Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
sbcaris

final 3/8 for major 9 furlong prep races

So Far the following horses have qualified on my final 3/8 angle in a major 9 furlong prep race: SA Derby, Wood, Blue Grass, Louisiana Derby,Florida Derby and Ark Derby. (Note- the qualifier must ran the last 3 furlongs faster than 38 flat.)

Florida Derby------------Audible 37 2/5
------- ----------------Hofburg 37 3/5

Louisiana Derby---------My Boy Jack 36 4/5

Wood Memorial---------Vino Rosso 37 2/5

Santa Anita Derby------Justify----- 37 flat
------------------------Bolt D Oro- 37 1/5

This method gets around 67% Derby winners from only around 33% of the starters. The impact value is around 2.00.
sbcaris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
Afleet

What did Free Drop Billy run last 3/8 in the Bluegrass?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #3
bobozoid

according to trakus and the formula i use

Free Drop Billy 38.67
bobozoid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
clicknow

Hofburg, Mendelssohn and Audible, My Boy Jack would also qualify, but not sure what "formula" you use. Final 3/8 doesn't tell as much as final 1/8 for me.

I believe Animal Kingdom ran 39.3 in his final prep. (Midnight Interlude and Comma to the Top ran 36.7 and 37.2 and didn't do squat) , super saver 38.07 and I don't believe Silverstone or Grindstone would meet your specs, as both were over 38 in their final preps.... Mine That Bird was 40.35 -----which is why 3/8th doesn't really work for me w/out "other measurements". OF course the person who did these measurements may not use the same "formula" as you do.....we seem to run into that problem every year.

Last edited by clicknow; 04-08-2018 at 02:51 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobozoid View Post
according to trakus and the formula i use

Free Drop Billy 38.67
Thanks; with being checked and held up then herded out I would think you would have to knock off a few clicks. How do you quantify loss of momentum?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Hofburg, Mendelssohn and Audible, My Boy Jack would also qualify, but not sure what "formula" you use. Final 3/8 doesn't tell as much as final 1/8 for me.

I believe Animal Kingdom ran 39.3 in his final prep. (Midnight Interlude and Comma to the Top ran 36.7 and 37.2 and didn't do squat) , super saver 38.07 and I don't believe Silverstone or Grindstone would meet your specs, as both were over 38 in their final preps.... Mine That Bird was 40.35 -----which is why 3/8th doesn't really work for me w/out "other measurements". OF course the person who did these measurements may not use the same "formula" as you do.....we seem to run into that problem every year.
Interesting to note My Boy Jack really flattened in the last 1/8 ran it slower than Noble Indy who was near the fast pace all the way around. IMO My Boy Jack will be much better as a miler and no real threat at 1 1/4.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Interesting to note My Boy Jack really flattened in the last 1/8 ran it slower than Noble Indy who was near the fast pace all the way around. IMO My Boy Jack will be much better as a miler and no real threat at 1 1/4.
He did hang yet still scored a Brisnet LP figure 20 points higher than the winner. MBJ should win his share of 8.5F outings. He still needs points to make Derby gate.
f2tornado is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
He did hang yet still scored a Brisnet LP figure 20 points higher than the winner. MBJ should win his share of 8.5F outings. He still needs points to make Derby gate.
Think they were talking about the Lexington for him.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
Bennie

I just put a futures bet in on My Boy Jack. TVG/NJBets is offering a money back if your horse doesn't make the gate, up to $10. I think he is sitting at #20 on the points list and with the Arkansas coming up and with Magnum, Solomini, and Quip already ahead on points someone else would have to finish in the top 3 to push him out and you can usually count on a defection or 2 in the top 20. I think he should make the gate but if he doesn't I get my money back. If he does then I have him at about 30-1 if that is where he closes today. Thought it was worth the price.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2018, 12:14 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I did a bit of research on this and the last three furlongs alone isn't really all that relative. I've only done 2015-2017 so far, but when you rank the field by last fraction and then by speed figure (I'm using TimeformUS adjusted last fraction and speed figures---of course I am) and add them together (lowest score wins), the winner was in the top 3 each time.

The top rating ran 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in the three years.

The winner was rated 8th, 9th, and 4th on last fraction alone.

The winner was rated 2nd, 2nd, and 1st on speed figure.

I'm going to go back 10 more years and see how it holds up, particularly when non-favorites were winning. I'll post more soon.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I did a bit of research on this and the last three furlongs alone isn't really all that relative. I've only done 2015-2017 so far, but when you rank the field by last fraction and then by speed figure (I'm using TimeformUS adjusted last fraction and speed figures---of course I am) and add them together (lowest score wins), the winner was in the top 3 each time.

The top rating ran 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in the three years.

The winner was rated 8th, 9th, and 4th on last fraction alone.

The winner was rated 2nd, 2nd, and 1st on speed figure.

I'm going to go back 10 more years and see how it holds up, particularly when non-favorites were winning. I'll post more soon.
Added three more years, have 2017 to 2012 now. Here is where the winner was rated:

Combined Last speed figure and last fraction rankings:

1-3-3-2-2-3

Last speed figure

1-2-2-1-4-2

Last fraction

4-9-8-5-4-7

Keep in mind I only rated 9f dirt races.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
GMB@BP

Quote:
Added three more years, have 2017 to 2012 now. Here is where the winner was rated:

Combined Last speed figure and last fraction rankings:

1-3-3-2-2-3

Last speed figure

1-2-2-1-4-2

Last fraction

4-9-8-5-4-7

Keep in mind I only rated 9f dirt races.
Interesting in the Last Speed Figure....

of course the last 5 years has been very formful so guess that is to be expected.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Interesting in the Last Speed Figure....

of course the last 5 years has been very formful so guess that is to be expected.
Yes, agree, though I'll Have Another is included in there too.

It is getting trickier as I go backwards. Synth racing was a lot more prevalent in the big prep races so I'm not sure how much the data will really mean unless I include it. Leaving out up to this point really didn't mean much since very few of the horses from synthetic preps ran much at all.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Yes, agree, though I'll Have Another is included in there too.

It is getting trickier as I go backwards. Synth racing was a lot more prevalent in the big prep races so I'm not sure how much the data will really mean unless I include it. Leaving out up to this point really didn't mean much since very few of the horses from synthetic preps ran much at all.
Good point about syn, really clouded derby preps for a while.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
with being checked and held up then herded out I would think you would have to knock off a few clicks. How do you quantify loss of momentum?
That's a good question.

I put Free Drop Billy in some of my future wager exacta combos, in case the speed gets wobbly legged in the stretch. The other 2 I did this with were Solomini and Hofburg. None are flashy but may be "gas in tank at 10F" types.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply