Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:25 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Gingrich would work, but probably be a break even pick.

I say he has to go hard right, or moderate left with serious gravitas.

Personally I think there still lots of Reagan Dems still out there.

They would vote for Jim Webb and Webb just might take it to get back at the way he was treated in the early days of the race
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.

Giuliani would be my choice, and he would help immensely with New York, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

[I don't think Giuliani would take it if offered though.]
Clinton has been holding a steady 20+ point lead in New York. Nobody who isn't delusional thinks Trump could win there.

Campaigns sometimes make noises about competing in states they have no intention to do so in order to draw their opponent into wasting resources. Anything you hear from Trump about New York falls into that category. Ditto Oregon and any other solid blue state.

The battle will be defending states that have recently leaned red but are at risk of turning blue. New York is so in the Clinton bag I doubt anyone there sees a TV ad from either campaign.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
... I doubt anyone there sees a TV ad from either campaign.
Finally a legit reason to want to live in NY.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #19
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Finally a legit reason to want to live in NY.
The airwaves will be polluted with plenty of political ads for local and state candidates. There is no escape.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #20
Clocker

Quote:
There is no escape.
I got rid of cable years ago and don't miss it. My TV viewing now is pretty much limited to PBS and DVDs. I have not seen a political ad yet this cycle.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #21
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
The airwaves will be polluted with plenty of political ads for local and state candidates. There is no escape.
I knew it was too good to be true!

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Wink

Trump needs a female VP to combat Hilary's "1st woman president!" stuff

also could use improved relations with Fox News...

Megyn Kelly for VP?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #23
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Newt is brilliant, but he has a lot of baggage and he's hated by the left. You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.
Few of the millions that voted for Obama/Biden knew very little of either. Newt's probably hated as you say by those on the left with much of a brain, and actually follow politicians historically. That's a small percentage. Don't know how well this theory would play out to GOP candidates with the situation flip-flopped. My hope would be many of Sander's supporters would find Trump/Newt more robust than a stale old hag like Hillary, and one that's obviously a crook and untrustworthy. My only fear on the other hand is that many republican voters, and knowing they're smarter than your average democrat, might not be so forgiving of some of Trump's missteps and not vote at all. I can't even imagine these though voting for a scumbag like Hillary. As I said, they're not that stupid, as Obama supporters were.

Last edited by Marshall Bennett; 07-03-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #24
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Few of the millions that voted for Obama/Biden knew very little of either. Newt's probably hated as you say by those on the left with much of a brain, and actually follow politicians historically. That's a small percentage. Don't know how well this theory would play out to GOP candidates with the situation flip-flopped. My hope would be many of Sander's supporters would find Trump/Newt more robust than a stale old hag like Hillary, and one that's obviously a crook and untrustworthy. My only fear on the other hand is that many republican voters, and knowing they're smarter than your average democrat, might not be so forgiving of some of Trump's missteps and not vote at all. I can't even imagine these though voting for a scumbag like Hillary. As I said, they're not that stupid, as Obama supporters were.
The idea of a populist who unites the left and right anti-establishment wings of each party isn't an idea I would entirely dismiss as a future prospect. But Trump isn't that candidate that accomplishes it.

It's a sign of how desperate his prospects as a candidate are that it is seriously discussed among his supporters. Regardless of any economic outreach he makes to Bernie supporters, he remains deeply stained by his poisonous rhetoric toward minorities and women.

And while you might easily explain why those statements are unimportant to those on the right, they aren't so easily forgiven on the left.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #25
Clocker

Quote:
You don't need two suitcases full of crap. One is enough.
I agree, one at the top of each ticket is enough.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #26
ArlJim78

I hope its someone not mentioned. Someone like Pence might help to unify the party. Someone like Webb might do that plus attract some of the saner elements from the other side. Need to look forward not back, which is what Gingrich represents.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Clinton has been holding a steady 20+ point lead in New York. Nobody who isn't delusional thinks Trump could win there.

Campaigns sometimes make noises about competing in states they have no intention to do so in order to draw their opponent into wasting resources. Anything you hear from Trump about New York falls into that category. Ditto Oregon and any other solid blue state.

The battle will be defending states that have recently leaned red but are at risk of turning blue. New York is so in the Clinton bag I doubt anyone there sees a TV ad from either campaiggn.
I live in Massachusetts and I haven't seen a Presedential election ad in years.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #28
woodtoo

VP

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #29
reckless
Veteran

Of those names often mentioned, I think Jeff Sessions makes the most sense.

As a true conservative and a Republican with testosterone, he won't put up with the silliness of the TV and print media. Even the GOP traitors in the House and Senate will go easy on him since Sessions can make them all look like the cowards and worms they truly are in a sentence or two.

Both Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie will be horrible choices for Trump. There are better jobs in the Trump Administration for them -- Chief of Staff (Newt) and Attorney General/Chief of Staff (Christie).

My first choice, and easily the best selection of them all has been and remains the great Texas governor Rick Perry. But, I don't think that will happen.

John Kasich, whom I personally dislike for a myriad of reasons, looks like the insider's pick from what I've read. He's an unlikeable worm and if he starts playing hard to get in public, similar to the dopey Paul Ryan, then I'd been very disappointed if Trump buys into that b-s and picks him. I will bet that he'll probably make a long, tiresome public speech saying Trump offered him the VP spot, but he's declining. That's the type of slug Kasich is and always will be.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #30
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
I live in Massachusetts and I haven't seen a Presedential election ad in years.
i just saw 5 Hillary Clinton adds here on cable, i was watching Hallmark network and then saw them on Me TV.

but this is the very first presidential adds that i have seen since Bush-Dukakis. i have yet to see a Trump add yet, but he probably doesn't need that many of them to win this election.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply