Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
luisbe

Red A Stokes III

I couldn't find any news regarding to him this year, Anyone has any idea why he isn't running?
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm going to assume you mean the jockey Rex Stokes III? He hasn't ridden since August 15, 2018 at Thistledown. He actually won his last couple races, but I can't find any news that indicates why he hasn't been seen.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
luisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm going to assume you mean the jockey Rex Stokes III? He hasn't ridden since August 15, 2018 at Thistledown. He actually won his last couple races, but I can't find any news that indicates why he hasn't been seen.
He is 35-36 so that's weird.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbe View Post
He is 35-36 so that's weird.
Only thing I could think of that probably wouldn't be reported is if he just couldn't make weight any more. Injuries, accidents, whatever, you'd think that would be somewhere on the internet.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
tbwinner

Inosencio Diego is another one that I wonder where he ended up. He won a few for me as an owner and did well for a few trainers on the Chicago circuit. No Equibase activity since 2013 and he was pretty young. No injuries or retirement show on a quick Google search.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwinner View Post
Inosencio Diego is another one that I wonder where he ended up. He won a few for me as an owner and did well for a few trainers on the Chicago circuit. No Equibase activity since 2013 and he was pretty young. No injuries or retirement show on a quick Google search.
I would think making weight might've been the problem for Inosencio. Remember the dinner when he came with us after our Paceadvantage get-together at Arlington? He cleaned his plate...2 fairly large pork chops and all the sides. I too often wonder when riders seem to disappear and we had quite a few on the Chicago circuit that did disappear. I'm thinking most likely,as Cj mentioned above, making weight is the problem.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred View Post
I would think making weight might've been the problem for Inosencio. Remember the dinner when he came with us after our Paceadvantage get-together at Arlington? He cleaned his plate...2 fairly large pork chops and all the sides. I too often wonder when riders seem to disappear and we had quite a few on the Chicago circuit that did disappear. I'm thinking most likely,as Cj mentioned above, making weight is the problem.
I know when we owned, there were a number of riders I remembered who were now exercise riders.

I wonder how many of these old favorites are still up on the horses but without their names in the program. Maybe in another 2,000 or so "I Am Horseracing" profiles we'll find out!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
mountainman

Quote:
Only thing I could think of that probably wouldn't be reported is if he just couldn't make weight any more. Injuries, accidents, whatever, you'd think that would be somewhere on the internet.
Rex is a bird. Lol. And not real happy with me since I defended Almodavar after that infamous taunting incident.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Rex is a bird. Lol. And not real happy with me since I defended Almodavar after that infamous taunting incident.
Any idea why there are no more mounts?
Old 12-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
mountainman

Quote:
Any idea why there are no more mounts?
I wont say Rex isn't driven to succeed..but he IS wired a bit differently, An extremely polite and modest guy with a deceptively laid back manner that hides a hyper-active mind, and, in the opinion of some, a puzzling lack of self confidence and regrettable level of insecurity.

I watched him ride just one race as a 10-bug and was dead sure i'd seen the next Shoemaker. But while he's had a good (if somewhat spotty) career, Rex has no doubt fallen short of capitalizing on his incredible gifts.

Perhaps not by accident, Rex's best success came with now-deceased Jack Poole Sr hustling his book. Jack served as a VERY firm father figure, which some believe was needed.

I'll have my brother find out what's become of Rex. I certainly wish him the best.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: