Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
What if you are betting on another horse? (not the one that causes the minus pool)
No problem with that. What tracks object to is the exploitation of the $1.85 payoff becoming $2.10 at there expense.

Remember that a $216 place or show pay includes the track getting their cut first.

And, to be clear, the ADWs themselves wouldn't care if they weren't pressured from the tracks.

Truthfully, I can't blame them for this.
About 45 years ago I had a friend who was like 5'4" and weighed about 375. As you can imagine, he loved all-you-can-eat buffets, although there weren't very many back then.

Anyway, he invited me for lunch at his new favorite, Chinese AYCE place. When we walked in, the manager glared at us. By the time we'd eaten two plates, he told me that he'd been eating here every day for about a week.

I was full but Greg kept eating. Finally, about 45 minutes in, the manager came over and picked up Greg's plate, saying, "You have enough. You go know!" in a somewhat Charlie Chan-like accent.

I was pretty much humiliated but for Greg it was just another blown restaurant. I vowed never to experience that again.

PS: Greg did not live to 40.

This is how the tracks feel about minus pools.

:-)

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #17
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
This is how the tracks feel about minus pools.

:-)

Dave
But they aren't nearly that polite about it.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:15 PM   #18
arw629
First Time Gelding

Isn’t it all about value? I bet a lot of MNR and the fact that the minimum payout is ten cents on the dollar compared to the standard nickel on the dollar I can find a lot of value. If I handicap a horse in a certain race to run in the money 49 out of 50 times isn’t getting ten cents on the dollar a giant overlay?
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #19
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
Isn’t it all about value? I bet a lot of MNR and the fact that the minimum payout is ten cents on the dollar compared to the standard nickel on the dollar I can find a lot of value. If I handicap a horse in a certain race to run in the money 49 out of 50 times isn’t getting ten cents on the dollar a giant overlay?
If you can indeed find horses who finish in the money 49 times out of 50...then, what kind of "encouragement" are you seeking from us? Your success is assured!
Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

There are more fun ways to spend your last days if you are dead-set on eventually jumping off a bridge.

Bridge Jumping is a bit like martingale and others that increase your short-term chances and also your long-term loss.

Long-term it's no easier than any other way of betting. You still have to be a tremendous horseplayer to keep your head above water. Unfortunately there is no shortcut that let's you skip over the part about betting overlays and passing underlays.

If you are trying to win meaningful amounts, you also have to risk relatively large amounts with this strategy. If you do lose a race, you will have to take a significant loss, or 'chase' (a road to hell with increasing amounts to 'recoup' your losses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
A friend of mine put in a conditional wager at 8/5 for $500.00 to WPS on a race at the Fairgrounds. He placed the wager at 8:00 am before he flew to Dallas for a meeting. The next day when he got to the track, he was looking to see if his wager had gone through, and if it did, had it won. The wager went through, the horse won. But in the last dump, some very large wagers had come in and the horse ended up being 1/2. The large wagers had created a minus show pool. He had a e-mail threatening to close his account for betting into a minus pool. He got a little steamed about that e-mail.
and yes ADWs will shut you down

I made a very modest profit with a series of relatively small (ranging from several hundred to a couple thousand dollars) spot-play wagers on certain negative pool opportunities, and one of my ADWs quickly sent me a cease and desist letter.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If you can indeed find horses who finish in the money 49 times out of 50...then, what kind of "encouragement" are you seeking from us? Your success is assured!
10 out of 11 ?
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #22
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
10 out of 11 ?
20 out of 21?

Didn't Beyer have an article about getting kicked off an ADW because of his show bets?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

If you're going to bridge jump (not recommended), confine it to West Virginia and other states that have a mandatory 10 cent per dollar payout.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #24
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
And, to be clear, the ADWs themselves wouldn't care if they weren't pressured from the tracks.
I thought they got stuck with the loss via net pool pricing. I know that AmWager doesn't allow show wagering on some races that it can be found elsewhere.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #25
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete View Post
I thought they got stuck with the loss via net pool pricing. I know that AmWager doesn't allow show wagering on some races that it can be found elsewhere.
I don't think they allow show from Charlestown on any races.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: