Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #31
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

It all comes down to record keeping and hit rate vs average payout, over the long term. You have to do 2 things, for long term profit: pick enough winners and have a high enough average payout to return more money than your expenses.

How you attain this doesn't matter. What really matters is: record keeping and discipline.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #32
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
Raybo, could you please explain the "odds spreads" you refer to and how to do the calculations.

Thanks.
I've tried to explain this in previous posts, but, it's almost impossible to do.

I don't use a formula (mathematical calculation) to arrive at an "expected" minimum payout. I've looked at, literally, thousands of superfecta payouts at a select number of tracks, over the years since becoming a superfecta player. I have gained the ability to look at the lowest 4 "near post time" odds on my proposed superfecta ticket, combined with a particular track's normal pool size (the pool size varies according to the type of race, number of entries, which race on the card it is, etc., etc.), and a perception of what type of tickets the public tends to play in these races, to estimate what the lowest possible payout will be, if my ticket hits. Odds are not all that must be considered either. Near post time odds "rankings" must also be considered (many super players will box the top 4 or 5 lowest odds, at or near post time, which means that if 1 or 2 horses, on your proposed ticket, are getting most of the play and you have the other 3 or 4 lowest odds horses on your ticket also, and they are in the top 4 or 5 ranked post time odds set, then the minimum payout will be lower than you would normally think, for that particular odds spread.

My "minimum expected payout" is "calculated", for lack of a better term, in my brain, not through a mathematical formula, per se. Experience, in seeing odds spreads and rankings vs pool sizes vs particular track players' wagering tendencies, enables me to pretty accurately determine if a super will pay my "minimum" when I hit. I fudge, to my advantage, to help insure that the "minimum" is achieved. Sure, I "miscalculate" from time to time and don't get the minimum, but, I also "miscalculate" and get more than the minimum, so, it's pretty much a wash. I try to err, to my advantage, by fudging my minimum expected payout a bit.

The key is to do lots of research, in order to gain the ability to estimate that "minimum" expected payout, and be disciplined in your handicapping and wagering methods. Consistency is all important!

It's the same for WPS or any of the other wager types. You have to gain the experience, track your hit rate and average payout, long term, and remain disciplined in your handicapping and wagering methods.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #33
Gold9er
Apprentice

just do a 100 race practice betting. if your value is over $200 in win , place or show, then your beating the races. then just bet your advantage percentage to win place or show
Gold9er is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #34
OverlayHunter

Thanks, Raybo. I think you've shared enough for me to get the general picture.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #35
gm10

Imo, if you focus on finding winners only, you are hurting your won margins. When there are too many signs that point to the same horse, chances are that the public will have picked up on it, and there is no value left.

A classic situation is pace horses on the dirt. Everybody can spot them, and while they may win more than any other type, they also guarantee you will lose money. It's too obvious, you've got to look for something a bit more subtle.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #36
Wizard of Odds

The answer to the original question is...

Both.

Use (Kelly) X= Edge/Odds. The higher the (positive) X, the better the bet. The formula encapsulates the interplay of a slight edge on favorites and a big edge on longshots.

Play with the formula using examples and you'll see what I mean....

You'll also see that the best bets are a big edge and with low odds (i.e., favorites).

Best to you all,

Wizard

Last edited by Wizard of Odds; 12-08-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Wizard of Odds is offline   Reply With Quote Reply