Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-11-2023, 09:15 PM   #16
Cutter14

He's been given many too chances to clean up his act---are they waiting for him to kill someone---feel sorry for him but enough is enough
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2023, 12:02 AM   #17
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Embarrassing to let this guy keep riding. What would happen to a NASCAR driver that showed up for a race drunk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Great analogy………they disappear.

Nascar pretty much has a zero tolerance on substance abuse, it seems there are no second chances, no amount of lawyers has beaten them yet.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2023, 10:17 AM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

life can be hard sometimes.

Most of us feel like if we were a successful jockey, that we wouldn't self-medicate or abuse substances.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #19
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
life can be hard sometimes.

Most of us feel like if we were a successful jockey, that we wouldn't self-medicate or abuse substances.
I've always thought a justifiable fear factor more enters the mindset of riders, even successful swaggering ones, than they admit. Race riding no question provides a thrill, a particular sort of thrill that no person my size could ever, I'm sure, even dream of. But it also is dangerous. Extremely dangerous. Jocks know this. And in lots of cases, it DOES play on their minds.

I'm sure the risk factors into turbulent lifestyles and sometimes poor choices. Maybe that's why I rarely buy into human-profile features, sometimes preceding prominent races, that paint pictures of calmness and bliss, as if the featured jock were some money manager or corporate executive, serene, composed, and nurturing away from work.

The wealth, trappings, and loving family can all be in place, but in these cases, daddy can die the next day. And WILL sometime fall, in traffic, from a speeding 1,000 lb beast. It's inevitable.

So I salute any race rider who can set that aside, not self-medicate or act out, and maintain good semblance of a normal existence. It can't always be easy.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2023, 09:19 PM   #20
Cutter14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I've always thought a justifiable fear factor more enters the mindset of riders, even successful swaggering ones, than they admit. Race riding no question provides a thrill, a particular sort of thrill that no person my size could ever, I'm sure, even dream of. But it also is dangerous. Extremely dangerous. Jocks know this. And in lots of cases, it DOES play on their minds.

I'm sure the risk factors into turbulent lifestyles and sometimes poor choices. Maybe that's why I rarely buy into human-profile features, sometimes preceding prominent races, that paint pictures of calmness and bliss, as if the featured jock were some money manager or corporate executive, serene, composed, and nurturing away from work.

The wealth, trappings, and loving family can all be in place, but in these cases, daddy can die the next day. And WILL sometime fall, in traffic, from a speeding 1,000 lb beast. It's inevitable.

So I salute any race rider who can set that aside, not self-medicate or act out, and maintain good semblance of a normal existence. It can't always be easy.
I agree with what you said 100% but a lot of people are in a profession and may never come home e.g. police/fireman to name a few---I'm just sick and tired of giving him numerous chances and he is still fucking up--I wish him well but he doesn't belong on a race track--are they waiting for him to kill a horse or fellow riders--I know in baseball 3 strikes and you're out--what is the excuse here
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2023, 10:12 AM   #21
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter14 View Post
I agree with what you said 100% but a lot of people are in a profession and may never come home e.g. police/fireman to name a few---I'm just sick and tired of giving him numerous chances and he is still fucking up--I wish him well but he doesn't belong on a race track--are they waiting for him to kill a horse or fellow riders--I know in baseball 3 strikes and you're out--what is the excuse here
I get it. Completely. And in his instance don't disagree. It's just that I've always admired jocks that manage to make peace with the looming danger while maintaining a normal "nuclear" family existence.

For the most part, though, they don't do the pipe and slippers thing while Fido fetches the paper.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

Thank you for a closer perspective.
Old 06-17-2023, 10:28 PM   #23
stlseeeek

you can only hope he cares to ride the day you bet him.

i've watched him give horrendous rides, and he didnt even seem to care

very dangerous betting on kent, is he clean, is he sober?
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2023, 10:10 AM   #24
azeri98

He's riding really well on turf right now.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply