Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
paulbenny

BRAD COX

I am amazed at his statistics. Is there any data to suggest he is not clean, and doing things a la Navarro etc.?
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

A trainer once told me: "If we don't cheat, we don't eat." It's not a question of whether they cheat, but how often. There's no way that 20% wins used to be the gold standard, and now we have dozens (hundreds? thousands?) who easily reach that, and dozens who get 30%, unless something is going on. The reduction in field size couldn't have created that huge of a difference, but the latest designer drug could.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete View Post
A trainer once told me: "If we don't cheat, we don't eat." It's not a question of whether they cheat, but how often.
Well...we must assume that they like to eat quite often...NO?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
I am amazed at his statistics. Is there any data to suggest he is not clean, and doing things a la Navarro etc.?
Hey Paul,

I'm just curious, I don't see anything that great about Cox's stats at least at Aqueduct from the last meet

Is he doing much better somewhere else?
TheOracle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Hey Paul,

I'm just curious, I don't see anything that great about Cox's stats at least at Aqueduct from the last meet

Everywhere else.

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...e=T&eID=241578

Last edited by cj; 04-20-2018 at 09:43 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
TheOracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Ok got it

Thanks
Old 04-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
GMB@BP

Someone said that trainer percentages are much higher than historically, and the higher percentage may be an indication that drugs are rampant.

I do think there definitely people who are breaking the rules, but I actually think its gone down from say 10 years ago where there was just a large group of trainers flaunting it (like we saw with Navarro last year), and nothing was being done about it.

Its still there but I dont see it as much as before. I know in socal there are very few trainers I openly question what they are doing.

I do believe all barns are keeping up with whatever the overall group does, and if that blurs the lines of legal then I think they see it as part of the business. This is not administering snake oil or the other bullcrap that was going on but more what we saw from Ron Ellis, trying to bend the rules as much as possible.

But part of the reasons why trainers have larger win percentages as a group...they run their horses less and only when conditions are perfect. They run in smaller fields under perfect scenarios.

I dont think the information age, and social media helps the situation. High end horses have much more to lose with losses than they don wins now. A loss by a top horse would just be a loss not "so disappointed in", the horse is "so overrated", "I told you the horse is no good"...Instead of running 3 weeks later in the next logical spot they wait 60-90 days for that perfect race.

So does Brad Cox cheat, maybe, I dot follow him. I am just saying a 30% winning percentage is not the same as it used to be.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete View Post
A trainer once told me: "If we don't cheat, we don't eat." It's not a question of whether they cheat, but how often. There's no way that 20% wins used to be the gold standard, and now we have dozens (hundreds? thousands?) who easily reach that, and dozens who get 30%, unless something is going on. The reduction in field size couldn't have created that huge of a difference, but the latest designer drug could.

That is really funny unless you are or were a clean trainer. And having heard that before, the only trainers I have heard say that have either cheated (and all the clean trainers knew it) or they were terrible or both.

What a convenient excuse for all phases of the game that struggle at their craft.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #9
TheOracle

Quote:
Hey Paul,

Of course as soon as I post this he comes through with a $30.20 payout across the board today at Aqueduct

8th race
#5 Pioneer Spirit

Ask me if I was smart enough to play him today............................nope!!!

Unbelievable!!!

Last edited by TheOracle; 04-20-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
TheOracle

Quote:
Of course as soon as I post this he comes through with a $30.20 payout across the board today at Aqueduct

8th race
#5 Pioneer Spirit

Ask me if I was smart enough to play him today............................nope!!!

Unbelievable!!!
I still can't believe I didn't get this play!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #11
BIG49010

Probably 100% legal, but ask a couple owners what their vet bills are like, and if they are making any profit? Some don't care, win at whatever the cost, others get sick of the bills and leave the sport. Time will tell, if he is real trainer, owners will stay with him and numbers will be consistent.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
He started 4 today at Keeneland and won 3. All with Geroux up.
Current Kee meet stats 23 starts 12 wins 1 second 1 third 56% win clip.

Last edited by jahura2; 04-22-2018 at 10:20 PM.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 PM   #13
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2 View Post
He started 4 today at Keeneland and won 3. All with Geroux up.
Current Kee meet stats 23 starts 12 wins 1 second 1 third 56% win clip.
Interesting how that "mojo" travels around:
Lake, Mullins, Ness, Evans, Rodriguez, Navarro, Cox (and about 40 in between). Seems that someone always finds the magic dust and can't lose for a while before coming back to earth.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
RunForTheRoses

He is quite a trainer and you must respect. Chad Brown, I know he has extremely well bred stock but, he is on a roll of rolls. EVERYTHING he has been sending out is live at Keeneland.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #15
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
Interesting how that "mojo" travels around:
Lake, Mullins, Ness, Evans, Rodriguez, Navarro, Cox (and about 40 in between). Seems that someone always finds the magic dust and can't lose for a while before coming back to earth.
The issue though is Cox's horses have form that matches up, I have not seen any "that horse had no shot on paper" type wins. Oh that horse just improved 25 points out of no where.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: