Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #31
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Magnum Moon 36.47 / 11.99
Quip 37.13 / 12.33
Solomini 36.81 / 12.20
Combatant 36.30 / 12.16

Magnum Moon is the only one playable in the KD from those four IMO.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #32
papillon

Buckpasser X

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Buckpasser-x comes from the dam side. Nyquist, Chrome, and Orb had it via daughters of Buckpasser. It’s a small sample size but Buckpasser-x horses that run a fast final 3/8 hit the KY Derby exacta about 50% of the time. Heck, Chrome and Commanding Curve had it.
But what if Leslie's Lady is the 21st century Aspidistra? Aspidistra was a claimer, before she retired to the shed, but most speed comes down to us through Fappiono via Dr, Fager from Aspidistra.

Leslie's Lady's line is fast, and two could carry speed, Beholder and Mendelssohn
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 PM   #33
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
doesnt the pace of the race have to factor into any discussion about how they came home?
yes pace matters; so does a horse bolting in front of you in the stretch, having to check and losing momentum. How do you quantify that?

With that said I think its impossible not to like Magnum moon -he just wins. Appollo curse and all

Last edited by Afleet; 04-15-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 AM   #34
Richie

yes, what adjustment can be made on the FDB stretch run, had to lose at least 3 lengths there, no?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #35
Parson

does anyone have the track variant for the LA derby and FL derby?
Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #36
papillon

FWIW

Over at Thorograph they are discounting Magnum Moon's final fractions because there was a very strong tailwind and because the track apparently slopes downward.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Over at Thorograph they are discounting Magnum Moon's final fractions because there was a very strong tailwind and because the track apparently slopes downward.
It was the pace IMO. I was standing on the track. There was no strong tailwind. My wife took this.

Last edited by cj; 04-16-2018 at 04:12 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #38
Blenheim
Race Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It was the pace IMO. I was standing on the track. There was no strong tailwind. My wife took this.

Nice photo.

It appears to be definitive w/respect to the wind, although I haven't checked the weather conditions for that time. That windsock flag thingy hanging above the tent shows relatively no wind, maybe 2 to 4 mph . . . any earlier photos showin' a flag?

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #39
sbcaris

variants of preps

Parson: the Louisiana Derby-------09
Wood Memorial----------------------05
Santa Anita Derby-------------------19
Florida Derby-------------------------14
Blue Grass----------------------------16
Arkansas Derby----------------------13

The above are the track variants for the prep races listed. The Wood was run over the fastest track and the SA Derby was the slowest track for prep races this year.
sbcaris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #40
sbcaris

Final Fraction qualifiers

My angle is as follows: A colt must achieve the final 3/8 of a 9 furlong prep race in 37 4/5 or less or run the final eighth of a mile in 12 4/5 or less. And also must not have lost 2 lengths or more from the 6 furlong call to the finish of a 9 furlong prep. Here are the qualifiers this year:

Audible, Bolt DOro, Hofburg, justify, Vino Rosso, My Boy Jack, Noble Indy, Magnum Moon and Combatant.

Note: Solomini and Quip did not qualify because they lost 2 lengths or more from the six furlong call to the finish of their 9 furlong prep races.
sbcaris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #41
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcaris View Post
My angle is as follows: A colt must achieve the final 3/8 of a 9 furlong prep race in 37 4/5 or less or run the final eighth of a mile in 12 4/5 or less. And also must not have lost 2 lengths or more from the 6 furlong call to the finish of a 9 furlong prep. Here are the qualifiers this year:

Audible, Bolt DOro, Hofburg, justify, Vino Rosso, My Boy Jack, Noble Indy, Magnum Moon and Combatant.

Note: Solomini and Quip did not qualify because they lost 2 lengths or more from the six furlong call to the finish of their 9 furlong prep races.
And when you factor Buckpasser - X it makes Audible, Vino, Bolt, Hofburg, and Combatant even stronger plays.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #42
Mc990

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcaris View Post

I'm sure you've enjoyed success on some level with this system but I have to contend your point on Quip and Solomini...

How does losing 2 or more lengths from the 6f call have any relevance? Example- what if the winner freaks and draws off in the stretch to win by 10? Is it not possible for the 2nd place horse to "qualify" on final fractions and theoretically have run the 2nd best race out of all the preps??

If you're (unknowingly) implying that there needs to be a track variant assigned to put the final fractions into proper context, then I can agree with that.... however, that being said, it still doesn't make my first point false.

You are obviously respected on this forum so I'd be curious to hear your take on this....
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #43
CincyHorseplayer

In the last 26 years only 2 horses have finished further than 2 lengths back in their final 9f prep. Thunder Gulch and Mine That Bird. But to Thunder's credit he raced in 2, 9furlong preps and won the Florida Derby. Quip and Solomini were never in the race at all so I'd be hesitant to say the least to give them a pass for their finishes.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #44
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
In the last 26 years only 2 horses have finished further than 2 lengths back in their final 9f prep. Thunder Gulch and Mine That Bird.
I think you can add Giacomo to that list. Can't remember how far back he was in the SA derby, but he finished fourth and think it was maybe 3 or 4 lengths.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #45
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
I think you can add Giacomo to that list. Can't remember how far back he was in the SA derby, but he finished fourth and think it was maybe 3 or 4 lengths.

Giacomo finished 4th by 2 lengths in the Santa Anita derby
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply