Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 PM   #16
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd
$3.00 horses dont excite me
They might not be exciting but a win is a win. Like mentioned in the thread on favorites......some are good some are terrible. You have 2 choices with a horse like Bill gave out. Either bet it and take a small winning or just pass the race.
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #17
nobeyerspls

More than two choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBookJoe
They might not be exciting but a win is a win. Like mentioned in the thread on favorites......some are good some are terrible. You have 2 choices with a horse like Bill gave out. Either bet it and take a small winning or just pass the race.
You could also use this horse as a single in pick 3's. The first leg winner was 2-1 followed by a long shot leading to a $236 pick. Using 2 horses in the 1st leg and then the all button and this horse is an $18 ticket. Assuming that the payout shown is for $2, your $1 ticket gets you $118, turning this 1-2 play into a 7-1 shot. Of course if you also singled the first leg, the return is doubled. If you like to roll the picks as I do then the next race gives you half of $252. I don't play River Downs but the leverage afforded with horizontal plays works everywhere.
nobeyerspls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
njcurveball

Well the man went to bat here and got his lock home with a $3 mutuel.

If anyone thinks that is easy, posts here are free.

Congrats Bill, you have gained my respect!

As I said before,

NO Good Post here goes Unpunished!
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #19
Light
Veteran

I often ponder which way is the best route to profits. If you look at my Vcash,I have doubled it from its original bankroll. 100%roi. However,this is basically from nailing 1 longshot in maybe 20 races or so. On the other hand,you could have a guy like BO who will sit and wait for a sure bet at even money,and could bet it all and have the same ROI as me when his Walmart pick(not to be undersold),comes romping home at even money. He now has as much dough as me and alot less nerve damage from betting only 1 race as opposed to my 20 races. However,I think my advantage is that my entire bankroll does not have to be risked on 1 race where as his does to reach the same ROI.Also if he misses one race while risking his entire bankroll,he will have a serious time recouping. Its like a baseball player at bat. He gets one strike and he's out. I get 20 strikes and I'm out.

Last edited by Light; 08-22-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #20
john del riccio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I often ponder which way is the best route to profits. If you look at my Vcash,I have doubled it from its original bankroll. 100%roi. However,this is basically from nailing 1 longshot in maybe 20 races or so. On the other hand,you could have a guy like BO who will sit and wait for a sure bet at even money,and could bet it all and have the same ROI as me when his Walmart pick(not to be undersold),comes romping home at even money. He now has as much dough as me and alot less nerve damage from betting only 1 race as opposed to my 20 races. However,I think my advantage is that my entire bankroll does not have to be risked on 1 race where as his does to reach the same ROI.Also if he misses one race while risking his entire bankroll,he will have a serious time recouping. Its like a baseball player at bat. He gets one strike and he's out. I get 20 strikes and I'm out.
with your approach, a rebate makes you much more ahead of the game.

john
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #21
Good4Now

Good thread!

The decisions we must make everyday. Glad to see so many contributed.
Good4Now is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #22
Bill Olmsted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
When did I ever say that I "risk my entire bankroll"? I never risk more than a couple of percentage points. Only a fool would risk too much of his stake

And for the record, I DON"T only BET FAVORITES. Ask any of my clients about the $18.40 winner we had last week that was shipping from CT to LRL and the other boxcars I put over. I just don't post them here.

It's all about value. It doesn't matter if the horse is 20-1 or 1-5. If the odds are greater than the risk, then it's a good bet.

B
Bill Olmsted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #23
DanG
Easy Goer

Bottom line IMHO…

The man has the balls to post picks and then walk the gang plank in gambling circles by calling them…”A Lock”.

When he cashes he even offers to buy his fellow gamblers a beer. These men are in short supply in my experience.

Salute!!!

~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #24
Bill Olmsted

I'll drink to THAT, my good man!

Take care, Dan
U B OK
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #25
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Olmsted
When did I ever say that I "risk my entire bankroll"? I never risk more than a couple of percentage points. Only a fool would risk too much of his stake
My example of a chalk player having to risk his entire bankroll betting chalk to achieve an ROI similar to a longshot player was to illustrate the superior betting strategy of the longshot player over the chalk eater. You got people applauding $3 and $4 horses.Most players realize its wiser to pass these races than to bet them because it would require an impossible hit rate to profit from them.In my entire career as a horseplayer,its always been the bombs that saved me,never the chalk. Every contest,be it on this board or in Vegas has been won by betting the longshots.I dont know how you bet in real life,but I wouldn't know that you bet anything other than chalk by what you have bet here in the selections section.Your locks are cute,but thats about it for me.Not knocking you as a person,so keep your perspective.Am in alot of agreement with you in other areas.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #26
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG

Even voluminous amounts of beer can't help some:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HiuCaaQhxg

PS to Light: Remember, double space after a period and after a comma. (I was the only guy in my high school typing class)

Last edited by bigmack; 08-22-2007 at 05:16 PM.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
LOL…

No, straight to the ’80 proof for them!
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #28
Bill Olmsted

Get Dowwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #29
jma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack

PS to Light: Remember, double space after a period and after a comma. (I was the only guy in my high school typing class)
I'm an editor, so I can't help but let you know...the double space thing, not really true anymore unless you're typing an old-school letter on white paper or something. Single spaces are standard. Sorry---couldn't help myself!

Good job Bill.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #30
Light
Veteran

BM

With the prices BO is getting,I dont think he can afford a 6 pac.