Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #1
yankeelpn

Online Betting While at The Kentucky Derby

I'll be at the Oaks and Kentucky Derby this year and was wondering if anyone has used an online betting app "TVG or TwinSpires" while at the track for the Oaks/KD? Just wondering if its easy to use or cell reception is an issue?? I really dont want to use the betting windows if possible. Thx you!

Last edited by yankeelpn; 04-04-2018 at 05:04 AM.
yankeelpn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Dream_Police

Twinspires.com works fine. I haven't tried TVG,x-press at the track but twinspires also has an app you can download if you do not want to use the regular site.
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
yankeelpn

I was just wondering if it’s worth using while at CD during the derby? I want to stay away from the betting windows if possible.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Don’t count on WiFi. It will work great for 2 minutes at a time then fade for a half hour. Too many signals and too many users. I haven’t been in several years but that’s usually the case at the big events.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #5
señorclipclop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeelpn View Post
I'll be at the Oaks and Kentucky Derby this year and was wondering if anyone has used an online betting app "TVG or TwinSpires" while at the track for the Oaks/KD? Just wondering if its easy to use or cell reception is an issue?? I really dont want to use the betting windows if possible. Thx you!
As mentioned above, the wifi will be dicey as will mobile data with 100k people there.

However, I found that if you go up to the betting windows, the wifi will work great as the ones I saw had wifi routers in each corner.
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
Sundown

Churchill Downs has a betting app that allows you to skip the windows but still bet into the track's pool. Of course, you might still have connectivity issues. https://www.churchilldowns.com/churchill-app
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
yankeelpn

Thx, I was wondering if its worth betting using the App while Im at the Oaks/KD. I want to stay away from the betting windows if all possible
Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
minethatbird08

Like others

Like others have said I think connection will be dicey. Also, tellers are abundant at derby and lines aren't bad, imo. Also , most people don't know how to use automated tellers so those aren't a bad option.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
yankeelpn

Thx! I finally have seats this year and was worried about standing in line for long periods. I might have to try the machines
Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by minethatbird08 View Post
Also , most people don't know how to use automated tellers so those aren't a bad option.
I have never been to a big race like that, but I can imagine a number of people don't even know how to use a live teller at the Derby.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I have never been to a big race like that, but I can imagine a number of people don't even know how to use a live teller at the Derby.
Lol, you are correct. Honestly, I only get annoyed by people who don't know who they are going to bet on and it's their turn and they are still figuring it out.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #12
minethatbird08

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeelpn View Post
Thx! I finally have seats this year and was worried about standing in line for long periods. I might have to try the machines
As a guy I didn't have to worry about it but will say the longest line is for the women's bathroom.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #13
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by minethatbird08 View Post
Like others have said I think connection will be dicey. Also, tellers are abundant at derby and lines aren't bad, imo. Also , most people don't know how to use automated tellers so those aren't a bad option.
been a few times, never had a problem making bets. I did prebet the Derby but the rest of the races, no problemo. Same for well attended Breeders Cups.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
Thunder Gulch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
It cuts both ways. There are a lot of temp mutuel clerks who give you a blank look when calling Pick 4 wheel.

I go every year and it is hit or miss. In some areas, the windows are 45 minutes long. In others, they lines are 5. Sometimes you can get online quickly, but other times you'll drive yourself nuts trying.

The funny thing is that you can easily bet in the last 15 minutes before the actual Derby as everyone is in their seat. Same goes for the mobile signal that seems to suddenly open in the final minutes before the big race.
Thunder Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2018, 04:54 PM   #15
yankeelpn

I’ll go ahead and make my Derby bets on Oaks day.