Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #91
rrpic6

Excellent job by the track crew. Track condition is fast despite 3 inches of snow from 7 to 9 this morning. Just some mist now. We Youngstown Breds are a hearty bunch. (Despite most of the schools in the area cancelling early).

RR
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #92
mountainman

When the footing is dry and the weather is cold there, the grain usually changes late in the day. Never get married to an apparent bias, guys. Identify and ride emergent trends, but stay loose and very flexible.

It is rare there when even potent surface trends are not contradicted by the end of a card. Believe me, well-timed bets ostensibly contrarian to the grain can be extremely profitable at Mahoning.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #93
mountainman

Track closed to training. Some conjecture about potential rail-bias. Which would be a reversal of recent trend.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-25-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #94
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
When the footing is dry and the weather is cold there, the grain usually changes late in the day. Never get married to an apparent bias, guys. Identify and ride emergent trends, but stay loose and very flexible.

It is rare there when even potent surface trends are not contradicted by the end of a card. Believe me, well-timed bets ostensibly contrarian to the grain can be extremely profitable at Mahoning.
that is so true and great advice.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #95
mountainman

Clods. Not much cushion. Cancellation now speculated.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #96
mountainman

Racing will proceed.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #97
bello
Veteran

Rail sure looked like the place to be in race 1 but my guess is that second time starter would have won if he gave the rest of the field a head start. 29-1 in debut, 4-1 today, Dark Maze was very well meant.

Going to play a p3 in race 2. 45/6/45. A bit chalky but that is why P3s were invented.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #98
mountainman

The anti-rail trend continued, but could not be characterized as a "wider the better" bias. Nor was speed angled a bit out from the rail compromised in the slightest.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #99
bello
Veteran

Hey Mountainman,

I have noticed over the years an interesting phenomenon at the Mountain and MVR.

I do not want to mention names of some of the lesser talented jocks on both circuits. We both know who they are.

Why do some of the conditioners continually use the worst jocks. Even when one comes off, they are replaced by another weak riding jock, even though there are better ones available.

Is it just a hobby for some of these owners or trainers and they simply want to give some rarely used and rarely winning riders a break?

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #100
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
Hey Mountainman,

I have noticed over the years an interesting phenomenon at the Mountain and MVR.

I do not want to mention names of some of the lesser talented jocks on both circuits. We both know who they are.

Why do some of the conditioners continually use the worst jocks. Even when one comes off, they are replaced by another weak riding jock, even though there are better ones available.

Is it just a hobby for some of these owners or trainers and they simply want to give some rarely used and rarely winning riders a break?

Thoughts?

I did grade MVR's jockey's earlier in this thread. Colon is gone, probably won't be back to MVR. Jaime Rodriguez did arrive from Finger Lakes and is now the best rider on the grounds. Victor Santiago hasn't ridden lately and is not named to ride any horses in the near future. Unfortunately the current jockey colony is an average one at best. Most of the jocks are now Mountaineer based, along with a few from T-Down. I assume owners and Trainers reward jockeys that will work their horses in the morning. Some Trainers have no choice but to use less talented riders because those are the ones willing to ride for them. Obviously Jock Agents should already know the better riders stick with the better Trainers.

RR
Old 03-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #101
turfeyejoe

Tip of the hat to Mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

Thanks for this advice, Mountainman. Wednesday's card was favoring early speed in the first several races, but I included a couple horses with strong late pace figures in my late pick 3 play. Specifically, Coney Island Kid had the best late pace fig according to Brisnet and he delivered at 40-1.
My $1 pick 3 play returned $2,550 and would have been a couple hundred dollars higher if there hadn't been a late scratch at the gate.
turfeyejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #102
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfeyejoe View Post
Thanks for this advice, Mountainman. Wednesday's card was favoring early speed in the first several races, but I included a couple horses with strong late pace figures in my late pick 3 play. Specifically, Coney Island Kid had the best late pace fig according to Brisnet and he delivered at 40-1.
My $1 pick 3 play returned $2,550 and would have been a couple hundred dollars higher if there hadn't been a late scratch at the gate.

Nice hit, but I doubt there were too many live Pick 3 tickets to #8 in the last race (who then got the post time favorite and winner). Her ML was 20-1 and was about 40-1 when scratched at the gate. You have to be happy that Race 7 was changed to 5 1/2 furlongs from 6 in the middle of the card. #6 Coal Miners Son was rolling late and would have won easily at 6 furlongs. A big difference as he went off at 8/5.

RR
Old 03-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #103
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfeyejoe View Post
If you can hit a $1 Pick 3 for $2500, you're having a good day...nice work!
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #104
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
Mountainman mentioned Jockey Luis Colon being the best jockey in the area. I've been saying that at MVR for the past 3 years. No one comes close. Rumor has it he may be going to Oaklawn when their meet opens in 2 weeks. He deserves a chance to try a major circuit. There is a huge drop off in talent after Colon. Jaime Rodriguez from Finger Lakes hasn't returned to MVR, Walter DeLa Cruz has left for Oaklawn, Augustin Bracho has followed his son Jose Bracho (hope he quits growing, talented as DeShawn Parker) to Tampa. Not sure about Magan Fadlovich's where abouts. My gradings for the riders here:

A+ Luis Colon

A- Luis Quinones (Won the Fall Meet here and at MNR.3rd nationally in wins)
Christian Pilares

B+ Erik Barbaran
Victor Santiago (Just arrived from Hawthorne)

B T D Houghton
Luis Gonzalez

B- Luis Rivera
Edgar Paucar

C+ Sonny Leon
Kaitlin Bedford (Apprentice has shown strength, timing and ability)
Hector Rosario

C Noel Vigil
Gerrardo Corrales
David Cardoso
Kirk Johnson

I'll be polite and won't name the riders I'd labeled a D or F.

RR
I thought I saw Fadlovich at Sam Houston over the winter, but I could be wrong.
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #105
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
I thought I saw Fadlovich at Sam Houston over the winter, but I could be wrong.
She is at Sammy getting very few live mounts, unfortunately. Good patient rider IMO

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: