Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #31
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
The idea of a populist who unites the left and right anti-establishment wings of each party isn't an idea I would entirely dismiss as a future prospect. But Trump isn't that candidate that accomplishes it.

It's a sign of how desperate his prospects as a candidate are that it is seriously discussed among his supporters. Regardless of any economic outreach he makes to Bernie supporters, he remains deeply stained by his poisonous rhetoric toward minorities and women.

And while you might easily explain why those statements are unimportant to those on the right, they aren't so easily forgiven on the left.
That's because those of them on the left are stupid. Smart women and smart minorities are able to think deeper than worrying about Trump insulting Rosie O'Donnell or thinking tightening the borders is somehow racist.

You can't worry yourself too much with what stupid people think. You can't fix stupid.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 07-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #32
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
... Attorney General/Chief of Staff (Christie).

Yeah what a great choice for a "true conservative". A guy that can't wait to enforce federal statutes that have been unenforced in deference to state laws that were created directly by citizens by virtue of referendum. If anything screams conservative it is that guy. If he's a good fit for a "real conservative" maybe we can just get Holder back if it doesn't work out? More big government everywhere, please.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #33
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Yeah what a great choice for a "true conservative". A guy that can't wait to enforce federal statutes that have been unenforced in deference to state laws that were created directly by citizens by virtue of referendum. If anything screams conservative it is that guy. If he's a good fit for a "real conservative" maybe we can just get Holder back if it doesn't work out? More big government everywhere, please.
You quoted me which specifically included the reference to Christie... no? Then you put 'true conservative' in quotes... no?

Did you think I was referring to Christie as being a "true conservative"?

The one I referred to as being a true conservative was Jeff Sessions. Maybe he isn't a true conservative in your eyes, I do not know. I think Sessions is, much more conservative than both Christie and Newt for that matter, imo.

Were you referring to Sessions or Christie?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #34
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i just saw 5 Hillary Clinton adds here on cable, i was watching Hallmark network and then saw them on Me TV.

but this is the very first presidential adds that i have seen since Bush-Dukakis. i have yet to see a Trump add yet, but he probably doesn't need that many of them to win this election.
If she's running ads in Massachusetts, to me this means she is NOT picking Warren as her VP.Just a way to prepare and appease the faithful with the future bad news
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #35
zico20

Fox news this morning said that Senator Joni Ernst from Iowa is on Trumps short list. Now I like her a lot. Maybe she could be the one to help conservatives get on board the Trump bandwagon.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #36
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Fox news this morning said that Senator Joni Ernst from Iowa is on Trumps short list. Now I like her a lot. Maybe she could be the one to help conservatives get on board the Trump bandwagon.
If that happens, all men will be closing their legs when "The Hog Castrator" hits town.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #37
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
If she's running ads in Massachusetts, to me this means she is NOT picking Warren as her VP.Just a way to prepare and appease the faithful with the future bad news
Ads in non-competitive states are directed at voters in other more competitive states in the same media market.

In this case, New Hampshire.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #38
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless

Were you referring to Sessions or Christie?
Actually busting chops on Trump. I know how much you support him and go all-out with the flourishes when it comes to American hero conservatives, so was just having a little fun that the only thing close to conservative in the equation was Sessions and he's stuck being VP while Trump gets to be President and Christie either his main adviser or main policeman. It was stuck in there for a light jab without turning it into a long post but I see where I blew it by making it confusing without any setup.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #39
Racetrack Playa
regular user

I heard the Trumper picked a VP(Don Trump Jr.) months ago, wondering if that was bunk information.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #40
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racetrack Playa
I heard the Trumper picked a VP(Don Trump Jr.) months ago, wondering if that was bunk information.
It is bunk. To get the feminist vote, his daughter Ivanka will be his VP.

She is already gearing up for it.

Quote:
The presumptive Republican nominee’s daughter, Ivanka, told the Sunday Times of London that her father’s support of feminism is “a big reason I am the woman I am today.”

“My father is a feminist,” the executive vice president of Trump Organization said. “He always told me and showed me that I could do anything I set my mind to if I married vision and passion with work ethic. He’s surrounded me with strong female role models who have done just that since I was a little girl.”

Old 07-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #41
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
It is bunk. To get the feminist vote, his daughter Ivanka will be his VP.

She is already gearing up for it.
I think she'd probably be as good as most anyone at the actual job of doing whatever it is that VP does these days once debates are over.

Really, I think that's about the only way to even come up with a pick for him. Who is going to be able to go on television (radio, internet, whatever) and answer questions in defense of Trump's current positions (have to add the qualifier) and debate whichever clown is going to be forced to do the same for Clinton. In that sense, the VP pick could be pretty important and the only reason why if I really cared what Trump did or didn't do, that of the names floated regularly I think that either Christie or Newt is probably the ideal person. They both have their own problems for sure, but they are also by far the best at thinking on their feet in a question-answer/debate setting and shredding whoever is in need of shredding.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #42
Clocker

Ernst said no thanks, as did Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/06/ernst-corker-drop-out-of-veepstakes/
Old 07-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #43
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Ernst said no thanks, as did Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/06/ernst-corker-drop-out-of-veepstakes/
One thing I know from experience is that once the candidate has zeroed in on the choice, he (or she I suppose) will give the non-choices time to put out statements withdrawing themselves from consideration. This is a win-win for both sides. The lottery losers get to say they weren't rejected, they withdrew, and it gives them status. The candidate gets to show he is thoughtfully considering a range of running mates.

To paraphrase Don Corleone talking to Michael, it's the name under consideration that doesn't withdraw that will be the running mate. Which would make it Trump/Tessio
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 08:55 PM   #44
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
One thing I know from experience is that once the candidate has zeroed in on the choice, he (or she I suppose) will give the non-choices time to put out statements withdrawing themselves from consideration. This is a win-win for both sides. The lottery losers get to say they weren't rejected, they withdrew, and it gives them status. The candidate gets to show he is thoughtfully considering a range of running mates.

To paraphrase Don Corleone talking to Michael, it's the name under consideration that doesn't withdraw that will be the running mate. Which would make it Trump/Tessio
Does that make Chris Christie Clemenza?
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #45
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing
Does the runner-up get a free dinner at Louis' Restaurant in the Bronx?
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply