Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #91
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Bergman ties Nastassja Kinski for my "hottest woman in history" award.

And a better film does not exist.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2020, 01:03 AM   #92
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I recently saw Rollerball (1975) again. I am surprised how many futuristic things they got correct.

I went to a movie theater yesterday the first time in 9-10 months and saw Tenet. It was difficult to follow and similar to Inception. It was an AMC in Washington state and now Insley has 'allowed' them to open. This theater is now Friday-Sunday and I got the first show yesterday and only 2 of us watching this showing.
For some reason, I thought you were in Texas (Denton?). I am also in Washington. Do people refer to the state of Washington as Washington state? Is that to distinguish from D.C.?
Old 11-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #93
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
For some reason, I thought you were in Texas (Denton?). I am also in Washington. Do people refer to the state of Washington as Washington state? Is that to distinguish from D.C.?
I do. I also spend a few months a year in Minnesota. Once you get east of the Mississippi River, many/most people that hear Washington think of nation's capital.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #94
Actor
Librocubicularist

Thumbs down

The Current War

It's about Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla. Executive producer was Martin Scorsese. I don't think it had a theatrical release.

I just could not identify with any of the characters. Not well written, poorly paced, poor structure.

Different strokes for different folks of course. You might like it. But I don't recommend it.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #95
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Bergman ties Nastassja Kinski for my "hottest woman in history" award.
Elizabeth Taylor

Brigitte Bardot

Quote:
And a better film does not exist.
Lawrence of Arabia

2001: a Space Odyssey

Barry Lyndon

Psycho

The Searchers

Seven Samurai
Old 05-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #96
davew

Medina Spirits win draws more audience than the Oscars this year

https://deadline.com/2021/05/kentuck...rt-1234749718/
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #97
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
The Current War

It's about Thomas Edison, George Westinghouse and Nikola Tesla. Executive producer was Martin Scorsese. I don't think it had a theatrical release.

:
Sounds like a very interesting premise
Old 05-05-2021, 10:53 AM   #98
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestridge View Post
"Black Like Me" with James Whitmore
EXCELLENT movie...Whitmore was a fantastic actor
Old 05-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #99
mountainman

Quote:
Elizabeth Taylor

Brigitte Bardot

Lawrence of Arabia

2001: a Space Odyssey

Barry Lyndon

Psycho

The Searchers

Seven Samurai
Barry Lyndon straight up ROCKS. A+ for the haunting visuals (nonetheless panned by most critics), reportedly the effect of candle-light and gauze.

I find The Searchers very much overrated. Likewise The Shootist. When I want some Wayne, I dial up The Cowboys (quintessential Dern), or The Quiet Man, in my opinion his best.

Big props for interjecting BB. And, btw, which Liz are we talking about- the coquettish A Place in the Sun version? Or the Butterfield 8 bad girl?? Major difference.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2021, 01:02 AM   #100
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And, btw, which Liz are we talking about- the coquettish A Place in the Sun version? Or the Butterfield 8 bad girl??
The two Liz's I would choose from are Liz the sex goddess and Liz the actress. For the sex goddess you may as well go with Cleopatra and have done with it. As for the actress I'm talking about National Velvet, Giant, Raintree County, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Suddenly Last Summer and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Old 05-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #101
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I find The Searchers very much overrated.
I can see that, although I would use the word "flawed" instead of "overrated."
Old 05-06-2021, 01:28 AM   #102
Actor
Librocubicularist

I don't intend to hijack this thread but this seems a good place to point out a movie that's on Netflix right now. It's Olympus Has Fallen which is about a terrorist attack on the White House starring Gerald Butler as a secret service agent. Don't bother watching it. It's basically Die Hard without Bruce Willis. Rent Die Hard instead.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:45 AM   #103
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I don't intend to hijack this thread but this seems a good place to point out a movie that's on Netflix right now. It's Olympus Has Fallen which is about a terrorist attack on the White House starring Gerald Butler as a secret service agent. Don't bother watching it. It's basically Die Hard without Bruce Willis. Rent Die Hard instead.
I made it about 45 minutes and bailed
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #104
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Barry Lyndon straight up ROCKS. A+ for the haunting visuals (nonetheless panned by most critics), reportedly the effect of candle-light and gauze.

I find The Searchers very much overrated. Likewise The Shootist. When I want some Wayne, I dial up The Cowboys (quintessential Dern), or The Quiet Man, in my opinion his best.

Big props for interjecting BB. And, btw, which Liz are we talking about- the coquettish A Place in the Sun version? Or the Butterfield 8 bad girl?? Major difference.
Some of the old Westerns, like The Searchers haven't aged very well. You almost have to put yourself in mindset of being back in the 50's with the special effects available and often stage acting that was popular even on feature films. Tom Bosley, the Dad on Happy Days explained one time, how he had to lose the over expressive facial expressions and gestures when he transitioned from the stage to film and TV. Not many Westerns that I haven't liked, but Wayne's character in Searchers is a bit over the top in my opinion. And I like him in most of his films.
The fight scene with John Wayne and Bruce Dern in the Cowboys is classic.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #105
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Wayne in the Searchers was brilliant I thought. I think he was pushing the limits a little but it was “real acting” for him. I don’t think he got to do a lot of that in his career. In Stage Coach I think he “acted” but the part was kind of crummy. The writing for him was lacking.

His final film, with Jimmy Stewart as the Doctor telling him he has cancer and how terrible his suffering is going to be is another spot where I think he “acted”.

Btw, I’ve read that Stewart and Wayne started out that scene very solemn, because Wayne really was dying of cancer. But after several retakes they almost couldn’t finish without laughing.....weird
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply