a blocking sled look?
Old 02-24-2022, 08:21 AM   #7
Bustin Stones

A person doesn't show a disregard for others' safety this often unless there is something different about their mental process. Suspending him has had little effect on his behavior. He knows his trade, he's brilliant at it, but there is something missing.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Repeat suspensions should be severe. 30-60-90 days then you are banned from riding at the track.

This jerk is a menace.
The real reason he punched Paco was copywrite infringment- stealing his schtick.

On the bright side, it has been a pleasure betting Aqu without this 3rd grader riding this winter. I wish they would ban him outright in NY.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #9
stlseeeek

irad is going to kill another jockey, what then, for stewards and irad? remorse, then? maybe a suspension, that will make him think about his riding?
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
classhandicapper

This is a serious question.

Where do we draw the line between acceptable race riding and race riding that deserves a suspension?

Can we float horses out a bit on the turn, box them in, not open the rail for a rallying horse if our own horse is tiring inside, not use the preferred whipping hand if it might cause the horse to drift towards rallying horses, not make it a little tight inside during a stretch battle, not try to drift in a little to get your competitor down on the dead rail…..

Obviously the cutoff is “danger”. But I doubt anyone is trying to cause danger. It’s an accidental byproduct of being aggressive and trying to win.

So do we remove it all or is there a line?

Is the line a specific action, how often you are aggressive, or both?

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-27-2022 at 09:56 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
shout1966

I saw this thread first and decided to watch this race and see what i thought. Watching the first time on pan view you can not see much so i waited for the head on and saw he obviously while whipping left handed bumped and herded the out to give himself a clear path , while watching it over and over i said why did he not go to the whip right handed and this is where it really gets interesting the rider on the was Jaramillo. The other horse who finishes 3rd was the ridden by none other then Jose Ortiz. Irad was never going to go right handed and herd his brother IMO which makes this more of a dangerous situation.
shout1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2022, 11:20 AM   #12
BELMONT 6-6-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Gotta agree with the OP. The one last week was bad. He fouled the horse once....and then went back to the left hand and did it again. Crazy not to get days for that. Today's was the same nonsense, blatantly going hard to his left hand, coming out, and fouling a horse making a move. Pretty unfortunate stuff.
I wonder what would have happened in years past if Irad attempted these tactics with Manny Ycaza or Eddie Arcaro
BELMONT 6-6-09 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2022, 04:54 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

On the subject of suspensions

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ve-suspensions

Quote:
The state said the rule will end a gaming of the system by some jockeys who have been able to delay their suspensions, say for a violation that occurred at Saratoga Race Course, to correspond with less lucrative meets at another track.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #14
classhandicapper

Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like a good idea to me.
It is, as long as they get rid of the stakes exemption too.