Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #46
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

It's Chess Time!

What a joke.

I have tried to introduce a new idea into this Forum.

God help me.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #47
Actor
Librocubicularist

In the James Bond movie From Russia With Love there is a chess match early in rhe movie. The SPECTRE villain Kronstein makes a move and says "check." While the opponent ponders his move someone brings Kronstein a glass of water. As he drinks we see a message on a paper on the bottom of the glass "You are wanted at once." The opponent makes his move, Kronstein makes his, the opponent resigns.

There are two things wrong with the scene.

1. In world class tournament play players do not say "check." Players are assumed to know when they are in check.

2. No one would be allowed to bring a player a drink with a message on the bottom. Advice from seconds could be transmitted to a player in this manner.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #48
Boomer

Check out Queens Gambit on Netflix. Very good
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #49
ElKabong

Life of a King.

Cuba gooding jr. Based on a true story. Excellent acting all around
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #50
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Analyses of the games on this show are showing up on You Tube. I started to watch one before realizing it was the last game of the show. I'm only up to episode 6 so I quickly clicked out of it.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:00 AM   #51
kingfin66
Bombardier

I saw this thread and wondered, what happened to Buckeye. I would say that I miss him, but I prefer to be honest.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:06 AM   #52
fast4522

He pissed off PA, and got toasted.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2020, 02:51 AM   #53
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Great chess player or not, in the end Fisher turned out to be a pretty despicable guy
I think he was a High Functioning Autistic. Probably had Asperger's Syndrome.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #54
ElKabong

We have an Asperger's kid in one of our classes. Highly talented at chess but has a tough time relating to, or conversing, with other kids.

I feel sorry for him, he's in for a life of emotional pain. He can't maintain a relationship outside his parents. Very logical and intelligent- yet unable to connect with kids

It's odd, some of our kids are mini me's of people I've worked with in professional settings. Has given me a more broad understanding of the human condition so to speak. Most folks are very normal, some have real issues that, as I have learned, will never be normally functioning human beings regardless of the support they may rec'v. Very sad. VERY sad.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:01 AM   #55
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
We have an Asperger's kid in one of our classes. Highly talented at chess but has a tough time relating to, or conversing, with other kids.

I feel sorry for him, he's in for a life of emotional pain. He can't maintain a relationship outside his parents. Very logical and intelligent- yet unable to connect with kids
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

Quote:
Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger's, is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), but differs from other ASDs by relatively unimpaired language and intelligence. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and unusual use of language are common. Signs usually begin before two years of age and typically last for a person's entire life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autistic_Pride_Day

Last edited by Actor; 11-28-2020 at 04:04 AM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #56
Dahoss2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Yes it is
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #57
RichieP

Play Magnus App

I started playing a bit about 4 months ago after prolly a 35 year layoff. I really loved the game and was a decent tourney player. A friend told me about this app "play Magnus" so I went and downloaded it. Been playing and I have beaten him at age 9 and 10 but I'm 0 for like 7 playing him at age 11. My goal is to beat him but crap I have a ton of work to do! I am consistently outplayed in the opening and that's the good part!

Wishing everyone a healthy and Blessed holiday season!
Old 11-28-2020, 07:35 PM   #58
ElKabong

Thanks for telling me something I already knew...
Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #59
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post

Warmest respect for what you and your wife are doing. But how does MY son ("Little Bear") manage to attend your chess classes?? lol....

Seriously, the asperger's mind is a beautiful thing, linear and direct. But if you should ever be so unfortunate as to choose your own hell, take ANY door but the one labeled "friendless child." Trust me.

Pertaining to chess: I play a good game proceeding basically on talent. But exceptional opponents invariably beat me. When I get time, I do intend to learn, really learn, about chess.

Shane is 25, stands 6'2, and weighs in at 240, btw.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-28-2020 at 09:41 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #60
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Warmest respect for what you and your wife are doing. But how does MY son ("Little Bear") manage to attend your chess classes?? lol....

Seriously, the asperger's mind is a beautiful thing, linear and direct. But if you should ever be so unfortunate as to choose your own hell, take ANY door but the one labeled "friendless child." Trust me.

Pertaining to chess: I play a good game proceeding basically on talent. But exceptional opponents invariably beat me. When I get time, I do intend to learn, really learn, about chess.

Shane is 25, stands 6'2, and weighs in at 240, btw.
If your son is fit & that big, plz remind me not to anger him... That's a big boy

JMO, online classes are a rip off. Nothing takes the place of over the board instruction

A better alternative for those who already know how to move pieces is to go to lichess.org, learn by diving into puzzles. They aren't as strong as ours (we use Think Like A King software) but they're very good. Also you'll find some master level players there that will humble you. Some do, me. But like tennis, when you play better players it raises your game if the desire is there

Notate your games, see where you won / or lost. Lichess notates for you

In our classes we sometimes replay games from books we have. The greatest 500 games, etc. We go over mistakes, winning moves etc.

But the best chess players from our classes that went on to be highly competitive absolutely dived into puzzles, and were never afraid to lose games to lower level players in class. It was practice. They learned more than 2 openings. Some studied harder than I'd like. Chess to me is like playing a musical instrument. Do it for pleasure and recreation, something you can enjoy until the day you die. Our classes are fun and educational, one without the other & our business model goes down the drain (coronavirus did that already tho)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: