Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #151
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______

Pence has shown no interest in national office before this and although he represents the least worst choice for Trump you'd have to see him perform remarkably well over the next 4 months to displace Cruz as the favorite on the non-establishment track in 2020.
If Trump loses, the GOP will shift back toward establishment and Pence is pure establishment as far as I can see.

There's a long article at Politico titled 'Did Trump Just Make A Huge Mistake' that looks at Pence's political history.

Quote:
“He’s wanted to be president since he was 18,” a high-level Indiana Republican told me. Alums of former Gov. Mitch Daniels administration privately deride Pence as a pol without the vision or leadership of their former boss, and have long suspected Pence decamped from D.C. back to Indiana not because he wanted to run the state, but because he saw it as a quicker route to the White House.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #152
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
If Trump loses, the GOP will shift back toward establishment and Pence is pure establishment as far as I can see.

There's a long article at Politico titled 'Did Trump Just Make A Huge Mistake' that looks at Pence's political history.
Interesting. It's hard for me to see evangelicals abandoning Cruz for Pence. And while Pence may have had more ambition than I credited him with, I would still wager on an absolute pitbull like Cruz outmaneuvering him for that cohort and Paul Ryan having the inside track on establishment.

What is Pence going to be doing after November? He gave up the run for reelection to join Trump. He'll be out of office and off the radar for at least two years. He'll also have some baggage from his current flip flops and subsequent re-flips following the loss along with God knows what other nonsense Trump blurts out over the next 4 months he'll have to explain defending for the following 4 years.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #153
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
Interesting. It's hard for me to see evangelicals abandoning Cruz for Pence. And while Pence may have had more ambition than I credited him with, I would still wager on an absolute pitbull like Cruz outmaneuvering him for that cohort and Paul Ryan having the inside track on establishment.

What is Pence going to be doing after November
? He gave up the run for reelection to join Trump. He'll be out of office and off the radar for at least two years. He'll also have some baggage from his current flip flops and subsequent re-flips following the loss along with God knows what other nonsense Trump blurts out over the next 4 months he'll have to explain defending for the following 4 years.
The evangelicals abandoned Ted Cruz -- not for Mike Pence -- but for Donald Trump. Have you people forgotten the results of some of these GOP primaries already?

Cruz won the insignificant Iowa caucus by a small margin over Trump despite Cruz's strong evangelical support. And Cruz only won there because of political skulduggery, such as lying to evangelicals about Ben Carson ending his campaign.

Cruz later got swamped by Trump in South Carolina -- where evangelicals have a much stronger voice. Ted Cruz's career as a national politician is finished. Trump beat him at the ballot box and the every day citizen beat him today because Cruz has shown America that he's a weasel, an insider and dirty, lying phony.

Trump also creamed Cruz in the SEC primaries -- Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and again, South Carolina. This was supposed to be Cruz's sweet spot because of the strong evangelical presence and Trump had New York values.

Paul Ryan even has an outside chance of losing his seat in the GOP primary vs. Paul Nehlen next month. Nehlen has a tough road ahead, of course, but Ryan has proven to be a fool, a globalist, is pro-TPP and a simple two-bit liar. It would be beautiful if Nehlen does to Ryan what David Brat did to Eric Cantor a few years ago.

What's Pence going to do after the November election?

Mike Pence and the Missus are going to pick out towels, shower curtains, cookware and simply settle in when they take up residence in the Admiral's House on 34th Street and Mass Avenue where the US vice-presidents live.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 01:05 AM   #154
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
If Trump loses, the GOP will move back toward the establishment base, and the running mate would have a big head start on the rest of the field in 2020.
Losing vice presidential candidates usually go nowhere fast,FDR was the only one to ever get elected president and Walter Mondale, Bob Dole and the immortal Rufus King (2 time losing VP, who was defeated by James Monroe in1816) were the only other losing VP candidates to be nominated for President.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #155
classhandicapper

Quote:
I think they are better off being positioned exactly where Trump has them positioned, but with less divisive and insulting rhetoric.

They have to bring in the democrats among policemen, firemen, manufacturers, military etc... That will help offset some of the demographics until the immigrants start moving up the economic ladder and slowly inch to the right.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #156
letswastemoney

The issues Trump has brought up on trade and immigration will never go away, even if he loses.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #157
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I think they are better off being positioned exactly where Trump has them positioned, but with less divisive and insulting rhetoric.

They have to bring in the democrats among policemen, firemen, manufacturers, military etc... That will help offset some of the demographics until the immigrants start moving up the economic ladder and slowly inch to the right.
"Hispanics are natural born Republicans;they just don't know it yet"

Ronald Reagan
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #158
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
"Hispanics are natural born Republicans;they just don't know it yet"

Ronald Reagan
And they never will. Democrats have them brainwashed.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #159
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
And they never will. Democrats have them brainwashed.
They will, but it takes time. When my grandparents came off the boat from Sicily to Ellis island with other relatives, almost all of them were democrats (though in those days the democrats weren't anything like the democrats of today). If you look at my generation, they are way more conservative. If you look at the generation after me, it's more mixed again, but that's because they haven't overcome their college brainwashing and actually lived yet.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #160
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

Easier said than done. The Republicans already have the military, and probably most non union manufacturers, but police and firemen are like school teachers. They vote for democrats because democrats gave them the big pensions and top shelf health care. The democratic party, especially in individual northern states, and California, sold out the taxpayers, the working class, and the younger generations while essentially buying the lifetime votes of union and government-paid workers with unsustainable pensions and benefits.

It was all about staying in power. They never cared about the cost or the damage it did to the average person who works in the private sector.

Last edited by pandy; 07-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #161
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Easier said than done. The Republicans already have the military, and probably most non union manufacturers, but police and firemen are like school teachers. They vote for democrats because democrats gave them the big pensions and top shelf health care. The democratic party, especially in individual northern states, and California, sold out the taxpayers, the working class, and the younger generations while essentially buying the lifetime votes of union and government-paid workers with unsustainable pensions and benefits.

It was all about staying in power. They never cared about the cost or the damage it did to the average person who works in the private sector.
Hard to disagree with that.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM   #162
barn32
tmrpots

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm watching Pence's acceptance speech right now. Not bad, not bad at all.

He's a good speaker.

Good choice.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #163
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
The Republicans already have the military, and probably most non union manufacturers, but police and firemen are like school teachers. They vote for democrats because democrats gave them the big pensions and top shelf health care.
Police in particular are not happy with Democratic support for BLM and to accusations by the left of racism in police treatment of minorities. I'd guess a lot of police resentment carries over to fire fighters also.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #164
woodtoo

Just wait till they wheel out all the BLM victims at the convention.
I think a lot of law enforcement people will have their eyes opened.
As well they should.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #165
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Police in particular are not happy with Democratic support for BLM and to accusations by the left of racism in police treatment of minorities. I'd guess a lot of police resentment carries over to fire fighters also.

Then should not have shot the Handicapped worker with an attempt to shoot a handicapped person because he was playing with a toy train. Then after they shoot guy , they let him bleed out. Next day they say they shot the wrong guy. .... so then why was he handcuffed?

Nah, I think BLM will stay around for a long time.

BLM "for what it's worth" Buffalo Springfield
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply