Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #6331
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
boxcar brought up the subject of "desire."
And?
Old 11-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #6332
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Quit projecting. You're the mind-numbed robot around here.
Do you know who Pavlov was?

Salivate much?

Last edited by hcap; 11-23-2020 at 03:08 PM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #6333
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Do you know who Pavlov was?
Better yet...do you know any of his pooches by name?

Quote:
Salivate much?
Only at the thought of my thanksgiving feast.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #6334
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
And?
So let's consider Ted's desires and where they came from!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #6335
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
The name doesn't ring any bells.
I take it that back in the 1990s you did not follow the news!

By that I mean the news about this world, not the theoretical next one.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #6336
TJDave

Quote:
So let's consider Ted's desires and where they came from!
Repressed sexuality.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #6337
boxcar

Quote:
I take it that back in the 1990s you did not follow the news!

By that I mean the news about this world, not the theoretical next one.
I take it that you're bored stiff. Why don't you see if Hcap will share his face diaper with you so that you two can snuggle?
Old 11-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #6338
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Repressed sexuality.
Hardly. Read this! It's the same link I sent to boxcar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Kaczynski

Kaczynski (IQ = 167) was admitted to Harvard and began his studies there at age 16.

Quote:
As a sophomore, Kaczynski participated in a study described by author Alston Chase as a "purposely brutalizing psychological experiment" led by Harvard psychologist Henry Murray. Subjects were told they would be debating personal philosophy with a fellow student, and were asked to write essays detailing their personal beliefs and aspirations. The essays were turned over to an anonymous attorney, who in a later session would confront and belittle the subject – making "vehement, sweeping, and personally abusive" attacks – using the content of the essays as ammunition, while electrodes monitored the subject's physiological reactions. These encounters were filmed, and subjects' expressions of anger and rage were later played back to them repeatedly. The experiment lasted three years, with someone verbally abusing and humiliating Kaczynski each week. Kaczynski spent 200 hours as part of the study.

Some sources have suggested that Murray's experiments were part of Project MKUltra, the Central Intelligence Agency's research into mind control.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #6339
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I take it that you're bored stiff.
Straw man! Quit trying to change the subject.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #6340
boxcar

Quote:
Straw man! Quit trying to change the subject.
Just because you broach a subject with me doesn't mean I'm interested.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:19 AM   #6341
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Just because you broach a subject with me doesn't mean I'm interested.
You broached the subject, viz., desires and where they come from. Kaczynski is an excellent example of the source of desires.

Are you not interested in subjects you broach?
Old 11-26-2020, 02:18 AM   #6342
Actor
Librocubicularist

I could post this story on the humor thread but since it has a religious element I'm posting it here.

These events took place just after my 16th birthday. My parents decided to make the trip from Oklahoma to Idaho to visit my mother's brother. After several days travel we arrived at his farm about noon. My cousin, who was a few years older than me, was going to Twin Falls for a night on the town and they decided that I should go with him. So the two of us get in his car and off we go. He made a couple of stops to pick up his friends and then we headed for downtown Twin Falls, Idaho. He parked the car and the whole gang walked down the street. They went into a bar.

Now at this time I was still quite religious. I had been taught that Christians do not go to bars. I was certain that if I went into that bar I would be committing a mortal sin. I informed my cousin of this. He said "OK" and in they all went leaving me outside.

This was in July, and while I'm sure that it was hot back in Oklahoma, it was near freezing in Twin Falls. I had not brought a winter coat. I went back to the car but it was locked. I froze for three hours. I thought of trying to phone someone but I had no change for a phone. I tried flagging down a police car but they just waved back.

My cousin and his pals finally came out of the bar and I was finally back in the car and out of the cold. They were still drinking bear while driving around. They repeatedly tried to throw the empties out the window but of course the windows were rolled up. He finally took his pals home.

Now comes the next fun part. He announced that he was too drunk to drive and I would have to get us home.

Recall that I had just turned 16. I had a restricted Oklahoma driver's license. I could drive but the license required that there be a licensed driver in the front seat of the car, not passed out drunk in the back. I began mentally rehearsing a sob story to tell the cop that I figured was sure to stop us. I got lost. I had one hell of a time waking him up so he could give me directions.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #6343
boxcar

Quote:
You broached the subject, viz., desires and where they come from. Kaczynski is an excellent example of the source of desires.

Are you not interested in subjects you broach?
That was a long time ago. You gotta strike while the iron's hot. Now, I'm too busy to enter into any long discussions, especially with you.

But meanwhile, Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #6344
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
That was a long time ago.
Not really that long ago! You had your chance to "strike while the iron is hot" but you preferred to exchange ad hominem attacks with hcap. By the way, such attacks are in violation of this site's terms of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terms of Service
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
But no matter. I don't have to address all my comments to you. I can address my comments to a much wider audience.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #6345
Actor
Librocubicularist

The Bible

boxcar has made the claim that the Bible was written over a period of centuries by a great many authors. This is false. The Old Testament was written in Babylon in the 6th century B.C.E. over a period of about 50 years by a small group of authors.

In particular the creation story of Genesis is Babylonian. Adam and Eve never existed. Biologists tell us that it takes 1000 reproducing couples for a species to have enough genetic diversity to survive, ergo, we are not the progeny of just one reproducing couple. The Eden story is fiction.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: