Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 307 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #26161
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
And as always you're record is broken, playing the same ol' tune.
And you are not?
Old 08-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #26162
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I can think of something better. Boxcar is met by St. Peter and banished to the fires of hell...and on the way catches a glimpse of Hcap and SMTW...who are basking in the sunlight of heaven.
Met by Woden at the gates of Valhalla and asked "Why didn't you die with a sword in your hand?"
Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #26163
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor
Yes, I do. Why? I would rather hear boxcar's answer to my question first.
What was that question, Actor?
Old 08-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #26164
boxcar

Quote:
And you are not?
No...I'm far more creative than you are.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #26165
boxcar

Quote:
I think more like this one, since the Israelites crossed the Jordan going east. A few of the tribes actually settled in that area.

http://www.biblestudy.org/maps/divis...large-map.html
Old 08-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #26166
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I so wish I could be there when Boxcar finally passes from this world (hopefully, a LONG LONG time from now), looks around and mutters aloud "WTF!?"

At this point in time, it's far more likely that your wish for me will find its fulfillment in you!
Old 08-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #26167
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
The only thing that would be better is if God said, I created this incredible process called evolution, something only God could think of to manage the continuation of species and you completely missed the point. Then God slaps him on the back of the head.
Well..if the God of evolution was such a cosmic genius why was this mental giant at a loss to find adequate words to tell mankind that he created the universe in numerous stages over a gazillion ages? He was either stupid or worse yet... an outright liar to deceive man into believing not only in creationism but that man was a very special creation created specifically in his image. In either case, I would want nothing to do with such a god, for he would too closely resemble us very flawed smooth-skinned apes -- so much so in fact, I would have to believe this god was a product of our overworked imagination.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #26168
traynor

Quote:
Well..if the God of evolution was such a cosmic genius why was this mental giant at a loss to find adequate words to tell mankind that he created the universe in numerous stages over a gazillion ages? He was either stupid or worse yet... an outright liar to deceive man into believing not only in creationism but that man was a very special creation created specifically in his image. In either case, I would want nothing to do with such a god, for he would too closely resemble us very flawed smooth-skinned apes -- so much so in fact, I would have to believe this god was a product of our overworked imagination.
I once had a professor in a religion class (who had spent much of his life obsessively searching for such) emphatically and repeatedly state that not one shred of real evidence existed as a basis for Christianity other than the writings of those "very flawed smooth-skinned apes," all of whom may have had their own agendas, motivations, flawed understanding, flawed and highly subjective perceptions, and generally unreliable grasp (and understanding) of reality.

Specifically, other than the writings of those "very flawed smooth-skinned apes," what is the foundation of your beliefs based on? The question is not meant to be argumentative, nor demeaning in any way. I am a very curious person by nature, and I have no dog in this fight.

I am skeptical of accepting the writing of those who lived many years ago as other than precisely what it is--things that some dead guys who lived many years ago wrote while they were still alive, which may or may not be true, accurate, reliable, or anything more than (possibly) creative fiction or writings motivated by self-serving bias.

Again, other than the writings of those "very flawed smooth-skinned apes," is there any shred of real proof? That is, proof that would be acceptable to someone who was NOT already a true believer, and/or who had completely suspended any critical thinking skills?

I am not interested in debating religion. I am only interested in the existence of some tangible proof that there is--in fact--a basis for the rather complex and convoluted belief system of Christianity.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #26169
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
I once had a professor in a religion class (who had spent much of his life obsessively searching for such) emphatically and repeatedly state that not one shred of real evidence existed as a basis for Christianity other than the writings of those "very flawed smooth-skinned apes," all of whom may have had their own agendas, motivations, flawed understanding, flawed and highly subjective perceptions, and generally unreliable grasp (and understanding) of reality.

Specifically, other than the writings of those "very flawed smooth-skinned apes," what is the foundation of your beliefs based on? The question is not meant to be argumentative, nor demeaning in any way. I am a very curious person by nature, and I have no dog in this fight.

I am skeptical of accepting the writing of those who lived many years ago as other than precisely what it is--things that some dead guys who lived many years ago wrote while they were still alive, which may or may not be true, accurate, reliable, or anything more than (possibly) creative fiction or writings motivated by self-serving bias.

Again, other than the writings of those "very flawed smooth-skinned apes," is there any shred of real proof? That is, proof that would be acceptable to someone who was NOT already a true believer, and/or who had completely suspended any critical thinking skills?

I am not interested in debating religion. I am only interested in the existence of some tangible proof that there is--in fact--a basis for the rather complex and convoluted belief system of Christianity.
That's why I tend to gravitate towards the religions of the East...where the general advice usually is to "disbelieve what you are told unless it rings true according to your own direct experience".

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #26170
boxcar

Quote:

Since you want me throw out scripture, I can't tell you my 10 reasons for believing the bible.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #26171
Greyfox

Quote:
I am a very curious person by nature, and I have no dog in this fight.

But your mention of a Professor's claim brings "a dog to this fight."
Yet you didn't state the Professor's reasons for disbelieving in Christianity, other than he had spent years obsessively researching the various issues.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #26172
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
What was that question, Actor?
Old 08-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #26173
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
No...I'm far more creative than you are.
I seriously doubt that.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #26174
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I think more like this one, since the Israelites crossed the Jordan going east.
Whoa. Where do you get that? I distinctly recall seeing a map in Sunday School (Methodist) showing them crossing going west. You can't both be right.

Not that I care. Just curious.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM   #26175
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I think more like this one, since the Israelites crossed the Jordan going east. A few of the tribes actually settled in that area.

http://www.biblestudy.org/maps/divis...large-map.html
That's still a small area whose eastern boundary is far from the Euphrates River.