Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 01:04 AM   #1
vikingpower73

Trip Handicapping

Trip Handicapping by Dan Illman
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Dan Illman's Trip Handicapping DVD? If anybody has the DVD would it be possible I can purchase it or trade for it? I tried amazon and ebay with no luck and DRF does not sell it anymore.. Thanks in advance.
vikingpower73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2024, 09:16 AM   #2
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingpower73 View Post
Trip Handicapping by Dan Illman
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Dan Illman's Trip Handicapping DVD? If anybody has the DVD would it be possible I can purchase it or trade for it? I tried amazon and ebay with no luck and DRF does not sell it anymore.. Thanks in advance.
posting this in multiple forums is frowned upon ..especially by newbies

Since Illman is still writing...try contacting people at DRF

DVD's don't have a good life shelf...try find some books by anyone on the subject
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2024, 11:02 AM   #3
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga View Post
posting this in multiple forums is frowned upon ..especially by newbies

Since Illman is still writing...try contacting people at DRF

DVD's don't have a good life shelf...try find some books by anyone on the subject
You would think DRF would digitize and sell it over a stream. I'd like to watch it myself. I respect Dan's opinion. Something by Serling would be good too. I had the Beyer and Mellos trip videos on VHS many years ago (good stuff). They might still even be around someplace in an attic but the VHS media gets brittle after all of these years, probably would get chewed up right away if someone tries to play it.

Last edited by MJC922; 03-24-2024 at 11:09 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #4
classhandicapper

I have a copy of it somewhere, but I'm surprised you can't still get it via DRF. I'll send a note to Dan to see if it can still be ordered. If not I'll look around for my copy of it.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:55 PM   #5
classhandicapper

DRF is not selling it anymore.

Contact Dan privately on Twitter @DRF_DanIllman and he said he should be able to get you a copy.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:52 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
You would think DRF would digitize and sell it over a stream. I'd like to watch it myself. I respect Dan's opinion. Something by Serling would be good too. I had the Beyer and Mellos trip videos on VHS many years ago (good stuff). They might still even be around someplace in an attic but the VHS media gets brittle after all of these years, probably would get chewed up right away if someone tries to play it.
Serling:

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 12:18 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

He's gotten a lot more attractive since his modest trips n traps days w/ Eric Donovan. 😍

Haha.

Also, = Saw Illman on a Laurel broadcast the other day. Thought that was cool. Illman's Twitter feed represents Maryland Racing, but it is a treat, to see him directly broadcast a card, and if that which he so wishes to participate w/ = very cool 😎.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:35 AM   #8
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Only 2 videos on that channel.....went all out to "Learn"
Saratoga is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 08:08 AM   #9
CheckMark

Quote:
Hey CJ,

I saw on their website a while back that they were suppose to have you and Steve Byk do an episode.

Sucks that they didn’t go through with it. Would have been very informative for a lot of people here to see how you handicap a race using TFUS (including myself )
Old 03-25-2024, 11:42 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Hey CJ,

I saw on their website a while back that they were suppose to have you and Steve Byk do an episode.

Sucks that they didn’t go through with it. Would have been very informative for a lot of people here to see how you handicap a race using TFUS (including myself )
Steve and I both did one and they were posted, but I don't know what happened to them.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 06:31 PM   #11
MJC922

Quote:

Good video, thx. I had watched that once before and just now watched it again, it's good stuff, I was thinking more of a video though specific to trip handicapping standalone and when he really likes a horse almost strictly based upon a trip even if that's say only a couple of times per month these days I think presenting some events where that's the decisive reason might make for a good compilation. This video was more of the all-encompassing demonstration of handicapping a race and understandably I think coming up with some interesting stats that might be worked into the on-camera show is maybe more a necessary part of the process than it might otherwise would be.

Last edited by MJC922; 03-25-2024 at 06:32 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 09:20 PM   #12
denniswilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I was thinking more of a video though specific to trip handicapping standalone and when he really likes a horse almost strictly based upon a trip even if that's say only a couple of times per month these days I think presenting some events where that's the decisive reason might make for a good compilation.
Would there be cases like this for him? Seems to me, he's often stressed that there are no trips in slow races. So it's hard to believe he'd bet on trip alone. What I've observed on the show most recently, and it's not only from him, is identifying those horses that stand out in terms of race flow. The only one to stick around in a speed duel, etc. Very interesting stuff.
denniswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2024, 11:07 PM   #13
the little guy

Trips are about everything that happened in a race, not necessarily trouble. Being against a race flow is a "trip" or even the opposite being a good one. Generally, I think more people are more cognizant of these things than they were a decade ago. Certainly not all races are won because of how they were run, but some are, and more so on the grass.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2024, 09:21 PM   #14
CheckMark

Quote:
Steve and I both did one and they were posted, but I don't know what happened to them.
Dang that’s too bad that they are not up on that channel.

Would love to see yours and Steve’s work!
Old 03-27-2024, 05:45 PM   #15
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Trips are about everything that happened in a race, not necessarily trouble. Being against a race flow is a "trip" or even the opposite being a good one. Generally, I think more people are more cognizant of these things than they were a decade ago. Certainly not all races are won because of how they were run, but some are, and more so on the grass.
Not to go off topic, but in the video linked above you mentioned someone you knew who left an impression when it came to the money management side of the game. Is that person still around? I was just wondering if the person was ever interviewed and/or authored anything along those lines.