Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #8731
boxcar

And, Mr. Lightfoot, you have no reply for 8726 in which I quoted Jn 14:21? Did a cat catch your tongue and eat it?
Old 07-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #8732
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
You either love the one and only true God or you hate Him and invent religions of your own.
Not true. Many religions existed before Christianity. Hinduism is the oldest religion. 5000 years before Christ. There was of of course Judiasm before Christianity and Buddhism was 500 years before Christianity. So what did you want all these people who felt a want to worship God to do back then? Wait for Christ? They'd be dead by the time he came. So it doesn't mean they hate Jesus or Christianity. They had their own path as people do today.

Quote:
And are you suggesting that the Jews who delivered Jesus up to the Romans to crucify him did that out of their love for him!? Have you gone stark raving mad!?
I was talking about our time not 2000 years ago. Of course back then Jesus was a revolutionary but today no one hates him that I hear of.

Quote:
Jesus said the world would hate him just like the Jews did!
Yes back then, not today.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 08:09 PM   #8733
Light
Veteran

Quote:
And, Mr. Lightfoot, you have no reply for 8726 in which I quoted Jn 14:21? Did a cat catch your tongue and eat it?
I answered it in 8728.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 09:46 PM   #8734
boxcar

QUOTE=Light;2816068]Not true. Many religions existed before Christianity. Hinduism is the oldest religion. 5000 years before Christ. There was of of course Judiasm before Christianity and Buddhism was 500 years before Christianity. So what did you want all these people who felt a want to worship God to do back then? Wait for Christ? They'd be dead by the time he came. So it doesn't mean they hate Jesus or Christianity. They had their own path as people do today. [/quote]

Don't forget: That at the judgment of mankind at the Tower of Babel, God set aside the nations temporarily because he wanted to call but one Nation to himself. And He did just that through Abraham. You might recall that that nation was called Israel.

W created the religion of Judaism? You said once that God isn't religious. Remember saying that? And then I asked you if was Jesus religious, and you never answered.

All the Old Testament saints were like Abraham: They believed God and He reckoned their faith unto them as righteousness. And in believing God, they believed in the many promises of a coming Redeemer who would save men from their sins. So...the OT saints looked forward to the coming of the Messiah; whereas on this side of the Cross, the NT saints look back to the fulfilled promises of the Messiah, most especially his death, burial and resurrection, and they also look forward to the consummation of this age when all things will be restored, including our dead bodies, which all happens at the Second Coming.

Quote:
I was talking about our time not 2000 years ago. Of course back then Jesus was a revolutionary but today no one hates him that I hear of.
Everyone who doesn't love God and keep his commandments hates Him and his Son.

Yes back then, not today.[/QUOTE]

You put on a limit on it, but Jesus didn't. In fact, do you know that I Jesus' high priestly prayer to his Father shortly before he went to the Cross that he distinctly omitted the world from his prayer. He prayed specifically for the disciples contemporary with him AND for all those who would come to believe on Him both through their preaching and the preaching of future generations. In other words, he prayed strictly for the Father's elect. He prayed for all those who presently believed in hm and who could come to believe on him after he died and rose again. Don't you find it a wee bit curious that your "best friend" didn't pray for the world that hated him? Jesus is supposed to love all unconditionally and indiscriminately, right?

But please save me from the drivel that I know is already in your mind. No need to remind me about Jesus's prayer on the Cross for the [many] Jews who crucified him. The Father began answering that prayer at Pentecost when thousands repented of their sins and believed on him. Very many of these were the ones who cried out previously: "Crucify Him, crucify Him!" But it was only the elect in this group who eventually repented and came to their senses.

And you should get in touch with Church History. The most persecuted people on this earth, throughout all these centuries, have been Christians, and we're still hated to this day! Jesus told his disciples, and by extension all future generations of disciples, that they would be hated by the world because the world hated him first. And it still does. The world, like YOU, hates the exclusive claims of Jesus, as but one example. They hate his claims to being the Great I AM. They hate his claim to be equal with the Father. They hate his preaching on hell. They hate his claim that He's the only way to the Father. The world hates his claim to having all authority on Heaven and Earth, given to him by the Father. They hate his claim that one day he will return from heaven to judge the entire world,, etc., etc. And YOU do, too! And mostly, they HATE his testimony that the worlds' deeds are evil! And you are no different from this hell-bound world!

John 15:18
18"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
NIV

And this truth is even taught in the OT long before Christ came:

Ps 2:1-3
Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?
2 The kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
against the LORD
and against his Anointed One.
3 "Let us break their chains," they say,
"and throw off their fetters."

NIV

Do you know who the Lord's "Anointed One" is? In v. 3 it speaks of THEIR chains and THEIR fetters. So...tell me, who is the Lord and his Anointed One?

And then we have the grand doctrine of Reconciliation taught in the NT. Do you really think that that doctrine only applied to first century Jews? This doctrine applies to the end of this age because mankind comes into this world with hostility in their dark hearts toward their Creator. In fact, this doctrine is illustrated immediately after the Fall of Adam and Eve in Genesis 3, for God reconciled Eve to Himself by decreeing that enmity would exist between her and the serpent (Satan). By God explicitly decreeing that enmity, He implied that he graciously removed the enmity between the woman and Himself which she caused when she sinned against Him. It's impossible for a person to be enemies with Good (God) and Evil (the devil) at the same time. One either loves one and hates the other.

Jesus declared that all men ARE evil. Not just the Jews. All men, throughout all ages, come into this world with a sinful nature. It's in man's nature to hate God and His Anointed One. And this hatred can be expressed in a multitude of ways.

So, no, you skirted the real issue in 8726 in which I quoted Jn 14:21. After all, we know the world does not keep Jesus' commandments. And Jesus clearly taught in this text that only the ones who keep his commands are those who love him. This implies that the world does NOT love Christ.

Further, Jesus went on to say that only those who love Him will be loved by the Father and Himself. Therefore, the haters of God and his Anointed One are in turn hated by God! And this is precisely why Jesus didn't pray for the world at large in John 17. He only prayed for the Father's elect.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:44 AM   #8735
boxcar

Well, a glorious new day has arrived. Praise the Lord! So, Top of the Morn to Ya, Mr. Light-headed.

On this new day, I have a new passage to share with you. But before we get to that, let's review what your "best friend" has told us, thus far, about God's love. In John 10 he tells us:

John 10:17-18
17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life — only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."
NIV

So, Jesus told his disciples that the Father loves Him becuause he's obeys Him. He clearly qualified his Father's love for him by revealing the condition under which the Father loved him, i.e. Jesus' obedience.

Then in John 14, your "best friend" had this to say about love:

John 14:21: 23,24
21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
24 He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
NIV

Here Jesus again was crystal clear. Both the Father and the Son restrict the scope of their love to only people who love and obey Jesus. Not only that, but Jesus said that whoever does not love Him will not obey his teaching. And this describes the world to a T! The world doesn't love Jesus; for if it it did all mankind would be Christ's disciples and obey him -- and mankind would not find Jesus' commands burdensome either. But this clearly isn't the case, is it?

Now, we arrive to the passage of the day. You'll "love" this one (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek) because it taks about friendship. Now, we all know you think Jesus is YOUR "best friend", but did you know that Jesus, too, his friends. And he tells us exactly who his friends are. Ready?

John 15:12-16
12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends IF you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit — fruit that will last.
NIV

Wow! What an awesome passage, right? Lots of takeaways from this passage! First, Jesus laid down his life for his friends. Again, this harmonizes nicely with what Jesus said in John 17 when he specifically omitted the world (who is anything but friends of Jesus!) from his prayer.

The second takeaway is that Jesus restricts his friendship to only those who listen to him and obey him. So, again the world at large is excluded. Only the Father's elect in this world are Jesus' friends.

The third thing we learn is that once again Jesus makes certain that we understand that his teaching is not his own but his Father's!

And the next thing we learn is that Jesus sovereignly chooses who his friends will be. And this makes perfectly good sense because if man were left on his own, he would never choose Jesus to be his friend! Man's heart is hostile towards God and His Christ (cf. Psalm 2 again). So, Jesus chooses those whose hearts he will renew through the new birth by the Holy Spirit, and will be made fit so that these previous haters of God will now walk side by side with their Lord and Savior in intimate love and friendship.

Wow! What a gloriously happy story with a Happy Ending! This story is called the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which means Good News.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #8736
Actor
Librocubicularist

A New Religion

There's a You Tube video about a religion that worships a motorcycle. Said motorcycle was involved in an accident and wound up in a ditch. Authorities retrieved it but it disappeared. It was found back in the same ditch. This religious group somehow got possession of it and now worship it, apparently believing that its return to the ditch was a resurrection.

I realize that it's quite likely that the You Tube poster put this up as a joke. On the other hand...
Old 07-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #8737
Actor
Librocubicularist

I can't resist. In a few years we'll have a Gospel According to Honda.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:02 AM   #8738
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I can't resist. In a few years we'll have a Gospel According to Honda.
Are you off your meds again?
Old 07-10-2022, 08:11 AM   #8739
boxcar

Good Morning, Light-n-Loafers. I have more good stuff to share from your "best friend" -- you know...the guy you never can believe.

Jesus said this to his disciples:

John 16:27-28
27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father."
NIV

It appears that God had a reason for loving the disciples, too...just as he had a reason for loving Jesus. One would think that if God loves everyone unconditionally that Jesus would have said something along these lines: "The Father himself loves you because that's what he does".

Btw, have you ever figured out yet where Jesus is physically hanging out these days?
Old 07-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #8740
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Are you off your meds again?
Didn't read #8736 did you, otherwise you'd get the joke.

Didn't you say (in so many words) you don't believe in meds?
Old 07-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #8741
boxcar

Quote:
Didn't read #8736 did you, otherwise you'd get the joke.
A "joke", you say? In that case, then, you need to beg, borrow, steal or hijack a sense of humor.

Quote:
Didn't you say (in so many words) you don't believe in meds?
For me, I don't.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:44 PM   #8742
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
For me, I don't.
How about blood transfusions? Or radiation therapy for cancer?

Last edited by Actor; 07-10-2022 at 12:45 PM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #8743
boxcar

Quote:
How about blood transfusions? Or radiation therapy for cancer?
How 'bout you give it a break, already?
Old 07-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #8744
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
How 'bout you give it a break, already?
Vital, need-to-know information. Are you a Jehovah Witness?

And if you want to give it a break you go right ahead. I won't stop you. Meanwhile, I'm having too much fun.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #8745
boxcar

Quote:
Vital, need-to-know information. Are you a Jehovah Witness?

And if you want to give it a break you go right ahead. I won't stop you. [b]Meanwhile, I'm having too much fun[/ib].
Entertainment comes easy to the simple-minded whether it comes from without or within.