Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #1696
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Derby 2019....whatever they decide is gonna be controversial.
if they'd let the stand, it wouldn't have been that controversial. The jock wasnt even using a left handed whip, although 3 expert stewards took a gutsy decision, I'm not sure I agree with them fully. Sad..
Old 05-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #1697
delayjf

Quote:
He interfered with the which makes it a by the book call.
I agree on principle except that I've seen lots of incidences worse than this not be called by the book.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #1698
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Who cares about the effort? The horse came out and almost put a horse into the dirt. How would that have been for racing's image?

People who are calling "total bullshit" and "I'm quitting" are being absolutely RIDICULOUS.

YOU GUYS CRY CONSTANTLY FOR STEWARDS TO BE CONSISTENT.

Then when we have a race that most likely WOULD HAVE BEEN A DQ in the 5th race on Friday, it shouldn't be a DQ because of the Derby?

Also hilarious.
he didn't put nobody into the dirt. In terms of high-profile almost into the dirt interference, Alysheba, Afleet alex are the ones that come to mind..but both won in spite for almost falling down. War of Will gave in too easily ..doubt he was really "impeded". Wonder if soccer dive tactics have come to horse racing now.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #1699
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
he didn't put nobody into the dirt. In terms of high-profile almost into the dirt interference, Alysheba, Afleet alex are the ones that come to mind..but both won in spite for almost falling down. War of Will gave in too easily ..doubt he was really "impeded". Wonder if soccer dive tactics have come to horse racing now.
if war of will or long range toddy go to the ground, and they could have, it may have been the end of racing in todays political climate.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #1700
Greyfox

I have trouble with Video replays in all sports.
If the refs on the field can't make up their minds in 3 min something is wrong with the rule or the sport.
In this instance, the video review was far too long and in my opinion a borderline infraction might have happened or maybe not.
I would have left #7 keep the win. Terrible call in decision time alone.

Last edited by Greyfox; 05-04-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #1701
Bruiser1

While I can see both sides, this is a black eye for the sport. Anyone else notice the CD crowd booing the official winner?
Bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #1702
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
if war of will or long range toddy go to the ground, and they could have, it may have been the end of racing in todays political climate.
This exactly IMO. They almost clipped legs and if they go down, that's potentially a couple dead horses and jockeys (some of the best in racing too). RIP to the sport with everything going on at Santa Anita. Was a good call*

*Although I think the sport should move away from DQs, let the results stand for all races, and just heavily fine jockeys and trainers.
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #1703
snappit

As I understand USA rules (and maybe wrong) they made correct decision under those rules. However, here in the UK the rules are different and Maximum Security would have almost certainly kept the race.

From a betting point of view here bettors are generally protected in cases like this as most bookmakers operate a first past the post double result rule which means they will pay out on the official result after the stewards enquiry and on the horse that was first past the post before the enquiry.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #1704
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
He actually almost put two horses into the dirt...my mistake.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #1705
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
While I can see both sides, this is a black eye for the sport. Anyone else notice the CD crowd booing the official winner?
That's nothing. NY fans threw beer bottles at Marylou Whitney after Smarty Jones got beat in the Belmont Stakes.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #1706
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
I agree. The NBC announcers never said anything about an objection; just a foul claim by Prat against Maximum Security. We saw Prat and Saez on the phone talking to the stewards. Why didn't Gaffalione claim foul? Why weren't the stewards talking to the one guy who DID appear to be fouled?

I didn't stand to win from the result either way.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #1707
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
I agree. The NBC announcers never said anything about an objection; just a foul claim by Prat against Maximum Security. We saw Prat and Saez on the phone talking to the stewards. Why didn't Gaffalione claim foul? Why weren't the stewards talking to the one guy who DID appear to be fouled?

I didn't stand to win from the result either way.
Why would they have to talk to Gaff? You could clearly see he was interfered with, and who started the chain reaction.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #1708
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have trouble with Video replays in all sports.
If the refs on the field can't make up their minds in 3 min something is wrong with the rule or the sport.
In this instance, the video review was far too long and in my opinion a borderline infraction might have happened or maybe not.
I would have left #7 keep the win. Terrible call in decision time alone.
You would have hated the early days of film patrol at Santa Anita in the late 1940's. They had to develop the film, so 15 minute inquiries were common.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #1709
holdalltix

Jerry has the right idea

I tend to agree with Jerry, let the results stand and heavily fine and or suspend the jockeys. While the stewards ruling may have technically been correct the image it gives horse racing to the new and/or casual fan is not very flattering. Jockey suspensions with no DQ seems to be the way to go here, hell the fans spooked Maximum Security and most importantly it was unintentional. Unfortunately this was a blackeye to a reeling sport looking to improve it's image and capture new fans.
holdalltix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #1710
TJC

didn't anyone see the 20 come over on the 2. the jockey on #2 had to hold up.
the finished should have been 13 and 8

Yes and I wondered why the stewards didn't see it
TJC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply