Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #31
JHK

Love RTN but they need some changes.

The 2 hour "click here or we will send you back to the main menu" garbage needs to go.

And it's ridiculous not to be able to stream more than one race at a time unless you use their inferior "multicast" that won't let you have 4 tracks of screen equal size, then go full screen.

Other than that it is great, a true bargain at $15/month.
JHK is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #32
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I love it.

Gave up my DishNet subscription with 5 TVs (at $135 per month) for 3 tracks with great resolution for like $15 per month.

Support is superb.
H Dave....If you remember, I assisted you with your Dish subscription and your configuration in the "war room"..Anyway, I decided to sub to the RTN on line version. I am pleased with it.
For 15 bucks a month it is well worth it.
If I want, I can run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV for a better experience.
I wish RTN had a mobile app.
RTN does hiccup on my phone though.
I'm planning giving RTN support a call to see if there are any tricks and tips.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #33
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingpk3 View Post
just stick a $35 roku streaming stick into an hdmi input snd you are good to go
Hi former Dish tech and supervisor here.
To access RTN via satellite, In addition to RT, a Dish subscription to basic programming is required. Also, because RTN comes from an older satellite in another orbital slot( 118.7 degrees) and the " bird" transmits on a higher frequency, a much larger antenna is required. Its a .75 meter ( approx 32 inches wide by 20 inches in height) It is a pretty heavy piece of material and as such, I don't recommend a roof mount.
Anyway, I have the on line version and its great, All HD feeds. And the lag behind real time is minimal. In fact, its actually closer to real time than the satellite version.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #34
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter14 View Post
Can people give me a review of RTN-thinking of dumping TVG-when I do watch it I mute it
I can't remember the last time I tuned into TVG.
IMO, they are too west coast centric.
Todd Schrup has this annoying man crush on "DWL- Marrrrr".
PLus, for whatever reason, TVG uses their own graphics in lieu of the track graphics. Why they do this...I have no clue. TVG takes down the running order from the screen at the top of the stretch. And they don't show the running order after the race has ended.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:24 PM   #35
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The upside to casting to the TV is the website has better functionality than the app. The multicast is nice if you are playing several signals, and replay searching is much easier and faster.
I went on the google play store on my phone( was at a friends house on Haskell Day.
I didn't find an app for RTN....I think I may be misunderstanding the process whereby one accesses RTN's app
Old 08-06-2022, 09:29 PM   #36
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post

The 2 hour "click here or we will send you back to the main menu" garbage needs to go.

And it's ridiculous not to be able to stream more than one race at a time unless you use their inferior "multicast" that won't let you have 4 tracks of screen equal size, then go full screen.

I suspect it is a bandwidth issue.
Inactive receivers are 'kicked off' to reduce traffic form their servers.
To eliminate being timed out, simply click on something else and click right back to where you were.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:46 AM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
I went on the google play store on my phone( was at a friends house on Haskell Day.
I didn't find an app for RTN....I think I may be misunderstanding the process whereby one accesses RTN's app
The app is for TV. On phones, tablets, laptop, etc., you go to the website.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 04:54 AM   #38
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK View Post

I built a new pc specifically so I could stream several tracks at once. Previously had a 15in laptop and now have 32in 4k monitor. I wager on Twinspires and use their pop out video. It was a pain in the ass to resize the windows to try and fill my monitor. I came across a program called WindowGrid that resizes my windows automatically. Just drag the window into the grid, click the space bar and it resizes perfectly. When I want to watch a race I just go full screen on that window and when the race is over just minimize it back into the grid.

I did 10 tracks one time but the windows were too small for my liking. Our fixed wireless internet can't handle it and had to make this video using my mobile hotspot. Waiting to see if fiberoptic internet will be expanded in our subdivision as it literally is surrounding us. If it does come our way I'll buy a 2nd matching monitor.

Last edited by SharpCat; 08-07-2022 at 04:59 AM.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 11:34 PM   #39
thespaah

RTN Tech support

I called them this morning.
First, the tech answered within one minute of hold time beginning.
Here's what I covered.
1. the time out feature is due to the use of bandwidth. The Rep said two hours is where the site will time out a user for inactivity.
2. On mobile devices, the time out can be as few at ten minutes. Again, this is to limit bandwidth use and reduce traffic from the RTN servers.
3. Some mobile devices have an issue when a user attempts to scroll down ONLY through the listings of available tracks. The site will auto refresh and require the user to log back onto the site. Scrolling UP does not affect status
BTW, the tech wasn't familiar with this issue and had me clear the browser history on my phone. That didn't work. SO the tech actually tried it on HIS phone. And lo and behold, the same thing happened.
When he attempted to scroll down, the page refreshed( the little circle spins around) and kicks the user off the site.
I played around with that screen and was able to scroll down by GENTLY touching the phone screen and slowly dragging downward.
One other issue I've noticed.
On my mobile device( phone) ..If I open another window in a browser OR click on an app, and then attempt to return to the window opened to RTN, it displays an error message. At this point, one must log back into RTN.
This is a pain in the hind quarters for sure.
BTW, NONE of these issues affect those using a windows based computer.
Don't know about Apple products.
Last item. The tech seemed to imply that google chrome users call into the tech support more often than firefox or microsoft edge users. Again, this pertains to mobile devices.
BTW, for those wishing to use the on line version and display on their TV, Roku or Amazon Firestick is required, There is NO WAY to cast RTN to a TV from a mobile device.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:42 AM   #40
foregoforever

Quote:
BTW, for those wishing to use the on line version and display on their TV, Roku or Amazon Firestick is required, There is NO WAY to cast RTN to a TV from a mobile device.
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but I often cast from an Android tablet showing their video in Chrome to a Chromecast dongle connected to an HDMI port on my TV. There are 3 dots in the lower right corner of the Chrome player that launches the cast dialogue. It would be my preferred way of viewing were it not for the effing two-hour timeout.

The "inactivity timeout" is absurd. I'm not inactive. I'd just like to set up to watch the signal from my track of choice without having to go back and reset everything 3 or 4 times during the race card.

I also use a Roku, but there's a problem if you have more than one of them. Each time you switch between Rokus, you have to log in again, which is painful since Rokus don't have keyboards.

RTN is a great deal, but I've told their rep that I'd gladly pay twice the cost if they'd improve these technical issues and lose the timeout.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 02:42 AM   #41
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
H Dave....If you remember, I assisted you with your Dish subscription and your configuration in the "war room"..Anyway, I decided to sub to the RTN on line version. I am pleased with it.
For 15 bucks a month it is well worth it.
If I want, I can run an HDMI cable from my laptop to my TV for a better experience.
I wish RTN had a mobile app.
RTN does hiccup on my phone though.
I'm planning giving RTN support a call to see if there are any tricks and tips.
I do recall that.

Back then I was playing more and had the gym in my garage, so the 5-TV setup was really cool, even if expensive. And it was still RTN via Dishnet.

But by comparison, what I get for $15 per month on my monitor (via HDMI, btw) is fantastic.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #42
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but

I also use a Roku, but there's a problem if you have more than one of them. Each time you switch between Rokus, you have to log in again, which is painful since Rokus don't have keyboards.
I have the Roku app on my phone. It allows me to connect to my various Rokus and use the phone as a remote - which then allows me to type in things with a regular keyboard (on the phone).
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #43
MooseDog

Quote:
TVG takes down the running order from the screen at the top of the stretch. And they don't show the running order after the race has ended.
If the track broadcast is taking the track feed (i.e. top four runners) then it is the placing judge at the track taking down the order. This is standard practice, at least in California.

If the track broadcast is using Trakus or Equibase graphics (usually full order line) then the numbers will continue to the finish line.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: