Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #166
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Just to set the record straight, we did not owe the current Iranian government one damn cent. The money you are referring to was under a different regime. Once they overthrew the Shah, our obligations to them was over.
Not true. Most of those were released during the Algiers Accords...

Anywho...

How does that not make it disingenuous to say we gave Iran money when the discussion is revolving around the US National Deficit. They are so unrelated even bringing it up is laughable and a complete misdirection attempt.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #167
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Our infrastructure is shit, our military has to keep up so we don't get nuked, much less save the world, and The Wall would save Kate.

Where are you suggesting we cut?
I already said where we cut. Our military does not need anything more than the standard spending increases to say otherwise is silly. We face no conventional threats we can't easily handle. We do need infrastructure spending I agree but to say this administration is ANYTHING remotely close to revenue neutral is absurd.

That was my point. We don't really disagree but this plan is garbage if you fall into my demographic.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 12:24 PM   #168
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #169
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
To use your own word this statement is disingenuous at best. We didn't "give" Iran anything other than their own money back which we froze.

Secondly, the "Obama and democrats did it so why can't I" argument doesn't hold water with me.
The GOP's role in their share of the $20 trillion deficit doesn't hold water with me either, in the probable case you thought otherwise.

As for the Iran deal ... if it was just giving then their money back ... why was it done circumventing the Congress? Why did Obama need to pile tons of cash, currency, etc. on a barge and ship it to them in the middle of the night?

If all that was on the up and up, why didn't Obama just write Iran a check and then give a speech explaining this. Or he could have simply unfroze the money on the basis 'because it's Iran's money', as you say. All of Obama's supporters ... the America haters, Wall Street and the banks, plus the compromised and stupid GOP senators, all would have been on board, no?

But yet, this dangerous Iran nuclear deal would have had way more difficulty getting done without Bob Corker! It is he you can thank for this illegal Iran deal getting done.

Corker's 'no' vote early Saturday morning on the Tax bill is just another example of someone who does not care for America nor America's success, either on the world stage or on the economic front.

Corker voting against this Senate Tax bill on the grounds of it is 'adding' to the deficit is simply a joke. Corker voted no solely to stick it to Trump. He could care less about working people and tax payers.

Last edited by reckless; 12-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #170
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yours is Bigger than Ours!

Quote:
I was just handed a 479-page tax bill a few hours before the vote. One page literally has hand scribbled policy changes on it that can’t be read. This is Washington, D.C. at its worst. Montanans deserve so much better.
Here ya go, Jon.....remember this one?
The ACA?

The one you had to vote for to see what was in it?

Danny has a selective memory, but to refresh yours, here it is, shown in comparison to the height of Clint Eastwood. FOX news hired a speed reader to try to read it before the vote, but he failed - not even close.

Dan, shame on you for trying to pass this BS tweet off as something of any concern. But Jon is right about one thing....Montanans DO deserve something better.....better than HIM!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACA20000Pages.jpg (47.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #171
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Thanks for posting this. I heard the audio on the way home from work last night, but could not find the video.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #172
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Here ya go, Jon.....remember this one?
The ACA?

The one you had to vote for to see what was in it?

Danny has a selective memory, but to refresh yours, here it is, shown in comparison to the height of Clint Eastwood. FOX news hired a speed reader to try to read it before the vote, but he failed - not even close.

Dan, shame on you for trying to pass this BS tweet off as something of any concern. But Jon is right about one thing....Montanans DO deserve something better.....better than HIM!
The point that the senator was trying to make was that the document was given to him just before a vote and without time to read or understand the amendments. Of course the ACA was a much larger document. The big difference in my mind is that Obama stepped back from trying to push it through in a similar manner and took the bill to the people. There was a lot of time between the amendment phase and the vote. Not a few hours.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #173
kingfin66
Bombardier

I think that my family should come out okay on the new tax bill. We definitely do need to itemize so it will be interesting to see where that puts us. Dropping to the 24% tax rate will definitely be helpful as will keeping the property tax deduction. My property taxes are about $7,000 per year. I also still deduct a pretty good amount of mortgage insurance. As an individual, I am happy. As a fiscal conservative, I don't see this as being good overall for the country. People are citing info about the growth of the economy and its impact without posting sources.

The Joint Committee on Taxation tells a different story.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...rowth-tax-plan
Old 12-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #174
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
The point that the senator was trying to make was that the document was given to him just before a vote and without time to read or understand the amendments. Of course the ACA was a much larger document. The big difference in my mind is that Obama stepped back from trying to push it through in a similar manner and took the bill to the people. There was a lot of time between the amendment phase and the vote. Not a few hours.
Quote:
and took the bill to the people. There was a lot of time between the amendment phase and the vote. Not a few hours.
Not the way I remember it. It was only a couple of days that anyone had time to read it - in facet, NO one read it all. FOX had a speed reader on set trying to gist it and he could not come close. It was never taken to the people. IT was pushed through without a single vote from anyone representing half of the country.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #175
Clocker

Quote:
Of course the ACA was a much larger document. The big difference in my mind is that Obama stepped back from trying to push it through in a similar manner and took the bill to the people. There was a lot of time between the amendment phase and the vote. Not a few hours.
The ACA was a lot longer document (2700 pages), but didn't give a lot of information about what ObamaCare really was. It delegated the determination of much of the actual rules and regulations to the administration, particularly the Secy. of HHS. Reading the bill was both impossible and pointless. And many of the details that actually were in the bills were unilaterally changed later by the administration.

GOP handling of this tax bill is equally objectionable, and like the ACA, pure politics. Nobody could read and understand the ACA bill before it was passed, and the same is true of this tax bill. Not that it matters a lot anyway. The Senate bill still has to go through reconciliation with the House bill, and no one knows what it will look like after that. But I'll bet big bucks that no one gets time to read and understand the final bill before it comes up for a vote.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #176
davew

[QUOTE=reckless;2247183]
If all that was on the up and up, why didn't Obama just write Iran a check and then give a speech explaining this. Or he could have simply unfroze the money on the basis 'because it's Iran's money', as you say. All of Obama's supporters ... the America haters, Wall Street and the banks, plus the compromised and stupid GOP senators, all would have been on board, no?
QUOTE]

to by-pass the aiding terrorist banking regulations - terrorist country and terrorist president involved
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #177
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Not the way I remember it. It was only a couple of days that anyone had time to read it - in facet, NO one read it all. FOX had a speed reader on set trying to gist it and he could not come close. It was never taken to the people. IT was pushed through without a single vote from anyone representing half of the country.
It has been a while since the ACA was passed. Here is the timeline:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politi...ine/index.html

As far as the voting goes, it is true that no republicans voted for it in either the house or senate. By the way, my post was not argument for Obamacare. Rather it was pointing out the timelines of the ACA versus the tax bill. Really, both acts are examples of Congress messing things up to "help" the people. At least in my opinion. It may or may not have been better to take some time rather than just ram it home for the sake of appearing to get something done. After all, they have a government shutdown to avoid.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #178
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Just to set the record straight, we did not owe the current Iranian government one damn cent. The money you are referring to was under a different regime. Once they overthrew the Shah, our obligations to them was over.
And this man was pretending to be a "Christian", in that other thread.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #179
Ruffian1

Quote:
I think that my family should come out okay on the new tax bill. We definitely do need to itemize so it will be interesting to see where that puts us. Dropping to the 24% tax rate will definitely be helpful as will keeping the property tax deduction. My property taxes are about $7,000 per year. I also still deduct a pretty good amount of mortgage insurance. As an individual, I am happy. As a fiscal conservative, I don't see this as being good overall for the country. People are citing info about the growth of the economy and its impact without posting sources.

The Joint Committee on Taxation tells a different story.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...rowth-tax-plan

In my state , and most that I am aware of, mortgage insurance is only for people that have put less than 20% down OR put less than 20% and have not yet made enough principle payments to get the principle down to 20% of the cost of the house at the time of the loan.

Once you DO get to that amount, NO BANK will tell you that you do NOT have to pay it anymore, YOU MUST CONTACT THEM and TELL THEM to stop billing you for probably 80.00 -200.00 per month, depending on the cost of the house.

By law, they are required to stop adding mortgage insurance (or PMI) on to your monthly payments when you hit 20% BUT ONLY if you request them to do so.

If you only put 5% down when you bought your house, in about year 10 if you did not pay any principle down since you started owning your house you will be at the 20% mark.

PLEASE check where you stand and be fully aware of this. Otherwise, your banking institution will be more than happy to collect 80.00-200.00 dollars per month from you for the next 20 years past when it should have stopped.

That will come to anywhere from 9,200.00 to 48,000.00 dollars or more, estimated. ( I do not know what you paid for your house)

I will go out on a limb and assume you could do something more with that money than give it away to that fine upstanding banking institution.

If this helps just one person, writing this was well worth doing.

I sure hope that this helps you or anyone that does not know this.

Last edited by Ruffian1; 12-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #180
Clocker

Quote:
just ram it home for the sake of appearing to get something done
Congress is in session for two more weeks, then their year is over. They have no major accomplishments this year. Trump has gotten none of his legislative program passed. This is a last-gasp effort to look productive and to have something to brag about as they go into campaign mode for the 2018 elections.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: