Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
GMB@BP

Charlestown handle though is pretty small, it would take much to make a mid priced horse significantly lower.

When I see a horse on Keeneland opening weekend go from gate even money to 1/5, thats a pretty good sized amount of cash.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
Handle may be lower but there are also less race days and less races per day.

I’m sure the difference in both from 2003 to 2018 is staggering.
No doubt there is less racing, but somebody is keeping the handle level, and it isn't Joe Grandstand betting six horse fields with an odds on favorite in half the races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #18
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
No doubt there is less racing, but somebody is keeping the handle level, and it isn't Joe Grandstand betting six horse fields with an odds on favorite in half the races.
And that’s why the tracks are never going to turn that money down.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
And that’s why the tracks are never going to turn that money down.
I agree, but it won't last. It can't last.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I agree, but it won't last. It can't last.
It will last as long as the "suckers" remain in the game. Up'til now...the "suckers" were those who were worse, or more "undisciplined", then we are. Well...as these "suckers" continue to file out of this game, as they've been doing for years now...then the profit margins in this game will continue to shrink...because the remaining overall competition will continue to get stronger and stronger. It will eventually become a battle between the SHARKS(us), and the WHALES("them")...so to speak. And, when the suckers are finally all-gone -- and they will be, eventually -- then WE will be the "suckers". Because, under the current working conditions...the "Sharks" have no chance against the "Whales"...IMO.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
WOW...I've got to get me some GLASSES!

Was he 18-1 before the start...or was I wrong about that too?
According to http://www.buildabet2.com/ he was last seen at 18-1 somewhere around the 6MTP mark...and dropped every minute after that.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It will last as long as the "suckers" remain in the game. Up'til now...the "suckers" were those who were worse, or more "undisciplined", then we are. Well...as these "suckers" continue to file out of this game, as they've been doing for years now...then the profit margins in this game will continue to shrink...because the remaining overall competition will continue to get stronger and stronger. It will eventually become a battle between the SHARKS(us), and the WHALES("them")...so to speak. And, when the suckers are finally all-gone -- and they will be, eventually -- then WE will be the "suckers". Because, under the current working conditions...the "Sharks" have no chance against the "Whales"...IMO.
I agree

As a player I can navigate the higher takeout when its normal pari mutual game, its not easy, but these CRW teams I dont think its possible to now find that value on a consistent enough basis.

75% of my play has moved to contests. I would imagine it continues that way, I cant get CRW or anything in that format.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #23
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I agree

As a player I can navigate the higher takeout when its normal pari mutual game, its not easy, but these CRW teams I dont think its possible to now find that value on a consistent enough basis.

75% of my play has moved to contests. I would imagine it continues that way, I cant get CRW or anything in that format.
I agree with your post. I hate high takeout but at least I can account for it. It is needed to keep the lights on and gates opening.

I really cannot understand this late rush of money. Not that it's coming in late. That part I get and probably has always been that way, maybe just more of it now with CRW betting. What I can't understand is how the late money is so precise. The late dollars are disproportionately tagging the eventual winner. I have no idea how but if this is the way it will always be then the game will completely erode away sooner than later.

Interestingly, I stumbled across a few DRF's from 1989. I just happened to glance at the result charts for Saratoga for a Friday. Every single field was 11+, most were 12 and a couple were 13 horses deep. The payoffs were insane. 15-1 winners were 55-1 shots running second. It looked nothing like the result charts of today. Nothing. If I knew how, I'd import some screen shots for everyone. It's easy to forget how it really used to be.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #24
castaway01

Quote:
Handle may be lower but there are also less race days and less races per day.

I’m sure the difference in both from 2003 to 2018 is staggering.
I'm not sure what your point would be as far as the health of the game---it's like saying "our store's revenue is down 40%" and explaining it "yeah, but we're only open 10 hours a day instead of 16 so it's fine". You're still not making any money.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I'm not sure what your point would be as far as the health of the game---it's like saying "our store's revenue is down 40%" and explaining it "yeah, but we're only open 10 hours a day instead of 16 so it's fine". You're still not making any money.
Well to explain it...
I’m saying comparing total handle dollar for dollar with hundreds less racing days is not the way to do it...
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2018, 09:09 AM   #26
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

I play the Pick 3 - 4's so I can't be affected by any late odds changes
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: