Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 AM   #46
stringmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
I'm sure Vic will understand, oldddaddy, but since it was addressed to me, I would greatly appreciate your clarifying what you said to me. I honestly have no idea what your sentence means.
I'm sure it was in regards to refereeing basketball. "Stripes" being the ref.

Understandable that Vic has tempered his participation here as he prepares for OP coming up in Jan.
stringmail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #47
sammy the sage

Terrific job by Vic...congrats... wsop tv time next year!
Old 11-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #48
olddaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
I'm sure Vic will understand, oldddaddy, but since it was addressed to me, I would greatly appreciate your clarifying what you said to me. I honestly have no idea what your sentence means.
It was addressed to the thread title. If one quotes a person that means it is addressed to that person. stringmail answered your question. No harm meant.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #49
stuball

FYI

Just a note about great tourny players. Charlie Davis who I know posts here sometimes finished 2nd in the BC Challenge. He is a great guy and he has really stepped up his game to consistently finish on or near the top in some of the biggest tournaments. Sophia probably knows him....I am so happy for him.

Stuball
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 AM   #50
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Vic gives a shout-out on twitter with the tools he uses in tourneys:
vic stauffer ‏@goofonroof Nov 12

Massive props must always go to Thorograph & DRF Formulator. Two of the best tools in the game. And of course Bet America! #bigfunattheseashore
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #51
Si2see

For those non contest players, Barbara Bowley is in my eyes an elite contest player and if she continues to post here we are privileged to have her here.

Also congrats Vic on your recent success. Good luck at Oaklawn

Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 12:53 AM   #52
Sophia

Thank you Si2See... very kind of you.

I am just learning about the posting conventions here.

Charlie Davis is an awesome contest player and made a huge leap in his tourney play in the past year.

OldDaddy, I do get the reference now -- it was clever and pithy.

Offer still stands to anyone interested to meet up at the AQU tourney this Saturday or Del Mar in general at other times. At AQU will be there with headphones on and with my business partner Dr. Anthony Trezza. Love talking contests and horses in general so hope to see you.

Now I will quit hijacking this nice thread about Vic.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #53
Grits

Welcome to Pace Advantage, Sophia!!

You are in a league of your own and this is a fine, fine thing in an endeavor usually taken, almost solely, by men. You, and, I believe, Judy Wagner? You two are the only female major contest winners I can recall. If there are others, they escape my knowledge, which is no astonishing feat, I promise. Anyway, congratulations for them, too.

On good days, these gentlemen are a teachable bunch, on excellent days, they do a great amount of the teaching.

Take care, and again, welcome.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #54
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Welcome to Pace Advantage, Sophia!!

You are in a league of your own and this is a fine, fine thing in an endeavor usually taken, almost solely, by men. You, and, I believe, Judy Wagner? You two are the only female major contest winners I can recall. If there are others, they escape my knowledge, which is no astonishing feat, I promise. Anyway, congratulations for them, too.

On good days, these gentlemen are a teachable bunch, on excellent days, they do a great amount of the teaching.

Take care, and again, welcome.
HAHA. Most of us guys could refute that endlessly.

Handicapping is such a guy's thing that the few gals that do post here, and play in general, adds a dimension that's almost indescribable. The old cliche of the gals that pick colors and names is so old and worn out, but still prevalent. My wife can read a form with the best of them, and I wouldn't hesitate to play a strong recommendation of her's with serious money at any time.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #55
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
HAHA. Most of us guys could refute that endlessly.

Handicapping is such a guy's thing that the few gals that do post here, and play in general, adds a dimension that's almost indescribable. The old cliche of the gals that pick colors and names is so old and worn out, but still prevalent. My wife can read a form with the best of them, and I wouldn't hesitate to play a strong recommendation of her's with serious money at any time.
Good for her!! This makes for a long marriage, ULT. I'm happy for you.

I have a friend from NJ, now in Florida, whose father spent much of his life at Monmouth. She loves betting, just as her late dad, yet, she's never wanted to learn to handicap. On Breeders' Cup, she's been up early in the day as much as 1K and would ask me to keep her money so her husband, who was with us, wouldn't see her winnings. She bet colors, birthdays, house numbers, you name it. .... Without fail, she'd say to me, "just give me $100 for this race". By day's end, she'd lost all of it back. .... So many times, I'd tell her, "you'll lose your money doing this. Your luck won't last, this isn't the way to play horses." She knew it, and proved it, time and again.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #56
dilanesp

My mother has gone to the races since she was a kid (she saw Seabiscuit run in person) and started teaching me to handicap when I was 5. And she learned from her mother. And she's a very decent handicapper- cashed a big ticket on Take Charge Brandi in the BC a couple of years ago, for instance.

Bill Clinton's mother was apparently a very good handicapper and a fixture at Oaklawn.

It's definitely not completely a man's game. Just that a lot of girls don't get socialized into it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #57
ultracapper

My wife, with 3 older brothers and a father that all played the game seriously, introduced her to it at a very young age. She can remember going to Longacres when she was first allowed in after her 10th birthday. Her father always challenged her, and he ultimately was the driving force in challenging me to master handicapping, as much as it can be mastered anyhow.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2016, 12:49 PM   #58
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
My mother has gone to the races since she was a kid (she saw Seabiscuit run in person) and started teaching me to handicap when I was 5. And she learned from her mother. And she's a very decent handicapper- cashed a big ticket on Take Charge Brandi in the BC a couple of years ago, for instance.

Bill Clinton's mother was apparently a very good handicapper and a fixture at Oaklawn.

It's definitely not completely a man's game. Just that a lot of girls don't get socialized into it.
Dilane, here's one more, then I'll stop. My housekeeper is 70 years of age. She's from Chicago. When she was a little girl, preschool, she'd go with her grandma to get the DRF at a nearby store when Arlington was running. (Lord, how long has the print edition been in existence?) They didn't go to the races much, grandma, instead, would go home, handicap the races, make her notes and picks, and then take the trolley to her bookie to make her bets. .... Grandma always had money. I've so enjoyed learning about Grandma's love of racing. You're correct, this is not a social introduction. For women, it's a solitary thing.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #59
Sophia

Grits, couldn't agree more about the solo thing with female handicappers. Sounds like some good material you all have on this topic. Would make a fun book of stories or at least a nice short story or blog entry.

Thanks for all the kind words.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #60
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Congratulations Vic!

Multiple successes go to show true skill level vs. just getting lucky one time.

(When Hollywood Park was set to close at the end of 2013, I arranged a trip there in December so as to not miss adding them to my "Track Collection" visit list. Vic was very kind to secure me some free passes over the 4 days so as to reduce my trip expenses. Somewhere on an older laptop I have some photos of Vic in the Hollywood Announcer's Booth working his trade.).

Best wishes Vic on your future gig at OP and continued success on your tourney journey!
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply