Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I need to find a solution for allowing my elderly parents to watch NYRA from 12-5 ish and then the ability to easily flick on a channel, to watch any upcoming race.

I figured RTN might be the best option or the TVG channel.

I need the minimum amount of intervention possible as they can barely go up and down channel surfing.

Any ideas?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Yes I do for this month, and it has great potential. I love the hd feeds of Tampa Bay and Gulfstream as well as feeds of all tracks. At times it does buffer which is an indication of not enough server capacity or download speed on my part. I have plenty of internet speed and connect wired, not wireless so I think it is an issue with them. Yesterday I was watching a race, and it buffered as they turned for home, which was maddening. LOL

Jim

This is exactly why I go to the track 110 times a year and watch on my TV at home when I'm not at the track.

I HATE BUFFERING, it's a deal breaker
Old 12-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
JimG

TVG does show NYRA but other tracks as well during that time frame. If it is on your parents cable or satellite, that would be the easiest option for them. Roku NYRA channel would be second easiest and RTN probably most difficult for them.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #19
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
So, just for shits and giggles, I set up the ROKU that NYRA gave me.

Got through it relatively quickly. Then...

Couldn't find the NYRA channel. 30 minutes of wasted life later, went to NYRA rewards, googled etc. Found nothing useful.

Went to "my account" in NYRA Rewards, copied and pasted the "ROKU LINKING CODE", USELESS.

I am absolutely convinced that NYRA removed the TV access, so that they can close Telebet, have handle drop BIG TIME and then say:

Aqueduct needs to close, we just can't be profitable with it open and running live racing.

Dirty politicians and NYRA crooks sell AQU to the highest developer and many get tons of cash in their pockets.

Ala Roosevelt Raceway and almost like other well known tracks that are worth more as pieces of "low income housing" "condo" etc.

If a 40 year old with relevantly decent tech savy (Overall I am a tech idiot but I am above others my age) can't figure out, there is no way the average older person will.

Still disgusted and repulsed.

Now with that said, can anyone direct me into how I can add this channel to my Roku? What is the secret to adding the channel? I looked to see if I could delete and recreate my linking code, not possible.

I checked all of PA's threads, googled it, checked tons of pages, nothing helpful.
I agree.Genting wants a hotel ,Cuomo wants a hotel, as soon as it's assured live table games
Happen goodbye to the Big A.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #20
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
TVG does show NYRA but other tracks as well during that time frame. If it is on your parents cable or satellite, that would be the easiest option for them. Roku NYRA channel would be second easiest and RTN probably most difficult for them.

Jim
Jim, I finally got it set up, what a blanken ordeal. Much MUCH obliged and thank you very much.

So, sounds like my parents are screwed and my uncle in NYC. (No TVG, Roku seems to be too many clicks for them, RTN, you say is harder)

This industry is THE DUMBEST industry I have ever seen.

Average of clientele is 100 years old and they take away the easiest option. TV channel.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest
I agree.Genting wants a hotel ,Cuomo wants a hotel, as soon as it's assured live table games
Happen goodbye to the Big A.
It only 2 takes 2 brain cells to see what the crooks are up to. In the off chance that is not the case, then, they are purely stupid.

Sadly, most people are blinded and refuse to see it.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #22
JimG

Quote:
Jim, I finally got it set up, what a blanken ordeal. Much MUCH obliged and thank you very much.

So, sounds like my parents are screwed and my uncle in NYC. (No TVG, Roku seems to be too many clicks for them, RTN, you say is harder)

This industry is THE DUMBEST industry I have ever seen.

Average of clientele is 100 years old and they take away the easiest option. TV channel.
Glad you got it set up. Maybe over time you can set it up for your parents as well. Wish mine were still around to set it up for...anyway, I digress, you have a great holiday.

Jim
Old 12-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #23
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Glad you got it set up. Maybe over time you can set it up for your parents as well. Wish mine were still around to set it up for...anyway, I digress, you have a great holiday.

Jim
We're in mourning and forcing ourselves to move ahead. I deeply sympathize Jim....

I'm sorry to have added to any feelings of sadness with my stupid situation.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #24
JimG

Quote:
We're in mourning and forcing ourselves to move ahead. I deeply sympathize Jim....

I'm sorry to have added to any feelings of sadness with my stupid situation.
If I were you, I would check out RTN on Roku for a month to see what you think. It is the future...just not quite ready for prime time, in my opinion. I do enjoy watching some jai alai on there. LOL
Old 12-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #25
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
If I were you, I would check out RTN on Roku for a month to see what you think. It is the future...just not quite ready for prime time, in my opinion. I do enjoy watching some jai alai on there. LOL
I have RTN for replays for my laptop.

Do I need to get the "RTN" Channel?
Old 12-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #26
JimG

Quote:
I have RTN for replays for my laptop.

Do I need to get the "RTN" Channel?
Yes. It is a private channel just like the NYRA channel. Same steps as above, except instead of putting NYRA, put rtntvbeta You have to be subscribed to live feeds to watch. Unfortunately, they do not yet have the replays on the roku app. When using the rtn app for the first time...go here www.rtn.tv/rokulink to link your account.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 12-25-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:12 PM   #27
titans1127
Harness racing Fan

The RTN app is good but still pretty buggy. The month that I used it I found that the longer I watched a single track, going back to switch to something else would cause the app and the Roku to completely freeze, warranting a pull of the power to reboot it.
titans1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 01:33 PM   #28
garyoz

If you're getting access to a private network like NYRA or RTN, don't forget to unplug and restart your ROKU player when you are setting it up. It will need to load the new software, or the channel won't appear. You can't find private channels through the standard search option and need to follow the instructions provided by the content provider.

As an aside, I have no problems with the NYRA Roku channel. I think that it is one of the major benefits of a NYRA Bets account. It doesn't buffer, but it runs about a minute or so behind the feed from the web site. Be careful about being shut out...(has happened to me)

Last edited by garyoz; 12-25-2016 at 01:36 PM.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #29
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyoz
If you're getting access to a private network like NYRA or RTN, don't forget to unplug and restart your ROKU player when you are setting it up. It will need to load the new software, or the channel won't appear. You can't find private channels through the standard search option and need to follow the instructions provided by the content provider.

As an aside, I have no problems with the NYRA Roku channel. I think that it is one of the major benefits of a NYRA Bets account. It doesn't buffer, but it runs about a minute or so behind the feed from the web site. Be careful about being shut out...(has happened to me)
Good to hear, except for the last part (1 minute behind). What good is that if you're checking live exactas, odds etc? Nevermind getting shut out.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #30
titans1127
Harness racing Fan

The RTN app is a good 60 seconds behind plus whatever the normal delay is for the streams you get from your ADW or TVG. Its terrible from a wagering standpoint.
titans1127 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: